Page 503 of 577 FirstFirst ... 3403453493501502503504505513553 ... LastLast
Results 5,021 to 5,030 of 5761

Thread: My Journey from Sugar Burner to Fat Burner - jenn26point2's Primal Journal page 503

tomi is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Hoping it went well!
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    GAWD I hate interviews. I have no idea how that went... I guess well, but whether or not it was good enough is questionable. They asked some loaded questions, like

1. Describe experience you have had with establishing and maintaining relationships that helped improve productivity. For this one I tried to bring in my education. The interviewers can't ask any questions for clarification or "lead" me to any answers, so I had to remember things I'd done and bring them to the table. I mentioned my Master's Degree and that it taught me how to use relationships with people to get tasks done - that having a relationship with people will sway them to do things you ask b/c they want to do them for you, YOU being the motivator. Or, they want to do it b/c they like me, not b/c I work for the COL, although in some cases, using the COL as a motivator is also necessary. I didn't communicate it that well, I don't think, so we'll see if it got me anywhere... that was probably the hardest question.

2. Describe experience you have had with time management and shifting priorities and how you have overcome those challenges. I couldn't think of any work related experiences, although there have been plenty b/c most days I feel more like a firefighter than anything, so I explained how as a mom and a marathoner, there are constant prioritization demands in play. I want to run marathons so I have to prioritize training while also prioritizing my kids' needs as well as our family's financial needs because races are expensive. When I tried to also include something work related, the higher ranking interviewer told me the first example was actually pretty good - so thumbs up there.

One was about programs I use daily, one was about maintaining the calendars. There was a fifth question, but I don't remember right off hand what it was.

I was nervous and I think that nervousness and self-consciousness transferred directly into my voice and thought processes which prevented me from communicating effectively. And sadly, communication is a one of the job requirements... but I don't do well in those scenarios and unfortunately, the only way to get better at interviews is to interview more often, which won't happen where I'm at with so few job openings.

Ugh... oh well. If I didn't get it, no loss, really. I already have a job that is sufficient. It's not like I'm unemployed and in need of an income. I am comfortable with my job.

This job upstairs would be great b/c I'd be the secretary for, I think, 4 people, which would keep me uber busy... Basically, what I do now - but busier. But with that busy-ness comes a cost. She said that lunch breaks that would allow me to run pretty much aren't guaranteed, so I'd have to "shift priorities" there. Somedays it would be possible, but it didn't sound like it would be easily managed like it is here. She said that 8-430 for hours is acceptable (given daycare constraints). She also said that a reduction in force (RIF - layoffs due to budget cuts) is not in the plans, but given everything else militarily, plans are always subject to change as the demands change.

So, now I'm faced with a dillema... if I'm offered the job, do I take it and sacrifice my lunch break training runs knowing it will be next to impossible to fit them in anywhere else, or do I decline the job and keep my current position and my lunch break training runs? I guess that's something I'll have to talk to Brad about... but I honestly don't know when else I'd be able to fit in an hour of running and still be able to maintain things at home. Brad would have to start cooking. lol I guess I could pre-make everything on the weekends (i.e. put the meatloaf together, thaw and cut/precook the chicken for chicken scampi, etc) a la Well Fed, and then all Brad would have to do is toss stuff in the oven to cook. I think we could make it work - if we worked together. Of course, then sports seasons would interfere - Brad's racing, Brady's baseball, etc, etc, etc.

Ugh, it would be all too easy to just have a home gym - if only there was extra money available to make it happen.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Tomorrow is Day 1 of my 90 Day Whole30. So today, by default, is the last ditch binge day where I get in all those foods I'm afraid I'll crave starting tomorrow. So, I had two donuts for breakfast, a hot chocolate, and now I'm sipping a Dr. Pepper - which is probably the worst of all sodas out there. Oh wait, there's no flame retardant in it, so maybe it's less bad. I plan to do some drinking tonight, but not sure what - probably wine and a couple shots of the Fireball Whiskey Brad got me for my birthday. He couldn't remember what wine I liked so he got me FB b/c that's what Melanie and I were doing for shots in Tennessee. I would have preferred the wine and that whiskey will probably sit in the pantry for 100 years next to the bottle of Southern Comfort that's been in there for 50. Dinner tonight will be Chicken Scampi b/c it'll be 90 days before I welcome dairy back into my life. Brad will be torqued if he doesn't get Chicken Scampi for 90 days... (I haven't exactly told him how long I'm doing this Whole30 for... hehehehe)

I finally got Brad to watch The Hunger Games and now he really wants to go see Catching Fire before it's out of theaters and he has to wait 6 months to catch it on pay per view. I can't tell how long our local theaters are keeping it though. The local cheap seats theater has it currently ($4 tickets FTW!!) but Brad says the seats are really narrow and being a bigger guy, he won't be comfy there. I can respect that... so we're looking for it in the multiplexes. In looking at the website for one of our theaters, they aren't showing it after tomorrow. And the theater closer to home (fewer screens) has already stopped showing it. Bummer. We could probably get someone to watch the kids tomorrow night - maybe. They have 4 showings. 11, 2:30, 6:30 and 10. I know the two earlier showings won't be possible b/c we'll be at MIL's watching the Outback Bowl. The later ones might be possible, but we'd need to find a sitter. Finding a sitter is always a PITA. We were hoping to hit the theaters for a matinee on Thursday or Friday (I took the rest of the week off).

My plan for Thursday and Friday is to spend a little bit of time with Brad, while taking advantage of the time the kids are in school/at daycare to purge some toys and make room for the stuff they just got for Christmas. Brad brought home a stack of boxes from work (BIG BOXES - like moving box sized) to put toys in to clear space. We'll either take the toys to the shelter or to Goodwill. Not sure yet - my preference is the shelter over Goodwill.

Ok, I guess I don't have anything but rambles today. I'm gonna go catch up on journals. Happy New Year's Eve and New Year everyone!

Here's something interesting... Brad is having the kids collect toys they no longer want to keep to be given away - he decided to start them on it today instead of waiting til I did it later this week. He just sent me a text stating Brady has filled 3 boxes and Makenna has filled 1. This is bringing me some serious anxiety... Two things come to mind. 1. The kids will throw away a special toy by accident (something I know is special to them but they're neglecting to be mindful of that - especially Makenna b/c I don't think she realizes the toys will be gone for good), and 2. They are mostly likely missing some pieces when they put them in the box so we'll be giving away incomplete toys and/or I'll find pieces to a toy later that should have been put in the box that I will then have to throw away instead of some disadvantaged little boy or girl getting to play with it with the rest of the toy they got.

What I REALLY think the problem is, is that I don't have control over what's happening at home. I have no idea what's being put in the boxes and Brad doesn't care. I really wish I could be at home to monitor what's going in the boxes... :S

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Maybe you and Brad can sift through the boxes together later, so you can tell him about your concerns & show him any toys that shouldn't have gone in there/were missing pieces. As for important toys... If it's lost, it's lost. It's just a toy and they are young (this is probably very insensitive of me as a non-parent), so they will get over it. You could also keep the boxes "in limbo", out of sight somewhere for a certain amount of time. If the kids don't ask after anyway, they're safe to go.

Happy New Year! I hope you can get out to see Catching Fire with Brad

SPOILER (highlight for text)
    So the one thing that I totally forgot about from the books that I wish they'd put into the movies is Peeta losing his leg & Katniss needing hearing aids. I think they're doing a great job with the films so far, but cutting those things out isn't a minor oversight to me. I think it would have spoken worlds about the film creators if they'd given the main characters disabilities, even though it's not important to the plot. On another note, I'm really nervous about how they're going to handle Peeta for the last two movies (wonder how they're going to split up the last book).
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

tomi is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jenn26point2 View Post
    What I REALLY think the problem is, is that I don't have control over what's happening at home. I have no idea what's being put in the boxes and Brad doesn't care. I really wish I could be at home to monitor what's going in the boxes... :S
    This is a good lesson in letting go of control. In the big picture........... do missing pieces or mistakenly ditching favored toys really matter? They now have new toys to capture their attention. Embrace what Brad is doing and give him full authority in the matter! It will do amazing things for your level of trust in him - and for his level of faith in you! The extra pieces can be thrown in the trash........... they're just toys. Relax and let Brad take this one burden off your shoulders! Send him a text or call and say thank you so much for doing this!
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

The thing that worries me is that both kids have specific "loveys". I'm hopeful that none of them ended up in the boxes - that is all. If one is simply left at daycare and isn't available overnight for them, it's meltdown city!

Tasha, I had completely forgotten that Peeta loses his leg - in fact, I don't remember that at all. I vaguely remember Katniss needing hearing aids. And I didn't realize they are splitting the last book into 2 movies. I wonder if they'll split it between the District 13 section and the war section... I would think that would make for two short films, though.

Did I tell you that my boss's daughter is being cast in the 3rd movie? She's playing an extra currently. They're not sure if she'll have any speaking roles or not. Very exciting.

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    That's awesome If she gets a line, she'll get paid more Yeah, I think you're right about the movie breakdown, but also not sure how they'll make it two full movies. I can see it being pretty full 90 minute films each. It COULD be one long movie, but I don't think I could sit through that much turmoil.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Happy New Year Friends. I hope 2014 proves to be your greatest achievement to date!

Pebbles67 is online now Senior Member
    Happy New Year to you! I'll be suffering right along with you as we enter Paleo land. lol