Page 482 of 593 FirstFirst ... 382432472480481482483484492532582 ... LastLast
Results 4,811 to 4,820 of 5927

Thread: My Journey from Sugar Burner to Fat Burner - jenn26point2's Primal Journal page 482

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    Quick update on the holiday party.

Here are the activities we will be having:

Ugly sweater contest
    Most festively dressed (last year, we had a guy in green pants and a red sweater that he installed battery operated christmas lights into and hung ornaments from. It was hysterical!

Holiday cherades (sp??), scavenger hunt, trivia, 12 days of Christmas (each table will be assigned one day to sing, i.e. table one gets the first day of Christmas - lyrics can be changed at will - last year it was VERY football themed b/c our commander was an Eagle's fan).

One of my ticket sellers has already sold all his tickets. He literally had them only about 15 minutes before he was hunting me down to turn in the money. He only had 10 tickets, but based on all the complaints we'd been getting about price, we weren't expecting a mad rush on ticket sales, so he shocked me. Now I have to print him more tickets. lol

I think it'll be fun. And the menu is awesome. Not primal by any stretch, but awesome still. Take a look:

Beef tips with sautéed mushrooms and onions
    Stuffed Chicken Breast with wild rice topped with wine sauce
    Award Winning Stuffed Pork Loin with gravy

Baby Red Potatoes with butter and parsley
    Green Bean Casserole

Tossed salad with dressing
    Pasta Salad
    Cucumber and Tomato Salad with fresh basil

Coffee, Tea & Water
    Cash bar

My mouth is watering over that pork loin! lol
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

tomi is offline Senior Member
    Jenn - you never fail to impress me on the things you decide to take on and I know you'll completely slay this marathon! I'm so freakin' excited for you! You have a LOT of backing and positive energy moving you forward!

Train on girlfriend!
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

Ugh... some kind of something is trying to take hold in my nose/head. I woke up with half my nose completely stuffed, a mild sinus like headache and a sore throat (post nasal drip?). I broke out the netipot first thing and cleared things out, then used my Omnaris to start working on the inflammation. Might take some ibuprofen for the slight headache. Brewed up some KE tea. Hoping this cocktail of activity will help.

My neck is stiff so I'd like to go see Dr. Lake. I rotated my neck just right to stretch it out and my nose started to drain again... danged netipot solution is still up in there, I guess, despite blowing my nose 100 times afterwards. Heck, a neck adjustment might even help the sinuses. Things are connected in crazy ways!

Potluck at work today. I made green bean casserole using a hodge podge of recipes. I made my own cream of mushroom binder using arrowroot, mushrooms, milk, cream, butter and sauteed onions. Then I made my my own french fried onions using a recipe I found on the interwebz. They are freaking good, guys! OMG. So yum! I also made chicken parmesan for dinner last night. It was yummo too.

Speaking of recipes. I find that I'm using other people's recipes only as a general guideline for making food. For instance, I found a recipe for cream of mushroom soup and I've adapted it as I go. I don't like arrowroot for the consistency it gives gravies and sauces (it's kind of stringy like if you were to put paste between your fingers and pull them apart - it binds more than cornstarch and flour do), so I thought maybe I'd add some cream this time to help thicken without needing all that arrowroot (or tapioca b/c it does the same thing). My chicken parm recipe is adapted too. It makes me think that I'm slowly becoming a confident cook - that I'm learning what things to add to improve flavor (adding sauteed onions to the green bean casserole for some flavor depth, for instance - it was kind of bland before). It excites me! I don't plan on getting good enough to write a cookbook or anything, but I do like the idea of being able to throw together meals and know it'll taste good.

Quote Originally Posted by tomi View Post
    Jenn - you never fail to impress me on the things you decide to take on and I know you'll completely slay this marathon! I'm so freakin' excited for you! You have a LOT of backing and positive energy moving you forward!

Train on girlfriend!
    Thanks, Tomi. I'm really excited about it. The 7 mile long hill and the 4 miles of sandy trail are worrisome to me, but we have some pretty steep places around here that I can hill train on... I just won't be able to train for the actual hill b/c I don't think we have anything that has a 1500 ft elevation (150 seems to be the tallest hills we have around here), and we don't have much for sandy trails unless I do some running on sandbars - which won't be possible by March. And it'll be winter here during my training so I won't be able to fully train for the event, which is why I'm not placing a time goal. If I could place a time goal, I'd aim for 5 hours, but given the terrain and the climate, I'll be happy with 6.

I'm really excited and can't wait.

Goldie is offline Senior Member
    You go, Jenn! Running and cooking both!

I've been cooking for about 46 years (started when I was 10, mom worked till 7pm), and most of the time I "wing it" when it comes to cooking. For a few more complicated things I'll follow the recipe the first time I make it, but after that it's my own version. Sweetie says, "that was great, make it again!" and I'm like: "... uh... I'll try..." Luckily, he likes everything I make!

Being able to just throw together a few things and have it taste good is a valuable skill for a working mom! Pat yourself on the back!

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    I've been cooking since I could reach the knobs for the stove (old stove, knobs were above the burners on the oven.) My first experiment was adding my own seasoning to the ramen and tossing the too salty packet. Ever since then, I've adapted and edited recipes as I go and made them up on the fly. I, too, have had the "That's awesome! Let's do it again," and "we'll see if I remember what I did first." I'm well known for looking at recipes and saying "well, we don't have this and we can't put that in there BUT..." and having it come out better than the original.
    Metaphorically throwing shit at the wall and seeing what sticks is what turns cooking into Science! With Food!
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

I made green bean casserole for the potluck today. There is zero left over. I had someone ask for the recipe... I was hesitant to share it with him b/c most people are wishy washy when it comes to "abnormal" ingredients like *gasp* arrowroot powder, coconut flour, coconut oil and heavy cream. I sent it to him and he responded with "That is great! I am sure they are going to like it" (they being his boys who I guess are really picky and won't eat green beans or something like that - I have to admit. I wans't really listening that closely b/c when people ask for my paleo recipes, I go into a panic b/c again, people freak out about "abnormal" ingredients).

Anyhow, here is the recipe I used. I adapted two different recipes I found for GBC and used my own cream of mushroom soup.

Base:

Chopped fresh mushrooms (about 1/2 a pound)
    1/4 medium size onion, peeled and very thinly sliced (I used a mandolin at
    the 1.5 mm setting) - separate the rings
    1 cup milk (I used 2%)
    1/2 cup heavy cream
    Arrowroot starch (or cornstarch)
    2-3 tablespoons of butter

Chop mushrooms and sauté with mushrooms in butter. Reduce heat to low when
    onions begin to get crispy.
    Push mushrooms and onions to one side of pan and tilt pan so the butter
    drains off the mushrooms.
    Add arrowroot powder (or cornstarch) to butter and mix til well blended and
    smooth. Should form a thin paste.
    Mix mushrooms and onions into the butter and starch paste.
    Add 1/2 cup milk, mixing well to ensure even thin texture. Bring heat up to
    medium-low to medium. When mixture starts to bubble, add remaining milk.
    Heat to bubbling again. Add cream. Allow to simmer on low til desired
    thickness is achieved. If this takes too long, you may add more starch, but
    only add a little bit - like a teaspoon at a time. If it thickens too much,
    it'll get very pasty - think rubber cement. If this happens, just add more
    milk to thin it out. Arrowroot can be tricky to work with at times.

Once sauce is the way you want it, add it to the beans. I did 5 cans of
    green beans. I prefer Butter Kernel or Green Giant brand b/c they're not
    mushy. Add only the amount of sauce you want. Rest can be placed in the
    fridge or discarded. There likely won't be much excess sauce.

French fried onions:

3/4 medium size onion, peeled and very thinly sliced (I used a mandolin at
    the 1.5 mm setting) - separate the rings
    1/4 cup coconut flour (regular flour would probably work as well - coconut
    flour gives the onions a slightly sweet taste like the French's brand of
    fried onions)
    1/4 cup arrowroot starch (0r cornstarch)
    1/2 cup milk
    1 cup coconut oil (sustains high heat without getting all smokey)

Mix coconut flour and arrowroot flour in bowl. Heat oil in skillet on medium
    heat.
    Dredge onions through milk and coat in flour mixture. Ensure they're
    completely covered.
    Shake off any excess flour and place in oil in small batches.
    Remove with slotted spoon or fork when browned and place on paper towel
    lined plate.

It's time consuming, but you can safely make the sauce early and store in
    fridge. Can also make the onions early and place in an air tight container.
    The original recipe that I adapted this from said you can store these at
    room temperature. I'm not sure about that, so fresh is best as refrigeration
    will make them a bit soggy - they'll lose their crispiness but still taste
    really good. It took me about an hour to do all this last night, while also
    making dinner and straightening the kitchen.

Here's a pic. It's not beautiful but it was pretty damn tasty. I think it's missing something - some depth of flavor - but I'm not sure what it is.
    20131120_110046.jpg

theprimalcajun is offline Senior Member
    sounds very yummy! I can't wait to try this! My sweetie doesn't like GBC but I do. Now I can make a "diet" version all for my very own!! Thanks for sharing!!
    Goal: Don't worry be happy!

Last night, Brad and I got a call. He had signed up to receive information on trips to Disney while he was at an auction last week. They called last night and offered us a discounted trip to Disney and Daytona. 7 days total. Accommodation costs would be $550, the rest on us (travel, food, etc). We would get a tour of the resort and after the tour we'd get 2 $100 passes to the Disney theme parks to offset the costs of park admission. We would have 18 months to use the trip. The tour would be a sales pitch to join the timeshare. We agreed to take the trip and gave them $500. Then I called my sister and asked her if she wanted to go with us (we were told we could take 11 people total and would upgrade to the condo for an extra $45 to house 10 - since 5 are kids, having beds wouldn't be a problem). She wanted to do it. SIL did not b/c she didn't want to miss 7 days of work.

FIL got the same call. So, we started to wonder about this, so I started googling the company. It seems that the organization did NOT lie to us. We were getting accommodations for a trip to Disney for $550 for 7 days. We were responsible for travel, food, taxes, etc. We would be required to take a tour of the facility and beat off the sales pitches. We would get 2 tickets to Disney. All of that checked out. The problems people had with it were that when something came up and they could no longer go, they had a hell of a time getting their money back. This concerned me, a little, b/c what if we needed to cancel? But, we don't so I wasn't overly concerned - but it nagged at the back of my brain.

Then I saw a review of the 'tours' and how some ended up being 3 hours long, some had to repeat tours, some were really pressured to buy into the timeshares, some were even "held hostage" until a manager could sign off on the slip indicating they'd done the tour while said manager was unavailable (in a meeting or not at work yet, or whatever). THIS is what turned us off.

Brad and I would be taking Brady and Makenna with us. As a married couple we both have to attend the tour. We would have to take our kids on the tour. Our kids would want to see Mickey, not a hot tub. It would be nightmarish.

So I called today to cancel. I told her that after we got off the phone we realized right now isn't the right time for us financially to give out $500. She offered to cut the costs in half yet again and I still declined stating that we're not in the right place for it right now. She accepted that and agreed to cancel our transaction, telling me that no money would be drawn from our account. So, I'm watching my checking account like a hawk right now. There's still a hold for the money in place, but the credit union says it will expire tomorrow at 0800. I asked for a cancellation number, but the girl said that since my card hadn't been charged yet, there was no cancellation number to provide - because the transaction had not yet gone through, there was nothing generated to say this has been cancelled - our number is simply no longer in the transaction queue and that if the money had already come out of our account, and then cancelled, a cancellation number would be generated at that time. She assured me that I will not be charged.

I was so anxious about the difficulty I'd have getting the transaction cancelled after reading some BBB complaints last night that I couldn't sleep. I ended up taking an Ativan to help. I finally dozed off about 1 am. And I'm not sure why I was so anxious b/c it was a breeze to cancel. The gal didn't get snotty with me like the reviews said she does. She did get a bit frustrated when trying to explain to me why I couldn't get a cancellation number, but it dissolved quickly - I think it was more of a "I don't know how to explain this" kind of frustration.

Brad and I have a rule that we don't give out our financial info to people who call us and I don't know why we both ignored that rule last night. I think if we had gone, we would have gotten a hotel room for 7 days for $550. I believe that. And I believe we would have a great time. The hotel she said we'd be at was a 4 star hotel (based on the reviews people left on Google) and was right outside Animal Kingdom. It was a steal, honestly. But I'm not comfortable with the reviews on those tours. That was something I didn't really want to deal with - sales pressures, hostage situations, hassles, kids... nah. I think we'll just go to Disney the old fashioned way.

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Wow, so glad you dodged that one.