Page 575 of 585 FirstFirst ... 75475525565573574575576577 ... LastLast
Results 5,741 to 5,750 of 5844

Thread: My Journey from Sugar Burner to Fat Burner - jenn26point2's Primal Journal page 575

jenn26point2 is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Brad's depression is bothering him again. Actually, he's got a whole slew of things bothering him I guess - depression, anxiety, lack of focus, weight gain, constant hunger, fatigue. He has stayed home the last two days. He's considering going to the doctor. I suggested he have his thyroid tested for free T3/T4 and his TSH. I can't remember what all he should have tested... won't matter anyway. If he's within the "normal" ranges, she won't do anything about it anyway. He should probably see a functional med doc or an endocrinologist, I guess. I also suggested he ask for a Rx for Deplin. The starting dose for Deplin is 7.5 mg, which translates to 7500 mcg, which is 8 l-methylfolate capsules a day... that could get expensive. They come 100 to a bottle, so at 8 a day, a bottle would last us 12 days... oy.

Doctor is booked all day today. And then she's on vacation til the 7th. He says he'll just tough it out til she gets back... in the meantime, I'm going to order the l-methylfolate and he can just take 8 a day...

Of course, changing his diet will help ALL of the things he's battling right now. In the meantime, I ordered two bottles of the l-methylfolate. That'll get us through the drs vacation and then he can see her about the Rx version. Rx will be cheaper b/c insurance will cover it and it comes in a larger dose so we won't blow through a whole bottle in a matter of days. I know Ashley will let him take the l-methlyfolate. It's just a vitamin, after all, and you can't overdose on it b/c anything your body doesn't need is peed out. And there's a cheap $10 generic, so that definitely seems to be the way to go. I've even considered seeing her for a Rx for it as well simply b/c it is a food grade treatment, it's not a drug and the body chooses it's own therapeutic level, not to mention there's no withdrawal affect or negative side effects. It probably wouldn't hurt for my kids to take it too. Brady has shown some signs of depression since getting on his Concerta. I might have him take a couple capsules a day too... see how that works for his mood.

I want to mention to Brad that diet and exercise would go a LONG way toward making him feel better too, but of course, he already knows that and won't welcome that advice... I did suggest he take a walk and get some sunshine to help his mind, though. It's a start... telling him to take one walk is a lot different than telling him to hit the gym everyday. Hopefully he takes my suggestion.

Camping without a crowd in a couple of weeks should help too. Lots of time to veg out in the sunshine without much for responsibilities (keeping our kids from drowning will be the biggest one). Sex... sex would help too. Maybe I'll pounce on him like a kitten tonight.

That said, my diet still sucks. It's getting better, but there are still a lot of things that could be improved. For instance, soda... that needs to go. I just finished off the last bit of Dr. Pepper we had, so that's gone at least. Last night I had cake and ice cream at SIL's birthday celebration. Why do we do cake and ice cream for birthdays? There weren't any leftovers from dinner last night (had steak at MIL's house for SIL's bday) so I have to get something from the cafeteria. Not sure what I'll find up there - probably nothing compliant. I'll do my best though. Going to the gym today too for an OHP workout around noonish... maybe... looking at the calendar makes me wonder when I'll get there. The boss has his top secret harddrive in the computer, so I get to babysit all day. If he doesn't have an hour long break from meetings today, I'll be chained to my desk. Can't leave the drive unattended.

ANYhow... I think I'm rambling now. Ciao!
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

tomi is online now Senior Member
    sorry to hear Brad is struggling. Its hard enough to deal with our own struggles, but add in the struggles of the people we love and it all seems to get too heavy!!! Definitely diet is the best place to start. Sometimes the best we can do is just try to control the environment at home - that's what I try to do. Doesn't always work. Last night I sat and watched hubby devour about 1/2 of a bag of corn chips with the primal taco casserole I made. UGH! What do you do??? He says he wants to lose weight, but doesn't really want to change his eating habits.

How about getting the entire family out for a walk after dinner? It doesn't have to be long or quick - just a leisurely stroll through the neighborhood. Any movement is better than none.
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

I'm doing this because I'm worth it - because I'm worthy - because I love myself.

Goals: Healthy mind, healthy body, happy soul.

Doing a lot of research on l-methylfolate. Found a TON of links I want to keep track of. I think I'll create a pinterest board pertaining to it b/c it's kind of cumbersome to try and find things stored here.

I'm finding that I will need to read The Mood Cure for sure.

Pebbles67 is online now Senior Member
    Never heard of l-methylfolate before. Might help my eldest son...

geostump is online now Senior Member
    Sounds like Brad and I are on the same ship. My depression has been worsening and I know its mostly work related. All I want to do is sleep or eat and I don't feel like I want to workout at all. I'm about to force myself to do something at this rate.
    Georgette

Paula, l-methylfolate is sold with the brand name Deplin, but a generic form l-methylfolate calcium is also available. It's Rx only. The generic is cheap - like $10 cheap. It helped me tremendously when I was taking my antidepressants, but I made it a goal to get off everything, so I haven't taken it for over 2 years. If I were to ever go back to "medicating" my depression, l-methylfolate is what I'd use. Therapeutic doses start at 7.5 mg (or 7500 mcg, or 8 capsules when bought over the counter) and go up to 15 mg (15,000 mcg). From what I'm reading there are MANY different forms of it, and you have to know the difference to notice the difference. None will inherently cause harm, but some are better than others in regard to healing. And it can take 10 weeks to work optimally.

Pebbles67 is online now Senior Member
    I was reading yesterday that it helps with ADD issues, which is what my son has.

Give it a whirl. I've got two bottles enroute to my house now - of course, they're coming FedEx, so we'll see which house they actually arrive at...

I'm going back to 100% primal. Well, actually, not really. I'll be about 90% today. I'm deviating to have bbq on my burger (haven't found a homemade one I like as much as KC Masterpiece Original) and I'm having Hidden Valley Ranch on my raw veggies today b/c I've run out of homemade dip. I'm not willing to eat them plain today.

I'm in an annoyed, take no bullshit kind of mood today. People are making excuses left and right and it's kind of pissing me off, to be honest. If you don't want to do something, just say you don't want to do it. Quit with the bullshit reasons that hold no water. Most of this behavior is happening on FB. I am more and more inclined to start deleting people. I can't see the updates from people I actually CARE to see updates from b/c of all the garbage on the newsfeed, so I miss out on so much stuff in their lives. And I just don't feel like being a friend collector anymore. I have to be careful who I delete though b/c some of the newer people on my friends list are there b/c they buy Thirty-One from me. And a lot of the others could be potential customers. I think I'll start deleting those I don't actually interact with on a regular basis. I guess my motivation is that I'm tired of comparing lives, I'm tired of competing, and I'm tired of all the bullshit rainbows and flowers posts people are putting up. FB is the land of fake lives. There's one gal who decided to become a stay at home mom and posts all these awesomesauce pics of she and her kids having a grand ol' time, but in reality she's bored as shit, lonely as hell, and hates it - she's just putting on a front on Facebook. That kind of crap bothers me. BE REAL! Then there's the passive aggressive drama... And then there's the people I have on my friends list that I will flat out avoid in real life if I can. I saw a gal at the store the other day who was previously on my friends list. I thought about saying hi and then decided not to b/c I really don't like her that much... that's when I decided deleting her was the right choice. Yeah, I think I'll start to pare down my friends list. People from here are safe. I actually care what's happening in your lives. Facebook says I currently have 506 friends... no... no I don't.

Goldie is online now Senior Member
    Jenn, re: Facebook and Thirty-One... could you create a new Jenn's-Thirty-One Facebook page for those contacts? Once you have all your Thirty-One people there, then you can start culling out your personal Facebook page. And if, oops, you accidentally delete a "friend" from your personal Facebook page, your reason can be because you're working on separating friends from customers/potential customers.

Just an idea... I'm not a fan of Facebook and only have an account because of my kids. I think I have 18 friends.

I do have a separate group for my Thirty-One stuff, but a lot of my friends are also customers, or their customers that are so new to my personal FB friends list they'd notice if I dumped them. I'm going at this "friend" culling in waves. Yesterday I eliminated 117 people. There were a few I had to consider quite deliberately and decided if I had to think about it that hard, they probably deserved to wait til next time. My hope is to get between 250 and 300 people on Facebook. I'm dividing my friends list into Close Friends/Family/Would Never Delete and Acquaintances. So far, there are way more people going into the acquaintances list. I'll do my next cut from that list. 70% of my friends list are either family or people I met at SparkPeople, MFP and here. The other 30% are people I know in real life or are leftovers from high school/college. Of those 70%, I haven't met probably 25% of them, but know details of their lives - kids names, husband's names, etc. I feel like I know them and like them, and will probably keep them around despite not knowing them IRL. Cleaning up facebook is definitely a process.

I've decided July 14th starts my next 21-Day Sugar Detox, except I'll probably extend it for 28 days (til Brad's bday). I have GOT to get this sugar problem under control. I am completely blown away by the fact that I smoked for 10 years and quit with no problem and have remained quit for over 5 years. I am completely blown away by the fact that I abused meth for a year and a half and quit that volatle and highly addictive substance and have remained quit for nearly 15 years. But I cannot quit sugar! What... The... F*ck??? *sigh* When I quit smoking and quit using drugs, the solution was "Not a single puff" (smoking) and complete avoidance (drugs - moved to college and got out of that environment). Sugar is in EVERYTHING processed and there are so many 'natural' forms of it by way of honey and such. It makes total sense that I am having a harder time staying away from it, but there are foods that do not contain ANY sugar so it's not impossible to avoid. But why does my brain make it SO impossible to stay away? Is it the depression? Anxiety? PTSD? ADD? Hopefully the l-methylfolate I'm expecting today will help right the brain enough that I can better focus on sugar elimination. Someday I'd like to be able to use sugar in moderation, but I sincerely doubt that'll ever happen. I think I'll forever be on this roller coaster.

So, why July 14? That's the first day back from our camping excursion, which is presently in limbo b/c of rising flood waters. The campground we were planning to stay at and reserved a space at is closed due to the flooding. We're waiting on the refund for the spot. Looking at other places now. There's a Corp of Engineers lake not far from us that we're considering. Might even throw a trip to the big zoo in Chicago in there. This (potential cancellation) is providing us with a great opportunity to expand our vacatoin a bit. Right now we're thinking zoo the 4th or 5th (if it's open on the 4th), then camping Sunday thru Thursday, then racing Friday, then chill out at home Saturday, then I have a vendor show on Sunday. It should be a good vacation. Anyhow, I know I won't focus on dietary discipline during that time, so that's why I'm waiting til the 14th.