Page 456 of 554 FirstFirst ... 356406446454455456457458466506 ... LastLast
Results 4,551 to 4,560 of 5536

Thread: My Journey from Sugar Burner to Fat Burner - jenn26point2's Primal Journal page 456

geostump is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by jenn26point2 View Post
    I brought a potato to nuke for lunch but forgot my butter.... how the hell does one forget the KG???
    Too much thinking about deer hunting ?

Speaking of deer hunting, gun season starts in Ohio the Sunday after Thsnksgiving. Our schools close the Monday after Thanksgiving to give the kids an extra day to hunt now. Back in my day, that Monday was an excused absence, now it's a holiday.

jenn26point2 is online now Senior Member
    No hunting holidays around here. I know other states make a bigger deal out of it than Iowa does...

Yes, probably too much thinking about other things. Even forgot to set up a sitter for our kids for tonight so we could attend parent/teacher conferences. Oops. lol
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

So, do you all remember last year when Brady was in kindergarten and the horrible reports we got from his teacher about his behavior? Well, I think it was the teacher and not the child. Last night we had a parent teacher conference with his 1st grade teacher and she gave a glowing report. She said he's all boy and there's a lot of things going on in that head, but he's a very smart boy, he gets his work done and he loves school. When we walked into the classroom and she sat down, the first thing she said, with admiration in her voice, was "Myyyyy Brady". We knew from that very second this was going to be way different than last year.

Her only complaint was that sometimes he's more into his books than into the class, so she has to tell him frequently to put the books down and pay attention to the lesson. I think that's a good problem to have! lol He reads at a level that is higher than where he is expected to be. I guess, according to the school's testing, he reads at a 1st grade level, but of a child who's been in school for seven months, rather than two. I'm not sure exactly what this means, but it sounds good.

She's been evaluating the class for the TAG (Talented and Gifted) program as well. The TAG coordinator comes to the classrooms now, provides a lesson to the students, and the names of those students that pick up on it the fastest/easiest are written down. His teacher said that every single time, Brady's name goes on the list.

She gave the class a chance to grade themselves by indicating what their best subjects are and what subjects they think they struggle at. He said his thinks reading is his best subject and that he needs help with math, but she disagreed with him. She said he is doing very well at math too, but she asked them to be honest and write what they feel, and that's what he wrote, so we'll work to make him more comfy with his math abilities.

She said so many other things that made my heart swell and eyes well with tears from pride, but I can't remember them all. We talked about how different it has been this year just having a different teacher. She asked who his teacher was last year and we told her, and she kind of seemed to understand immediately. She said that teaching style plays a huge role in how kids do and she and last year's teacher have vastly different teaching styles - not that one is better than the other, but different children respond differently to it. Brad still thinks it's b/c last year's teacher was a bitch. lol

In PE they did a fitness test based of of The Presidential Challenge and he scored at the National level, meaning he's in the top 50th percentile for physical fitness, get this, for running... lol He ran the shuttle run in 13.3 seconds. Not sure what the shuttle run is, but I assume it's something like sprints.

Makenna's teacher only had positive things to say about her too. She knows her numbers, colors, shapes, etc, and is learning how to spell her name. She's doing well to conform to classroom rules (raising hand, waiting turns, etc). It's preschool... her teacher didn't go as far into details, pretty much just showed us "test" scores, projects that she has completed, etc.

Bottom line, we're very proud of both of our kids, but especially proud of Brady and the glowing report we got for him. He's such a good kid. He has his moments, but he's such a good kid.

OH! How could I forget... his teacher has 3 girls. She said that Brady is the boy she would have had if she'd had a boy. Ornery, all boy, but with a huge heart. <3 Can we keep this teacher forever???

canio6 is offline Senior Member
    Wow, it sounds like you have great kids and a great teacher for Brady.
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

What the F&#* is a decorum? - Mr. Anthony

theprimalcajun is offline Senior Member
    Awesome on your great kids & a great teacher for Brady!! I think some people have no business being teachers!! But then we have some that are so awesome!! Like our own Paula! My brother teaches advanced math (high school) & he is also a great teacher...the kids love him. My hat's off to teachers nowadays...they have a lot to put up with!!

I also think most kids are a reflection of their home environment...so you & Brad are obviously doing something right & are great parents!! So yay you guys!
    SW-211
    CW-209

Goal: Don't worry be happy!

I wouldn't say we're great parents... but thanks just the same.

Re: last year's teacher. Brad had her for kindergarten... he's 31, if that tells you how long she's been teaching. I think at this point she's lost the "fun" of teaching kindergarten and has gotten into the point where she wants it to be easy. She wants the kids to conform so she doesn't have to do as much work. It's hard work to teach and discipline the children, and I think at this point she just wants to teach and not have to constantly herd cats and corral birds. But after 20 some years as a kindergarten teacher, maybe moving to an older set of students would be too difficult of a task to take on (getting re-educated, etc) and so she sticks with kindergarten and is just a total rag b/c she's completely unhappy and is just counting down the days to retirement... who knows. All I know is that kindergarten is completely behind us, he's gotten comfortable with his new teacher (who went to high school with Brad), and he's loving school again.

naiadknight is offline Senior Member
    Yay for the kids! Glad they're doing well in classes. I had a feeling it was the teacher rather than Brady.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Pebbles67 is online now Senior Member
    I'm so glad to hear you great news about Brady's teacher. My son Kevin is in a wonderful class this year too.

As a teacher, my first job is to make them love me, then we work out the kinks. This works for most kids.

She reiterated to us that Brady is a very good kid with a very warm heart, he just sometimes makes bad choices.

He is very impulsive. If anything is a problem for him, it's impulse control. We're working on it, but it's very slow going. The first thing we've tried to teach him is if he feels himself getting really excited about something (like when they arrive at their destination for a field trip, or whatever) he is to stop, close his eyes, take a deep breath, count to 3 (or 5), and then proceed. New places are very exciting for him and this has helped tremendously.

Paula, I think Brady's kindergarten teacher tried to do the same, but a relationship was never formed between the two of them. Brady liked her, but I don't think she liked Brady. I felt like he was targeted from the start as "the bad kid".

PrimalCon New York
    Life related ramble:

I saw a ghost yesterday... not like a real ghost, but a ghost from my past. It probably wasn't this person, but he looked so incredibly similar that my brain is certain it was him. Before Brad, I dated a guy for 2 1/2 years. We met in the Army and hit it off right away. We didn't make it past me meeting Brad, but Brad was not the reason I broke up with him. The reason I broke up with him was because I was not deserving of his heart. I cheated on this guy twice when my inhibitions were down and judgements impaired. I'm not using alcohol as my excuse, but I do believe that if alcohol weren't involved, I would have been a better person. I never told him that I betrayed him, just broke up with him and asked if we could still be friends. He, of course, said yes, but we lost contact - i.e. he never returned any of my calls when I tried to reach him to see how things were going. I guess he needed a clean break. No worries, I understand. However, yesterday, when I thought I saw him, it got me interested in where he is, what he's doing, and what his life has become. I have tried to stalk him on facebook in the past with no success.

Scratch that... my stalking skills have apparently gotten stronger. I just went to "dexknows.com" and looked him up. He is "associated" with a gal names Samantha, so I stalked her on FB and found him through her. I added him as a friend on FB on a whim. We'll see if we can be friends now or not. I miss his sisters too. Found both of them, but didn't add... afraid they won't remember me. I think his younger sister would be more likely to accept my friend request as we were closer, but I'll wait it out and see if he adds me back first or not. His FB activity is from May, which is quite some time ago... maybe he doesn't even use FB anymore. We'll see. And I can see based on that little activity that he is still 100% obsessed with Star Wars... his last 10 status updates are Star Wars quotes... what a nerd. lol

Before someone freaks out and worries that I'm going back in my past b/c I am not happy with Brad... this is not true. I am just finally at a place in my life where things feel stable enough that I can actively try to reconnect with people from my past without causing problems. There is only one person from my life that I NEVER want to see again (and I stalk him on FB occasionally simply b/c I'm terrified of him and want to know his whereabouts), everyone else is welcome to come back into my life. Everyone has made a significant impact on my life and who I am today, and I want them to continue being a part of it. Even if it's just as facebook friends so we can check in once a year. J and I split b/c something wasn't right between us - I mean, why else would I stray from our relationship TWICE?? That doesn't mean I don't still care for him and don't want the very best for him and wonder what he's up to from time to time. I am also in pursuit of three girls from college that I considered best friends. We lost touch after we all graduated and I'm trying hard to reconnect with them. The only regrets I have in life are letting dear friends get away and thanks to Facebook, it might be possible to reconnect. *fingers crossed* I hope we can be friends.

Anyhow... ghosts from our past. I guess we all have them. The question is whether or not we want them to be back in our lives as real beings. In my case, with the exception of one person, that answer is and always has been yes.

/ramble