Page 549 of 579 FirstFirst ... 49449499539547548549550551559 ... LastLast
Results 5,481 to 5,490 of 5785

Thread: My Journey from Sugar Burner to Fat Burner - jenn26point2's Primal Journal page 549

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I had to take some leave today to see the Princess of Pain, so I had to look at my leave balance. Holy shit, dudes, I have USE OR LOSE leave!! I have so much annual leave saved up I HAVE to take time off... that's a milestone! I'm sure Canio could relate if he'd EVER come back...
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

I have three Thirty-One parties planned. One is a catalog/online/Facebook party b/c the gal who agreed to host it lives in Michigan, and well, I don't... so on the 19th I'll be giving her a few catalogs to share with her friends. She's a Mary Kay consultant who is hosting a facial party at her mom's and invited me. So, I'll go to that, I'll give her the catalogs (as she requested) and she's pretty sure she'll land a couple of sales for me that very day.

Then on the 4th of May, I'm having my kick off party at my house. I have 11 RSVP's for this party already. Glad it's an open house b/c having that many people in the house at once would FILL my house and make it impossible for anyone to move! Ok, not really - we had 28 at Brady's birthday party... but 11 is a good number! I'm hoping it continues to rise.

Then on the 7th of June, my friend Anna is going to host a part at her house. And she's pretty sure her mom will book a party during that time as well.

Talking to someone else about possibly hosting a party - got a lead from my stepmom that she was talking about having a party. Messaged her about it last night, and haven't heard back yet. *fingers crossed*

I am feeling very hopeful.

Note to self: buy a card table or other such table for party set up...

Racing tonight for the first time this season. New car, new motor, new fuel... Brad was really pleased with how it ran at practice on Sunday so I'm hoping we'll have a good season.

I guess we're looking at the possibility of inclement weather this weekend so the race directors for the marathon are working up a contingency plan...

Other big news. I got an email asking me if I was still interested in one of the jobs I put in for. It sounded an awful lot like a tentative offer letter, but I don't think it was. It went over the training requirements for the first two years of the job (it's an internship that leads to permanence) and asked if I was still interested, mentioning that hiring would be contingent upon a favorable background check, secret security clearance and an annual financial agreement, with a report date of July 2014. Seriously dudes... this is huge. I am so excited. The work is VERY busy with educational requirements to be completed in the first two years... essentially, the first two years is EDUCATION, and then after that 2 year period, actual work. All on the island. I'm excited. It's in government contract writing. I have a friend who's doing the internship now and she says it's great and all the education she's earning will be transferrable to the private sector should we decide the government isn't right for us. I am so very stoked for this opportunity. I have my fingers crossed for it.

That's all I've got... Sorry I was missing today. Busy at work.

Pebbles67 is online now Senior Member
    That sounds wonderful, Jenn! Hoping for the best.

tomi is offline Senior Member
    How exciting, Jenn!
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

Weight goals:
    Highest weight: 216
    Current weight: 189 (7-16-14)
    Goal weight: 140

Yesterday marks the date of my very first marathon. I started training in December with the intentions of running the Bataan Memorial Death March in New Mexico... but somethings changed and I was unable to attend. Not wanting my training to be wasted, I immediately signed up for the first race I found closer to home. That race was the Marion Rotary Marathon for Shoes. As the name would imply, the Marion Rotary holds this race to collect shoes and funds for shoes for area kids.

I was so scared the week prior to this race. I didn't have anyone to run with and I was fearful that I'd let my brain freak me out and quit. Or that my brain would prevent me from truly pushing myself. Enter Jen, a gal who I met because of this race. We were connected by a mutual friend who knew of my desire for a pacer and knew Jen was running it too. Jen agreed to pace me and brought her friend Julie along for the ride. Without these two ladies, there is no way I would have pushed myself like I did.

The weatherman was predicting rain for the marathon. The directors said that if there was lightning before the race, they'd postpone up to two hours. If it looked like the storms were going to last beyond that, they'd cancel the race. I was really hoping they wouldn't cancel the race. I had a pacer so I was going to be ok with rain - it would suck, but as long as the race didn't get cancelled, I would be ok.

So, the race started at 7 am. It was raining... *sigh* I was already pretty wet and was wishing I'd worn a hat to keep the rain out of my face. I had forgotten my Garmin in my car, so I had to use my watch to keep my time and the MapMyRun app on my phone to log the miles (b/c I didn't want to go in and map it manually later). By the time we hit mile 1, the rain stopped. About mile 4, I was tired of hills... They advertise this race as flat... it was anything BUT flat... I shed my windbreaker (it was warm enough that I just wore that to keep the rain off me) and tied it around my waste (it's an $80 coat! No way I'm tossing it!!).

Miles 1-7 were pretty uneventful... just hills, slight head wind for a bit, and nothing much to look at - just empty fields... At the 7th mile marker, we re-entered a residential area.

At mile 7.5 (or so) we had a water stop where the half marathon broke off from the full. My friend Kara (wannabefit34) was working this stop. She'd made a sign for me!! I thought that was super cool! We took a couple of pictures and I ate my first larabar.

kara.jpg

karasign.jpg

At mile 16 (or so) it started to rain again. This is also the point where we lost the 5:25 pace group. We aren't sure if they were feeling so good that they took off or if we just fell back that far or what... either way, we no longer had those to gentlemen to compete with.

Miles 17-23 were on roads with HEAVY traffic driving at 55 mph... Um, not cool. Not cool at all. And we weren't running against traffic (like you're supposed to do) so we were doubly uneasy with that stretch.

Mile 24-25: HOLY SEIZING MUSCLES!! Two muscles, one on each leg, just above the knee, started to seize. They did NOT want to go any further.Those little muscles were SCREAMING! It was at this point that I think I was mentally broken. It was raining (pretty good rain too - not pouring, but not a sprinkle either). I was getting annoyed by the rain. I was done - so ready to just stop running. I was hungry. And everything from the ribs down ached. Oh, and my bicep was hurting?? What's that all about? (It still hurts today) So when the quads did their seizing thing, my brain just said "Yep. I'm done. Screw it". But my pacers pushed me through it to the designated walk point. At this walk point, I ate. I was not going to tolerate being hungry. I also took a Powerade Gel from Jen. The walk helped the quads. They protested no more after that.

Mile 25: seriously, aren't we done yet? I had planned on taking a pic of the 25th mile marker and making some smart ass comment about how the last mile can go eff itself or something, but we were running, I was in a zombified state, so I missed it... oh well.

Mile 26: I didn't see a sign for this one. They routed us off the road and into the parking lot for the start point. The race started at a high school and ended on the track, so the parking lot lead us to the track. While we were running through this parking lot, Julie took off. Jen stayed with me. It was at this point that she said these words:

"This is why the marathon is so hard. It's not for the weak. It's not for the lazy. It's not for pansies. It's for those who are strong and dedicated. You, my friend, have proven yourself worthy. You are a marathoner."

This is the first time I have ever EVER cried at the end of a race. I don't know if it was from exhaustion or what she said, but I sobbed a bit. I fought it off and continued to push through. When we were about 25 yards from the finish line, Jen said she was going to fall back a bit. The announcer called out my name, the lady at the other side of the finish line handed me my medal, and someone else handed me a space blanket. Julie gave me a hug and congratulated me. Jen gave me a hug and congratulated me. I cried a couple tears and thanked them both for helping me through and we walked to the food tent.

I texted my husband and told him I was done. He texted back congratulations and cheers. I proceeded to the food tent where I drank chocolate milk and ate a bagel. I was was starving and I didn't give one shit about what I was eating - just that I was eating. It was delicious.

MapMyRun says I burned 4500 calories... that's a lot. Accurate? Who knows... My watch said I finished in 5:34:27. We were gunning for 5:25 but I'm ok with my time. This race was all about just doing it. Will I run another marathon? Yes. Will I do THIS marathon again? Probably not... Next time, I might aim to improve the time - maybe a 5:25 or a 5:15. Depends on whether or not I have someone to run with. Most likely I'll sign up to run with a pace group.

Medal.jpg
    Last edited by jenn26point2; 04-14-2014 at 09:55 AM.

tomi is offline Senior Member
    That's awesome, Jenn!!! You rock!
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

Weight goals:
    Highest weight: 216
    Current weight: 189 (7-16-14)
    Goal weight: 140

Drock is offline Senior Member
    Yay! WTG! I'm glad to hear that it went well for you. I hope that you're taking the day to enjoy your accomplishment and be proud of yourself!
    I came to Primal/Paleo first to lose weight, but kept up because of the way I feel - amazing.

34/male 5'-5"
    Starting: 249#, 44" waist
    Current: 168#, 30" waist
    Goal: 140ish# or 28ish" waist

Goldie is offline Senior Member
    YAY Jenn!