Page 492 of 590 FirstFirst ... 392442482490491492493494502542 ... LastLast
Results 4,911 to 4,920 of 5892

Thread: My Journey from Sugar Burner to Fat Burner - jenn26point2's Primal Journal page 492

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabine View Post
    What a great email to get.
    I thought so too. It's so incredible the difference between this year and last. I responded to her email with a few more details of what our conversation entailed and apologized for putting the idea in his head if it goes against school/classroom policy. She said:

You did a great job with having him come to me for another task. I am very proud of him. He is doing great!
    Sooooo incredibly different from last year. She is such a wonderful teacher and I will be begging and pleading with the school to allow Makenna to have her as a teacher (and the same preschool teacher as Brady had) and begging and pleading for a different kindergarten teacher this time around.

Makenna's 3 year old preschool teacher is great as well, so if we got her a second time around (for 4th grade preschool) that would be fine too, but our current preschool teacher only teaches 4 year old in the afternoon and I'd prefer Makenna to be in AM preschool (naps are ESSENTIAL!!), which will only leave the option for the same PS teacher as Brady had. Well then... I guess that worked out... lol

Anyhow, I'm very proud of my little man.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

tomi is offline Senior Member
    Nice going mom!!! and brownie points to Brady for taking the initiative!
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

I'm doing this because I'm worth it - because I'm worthy - because I love myself.

Goals: Healthy mind, healthy body, happy soul.

marcadav is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by canio6 View Post
    If you could please write to them and ask them to take their annoying as f*ck jingle off the radio I would be so grateful. "Giva giva giva Garmin..." Ruining Carol of the Bells to sell your stuff... <insert Scrooge face here>

That said, it does sound useful and that is a lot of miles Jenn. I'll be stealing your totals..."Yeah, between my friend and I we average 326 miles...." My laziness thanks you.
    Canio, want to steal my miles? As of today I've put 1775 miles on my treadmill this year.

canio6 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by marcadav View Post
    Canio, want to steal my miles? As of today I've put 1775 miles on my treadmill this year.
    Sweet! At this rate I'll be averaging 100 a week in no time

Jon you are too funny!

Tennessee bound. Wish us luck!!!

The race was cancelled due to crappy weather... so we had fun instead. Had a freaking blast, but looking forward to getting back on the Primal track.

canio6 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jenn26point2 View Post
    The race was cancelled due to crappy weather... so we had fun instead. Had a freaking blast, but looking forward to getting back on the Primal track.
    Oh darn, you have to have fun instead of running. Whatever will you do?

Headed home after a weekend of the most fun I've probably ever had. I miss my friends already.

Too much food freedom, drinking and late nights has me feeling tired and icky. Back on the Primal Path as soon as we get home. Early to bed tonight, I think.

Marathon training ramps up this week. My new vibrams should be arriving today. Hopefully they're warm. Rumor has it, it's snowing at home.

Ok, now that I'm at an actual computer and not using my phone... I'll tell the story.

Brad and I got up at 5:30 Friday morning, got showered, got the kids ready to go and dropped them off at SILs. Then we headed out. We made it all the way to St. Louis (4 hours) without seeing a single snowflake, then they started dropping from the sky like gangbusters! We stopped for lunch with a friend and headed back out an hour later. We left the restaurant at 2, and needed to be to the Memphis Airport by 4 to pick up our friends. We were already going to be 2 hours late at that point, so we let them know and they were cool with it. Then as we're heading south, the roads get worse and worse. We're stuck going 50 most of the way. Then we drop to 45 or so as we approached dark. At this point, we're still experiencing snow, but it's coming in spurts.

We cross into Arkansas and it's like we stepped into a Twilight Zone! We went from snow to ice covered roads. We slow down to 25-35 in parts and tried to stay on the areas that had more snow as opposed to what looked like a "clear road". Clear was not exactly what I'd call it as you could tell by the sheen that it was ice covered. So, we stayed on the rough, bumpy snow packed side of the road b/c it offered better traction. We saw sooooo many vehicles in the ditch.

At one point we saw yellow flashing lights on our left as we were driving down the left lane - in the snow packed side. It was dark out by now. As we got closer, we saw there was a semi in the ditch on the right side. We were trying to determine just where those yellow lights were coming from b/c there was a catch fence just off the road a few feet into the median. As we came right up on the vehicle, we realized the blinker we were seeing was IN OUR LANE facing us. HOLY SHIT! Brad maneuvers the car to miss the truck - that's when we realized the semi did the same thing and that's how he ended up in the ditch - and it had JUST happened b/c the semi driver was climbing out of his truck. There were still two people in the pickup that was sitting in our lane - not a good place AT ALL for them to be sitting. I hope they got out and sat in the warm semi cab with the trucker til help came. We narrowly missed that collision - which scared the hell out of me. I was shaking for so long after that. It didn't even phase Brad... Racing has trained him well.

A little while later - maybe 15 minutes - we get the dreaded text message - the race has been cancelled due to icy conditions... *sigh* But we're only 70 miles out so we decided to keep going hoping to get there and be done.

As we were passing the first Blytheville, AR, exit, we're passed by a tow truck (we had moved back to the right lane b/c the left lost all of it's snowpack and was just as worthless as the right) who was heading to a semi in the ditch. Except, the semi wasn't in the ditch all the way - his trailer was blocking the right lane... so, Brad lets off the gas and places his foot on the brake - he didn't even get an opportunity to apply the brake and the car started to slide. This was when he decided he was too scared to move on. We were now traveling at 15 mph on a 70 mph roadway and it was dark. Trucks were no longer able to go up slight inclines without spinning their wheels. Brad decided he was done, we were getting off - but we could see no exits in sight and traffic has nearly stopped. We top a slight hill and see an exit, squeeze over into the right lane (we changed lanes after seeing the semi in the roadway) with everyone else and got off at the next exit (the 2nd exit for Blytheville). We call every hotel in town - starting with the Quality Inn b/c we figured we could just transfer our reservation and not incur any cancellation fees that way. They're booked... so we call the Comfort Inn... they have vacancies... so we head that way... when we get there, a charter bus full of Army soldiers is sitting in the lobby - no more vacancies... onward! We find the Holiday Inn has a room. We snag it - only to be followed in by about 50 utility workers... Whew! We got there in time. And it's a good thing we stopped when we did b/c we were informed by hotel staff that the bridge crossing the Mississippi from Arkansas to Tennessee was closed by the DOT b/c it was too icy... at this point, we were 65 miles away from Memphis and it was 7:45. It took us 5 hours and 45 minutes to travel a 3 hour distance...

The next morning, we get up at about 7:30 and eat breakfast. We head out and the roads are pretty nice. Slushy, wet, but not ice covered anymore. We're trucking along at a pretty decent pace when all of a sudden, traffic STOPS. Dead stop. No movement what so ever. We sit here for an hour and a half based off of text messages between me and my friend. So, 10:30 and we finally get moving again. We FINALLY arrive in Memphis at 11:40 Saturday morning. Funny thing is, Melanie and I would have been done with our race at that point... if we'd been able to run it.

So, Saturday, we visited Graceland at Melanie's request (she's a huge Elvis fan) then we visited the Gibson guitar factory (her fiancee Scotty is a bassist in a rock band and repairs guitars/provides guitar lessons for a living). We grabbed lunch at Silkie's, a local seafood and ribs place. We decided to tour Beale Street that night. I ended up getting totally annihilated but enjoyed every second of my night. I did not, however, enjoy the time spent in the bathroom purging my stomach of the remaining alcohol and I did not enjoy the hangover the next day - the hangover that took two days to go away! I am NOT a drinker and to drink as much as I did that night was not a smart move, but we had fun and that's what matters. And, I went to Coyote Ugly, which totally made my night. That's mine, Brad's and Melanie's kind of bar - Scotty didn't enjoy it as much. I discovered Fireball Whiskey - yeah, won't be spending any time with that for a while... oy!

Sunday, after I recovered enough to move away from the bed and/or toilet, we went to the Memphis Zoo. It was rainy and cold so most of the animals were huddled in their dens. We went through the indoor exhibits, saw the grizzly bears, elephants, pinguins, polar bears, sea lions, bald eagles, zebras, elands, and flammingos. We did not see any big cats, no giraffes, no pandas, no hippos and no rhinos. But we still had a blast. The bird and reptile exhibits were cool. We wandered around the zoo for 4 hours - despite the cold. Then we had dinner at Hard Rock - mine and Brad's first time ever at a Hard Rock.

We left Memphis yesterday morning at 6 and got home at 2:30. We made WAY better time. lol

We all really enjoyed ourselves and Scotty and Brad were making plans for them to come visit us and go racing and for us to go visit them and hang out in Florida. I'm not sure when we'll be able to do it, but it's in the works. I was really worried about how Scotty and Brad would take to each other b/c they're completely different people, and I didn't even know Scotty (except what Melanie had told me about him) so I was a little apprehensive about how we'd all mesh, but it was perfect! It was like we'd all been friends forever instead of just me and Melanie being friends forever. We had a blast and I wish we were still there, but I am happy to be home with my kiddos.

We brought home an Elf on the Shelf which is working wonders with Brady - he's working really hard to make sure he behaves for the elf. Makenna's not sold - or doesn't understand what it's all about. Brady does though and he's always reminding her that she has to be good b/c Jingle is watching. hehehehe I love it. I love the magic it possesses - he's so entranced by the elf. I'm going to have Brad move the elf later today before the kids get home so it seems like he's really alive. I don't think moving him only at night will be enough.

And now... I must get back to Primal eating... I did so horribly over the weekend. I'm back to 186 (where I've been for most of the fall/winter, which is 20 lbs up from my low. I have already decided that January is going to be a whole30 month. I will be missing out on cake and ice cream for Brady's birthday party, but it's only cake and ice cream... It's nothing real special, right? Why do I find it so hard to get on and stay on track during the winter months? I had the same problem last winter... Maybe it's b/c I still hold too much psychological power from food. Something to work on for sure. Now to go check in with everyone.
    Last edited by jenn26point2; 12-10-2013 at 08:11 AM.

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    Phew, what a trip! I'm glad you had fun after the icy roads.