Page 448 of 593 FirstFirst ... 348398438446447448449450458498548 ... LastLast
Results 4,471 to 4,480 of 5927

Thread: My Journey from Sugar Burner to Fat Burner - jenn26point2's Primal Journal page 448

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    DFAS and G8 were never furloughed. But without an approved budget, we still won't get paid on time b/c there won't be money for DFAS or G8 to distribute.

Back to work today. Got the call about 7:45 this morning and told to take my time getting in. I got here about 9:15.

I finished my app for the new job today and quite honestly, I have zero experience based off of the questions they asked on the app... hopefully my master's degree and veteran's preference status wil help me score a new job... The job posting says that a master's degree will be accepted in absense of experience, but the employee would come in at the lowest pay grade and be in a "training" status for a year or something like that. That's cool! Train me for a year. I don't mind. I just want that job!! While the pay increases that will come with getting the rank of GS-11 and GS-12 would be stellar, I'm good with GS-09... it's the same pay as I get now (I took an administrative cut from a GS-09 temporary position to a GS-08 permanent position, but my pay didn't change b/c of 'safe pay'). And if I understand the way it works, I'll be promoted to GS-11 after the first year. Works for me... *fingers crossed*

Back on the 100% primal bandwagon today. Gained 10 lbs in the last 10 days or so... I know it's all bloat b/c I ate a lot of wheat products... bleh... Shame on me... I didn't die, but my gut protested enough that I should have gotten back on track sooner. The sugar monster is talking loudly right now. It wants any kind of sugar I can get a hold of and I failed to bring fruit with me today (I knew I was forgetting something when I packed my lunch!) so I may go upstairs to the cafeteria to get an overpriced apple and an overpriced can of pineapple soon.

Glad to be back at work... I didn't realize how much I missed socializing all day. I don't get that same level of socialization when I'm at home all day long.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

I'm going to vent a tiny bit here... I know, right??? It seems like that's all I do... sorry.

We all know SIL/MIL are my sitter during the work week, and that they have these weird 7 am to 5 pm hours. Most daycares around here start at 6-6:30 and close at 6 pm... so from the start these hours were a problem b/c it really hinders when I can work - no more playing with going in early/staying late, etc. I absolutely HAVE to leave at 4:30 to pick up our kids by 5:15, a pickup time that was originally "ok". Recently, that isn't ok anymore. She said that staying open til 5:15 makes for a really long day and starts to intrude on her family time... She asked that Brad start picking the kids up by 5... really? It's 15 minutes...

So now, Brad gets home at 3:30, gets to spend an hour doing whatever (be it mowing the lawn, working on the car, etc), then has to quit in order to pick up the kids between 4:30 and 5, and then has to wait til I get home to commense whatever task he was working on (mowing our lawn takes 2-2 1/2 hours). Ok, whatever, we can deal with that... fine. It's a hassle, but whatever keeps the rest of the family happy, right? *eyeroll*

Enter this week - Brad gets asked to work 2nd shift to work on a project that can't be done during first shift... he asks if MIL and SIL can make something work so that the kids are cared for until I can pick them up between 5:15 and 5:30. SIL agrees to keep them. I texted her this morning to confirm that she would have the kids (as opposed to MIL taking them home with her). She said: "I will have them, I told Brad I would keep them everyday but Wednesday as long as you come straight here to get them after work because I have plans to walk most nights"...

Really? Come straight there to pick them up? I felt like I was a teen talking to my mom about curfew... seriously?? At what point do you shut off the "business light" and turn on the "sister doing a favor" light? I realize she has a life to live, but she knew going into this that I don't get home before 5 and Brad may have to work second shift and she would be asked to keep the kids later on some days as a result. It was perfectly fine before but now all of a sudden it's not ok for me to pick them up.

I responded to SIL's text with "I will come straight home... mom... lol" and got no response, so she must not have thought it was all that funny. *shrug* (Later, I was on FB and the girl she's walking with posted a status that says "Sooooo tired of rude people"... maybe it's coincidence, but it seems awfully timely... *shrug again*

As much as I hate to wish my kids' lives away, I cannot wait until the summer before Makenna goes into kindergarten so I can pull both kids from SIL's daycare and put them in Latchkey. At least at Latchkey I'll have the flexibility to work 10 minutes late or stop for gas or food on the way home, or swing by my mom's to pick something up (like Brad's patched shorts) b/c I'll have until 6 to get them picked up.

So annoying, and not a hassle we expected when we agreed to move the kids to her care.

I don't expect SIL to bend over backwards for us. I know she has a business to run and has to lock the doors at some time (a lesson she learned from her dad when he had a welding business and found himself welding on clients' equipment at all hours of the day/night any day of the week), and we do our best not to take advantage of the fact that she's family by expecting her to keep our kids... but I wish she could realize there's a difference between being our sitter with set hours and being our sister and helping us out with a favor.

I've noticed similar behavior from MIL too. I don't even bother to ask MIL to babysit anymore b/c the answer is typically no b/c she's so tired after watching kids all day long or working a 45 hour week or something else like that... yeah, we all freaking work. We all have long days... we're asking you to watch the kids for two freaking hours, not keep them for a week. And it REALLY chaps my hide when she tells me no, and an hour later SIL and her kid are over there hanging out - after MIL just had this really long stressful day with SIL and SIL's son...

I just KNEW that this was going to happen when I found out they were going into business together... and you don't even want to know the conversation we had when I was furloughed and didn't know when I'd be paid again. It went something along the lines of SIL saying "you signed a contract and have to give me 2 weeks notice if you won't need my services anymore". Are you fucking kidding me?? I'm out of an effing job and have no idea when my next paycheck will come in and she's holding a contract over my head? If I don't have the money to pay, I don't have the money to pay... sorry, but other things will come first - like my mortgage, groceries, and gas. I'd pull my kids if need be so she's not working for free, but paying her for those two weeks would have been VERY low on my priority list... Prefacing such a demand with "I know the situation sucks" does not soften the blow of "you will pay me anyway".

The family used to be tight. When the kids were younger and Brad still worked second shift, MIL would invite us to stay for dinner. She'd call all the time and ask if the kids could come over to play for a while. Then all of a sudden, this stopped. I can't remember the last time we were invited for dinner, but I can tell you the number of times in the last month that SIL and her kid were invited over for dinner - 10 - each night that her husband was on 2nd shift last month. I really pisses me off - but mostly it hurts. All of a sudden, it seems like Brad and I and our kids are no longer welcome...

Oops... it's 4:36... I'm gonna be late. I could go on and on anyway, so I should probably stop... Thanks for listening - if you're still here.

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    That sounds like a load of unwashed tripe. I'm sorry hun. I can't help you from afar, so I'll offer you what I can. *Hugs*
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Pebbles67 is online now Senior Member
    That is a crappy situation. I had something similar when Kevin was a baby. It sucked. So glad when he started Pre K.

Many are probably wondering why we pulled our kids from their previous daycares to go to SIL's... we did it to help her out. She was getting ready to open her doors (i.e. had quit her other job) and still didn't have any kids on her roster. We agreed to pull Makenna from her currrent (6 am to 6 pm) daycare/preschool to help SIL out and get her an income to start while she waited for more kids to roll in. After a couple of weeks, she had a few part-timers, but only Makenna as a full-time child. After a month or so she picked up a couple more, but I don't think she's at full capacity even yet (10 months into her business venture).

We discussed all of these things prior - Makenna getting transport to preschool since she was going to be missing out on preschool at her old daycare, covering down and watching Brady when the Latchkey was closed, the hours based off of my work hours b/c Brad's schedule changed weekly (he was still working split shift at that time). Things were going well enough that we moved Brady there a week or two before school started which made my life easier b/c I was able to drop two kids off at one place instead of two kids off at two places. She only has Brady before and after school, so only 3 hours max, and shouldn't have been an issue regarding school drop off/pick up b/c she had other kids to drop off/pick up at the school - Brady would just be one more body. This brought in more money for her for minimal work b/c he's 6 and pretty self sufficient... It was all agreed upon and fine. Then all of a sudden, things weren't fine anymore.

Brad went on straight first shift and all of a sudden, the extra 15 minutes was too much work. I'm not sure what changed b/c as far as I can tell, nothing changed. She just said the extra time made for too long of a day... which is odd to me b/c Brady is no more work than Makenna is. In fact, right now, they're both perfectly content on the couch watching Paw Patrol - which they were watching when I picked them up tonight.

Re: the rest of my issues with the relationship between MIL and us... it used to be like we all lived together, but in separate houses. Every spare minute was spent hanging out with each other at one another's house - mostly at their house b/c that's where the race car is... now it's almost like they don't want us over there anymore. It's saddening. It's like we've become the black sheep of the family. It's a bummer, really...

Anyhow... I think I've gotten it all out now. On to other things - like making dinner and working on Flying. I hope everyone has a good night.

canio6 Guest
    So pull them out when the contract is over. Tell them that you can tell they are overworked. Also, you don't want to think of them as a bill or obligation but as family. You know, bullshit, because that is crappy treatment right there.

Summer of 2015... when Makenna's eligible to go to Latchkey... She has to be going into kindergarten before she can go to Latchkey. Then I'll drop the off at the Latchkey, the Latchkey will get the to school and pick them up, and I'll be able to leave them anytime between 6 and 6... Someday...

Brady told me tonight that he wanted to test the smoke detectors (fire safety week was last week - they must still be talking about it at school). So, we tested the detector in the hallway outside his bedroom. Our detectors are all interconnected, so when one goes off, they all go off. I demonstrated this for him by having him go into my bedroom while I pushed the button. He was pretty stoked about that. Then we discussed exit routes (three of them - front door, back door and bedroom window). I showed him how to open his window (and how to unlock it if it's locked) and how to push the screen out. One of these days, I'll have him practice jumping out the window too. I should probably tell him that escaping to the basement and out the escape well windows is an option too. Or jumping out the door in the dining room (no deck yet, so the door is about 4 foot off the ground - a little far for a wee man to jump, but if necessary, it's there...

Anyway... it's been a good night despite Brad being on 2nd. Watching Sam and Cat - a kids' show on Nickelodeon. Brady loves it. And it just happens to be on and I haven't changed the channel yet... It happens more often that I'd like to admit. lol

theprimalcajun is offline Senior Member
    You get my deepest sympathies for in laws that suck!!! You know how fond I am of mine!! ;p I just don't understand how they think!! That is your mil's grandchildren for pete's sake!! I would ask 'em what their problem is...but then that's just me & I've drawn a line in the sand with my in laws. You were doing her a favor when she started! Not like you're expecting them to do it for free!! Sheesh! Where is family loyalty these days? I'm with canio...it's all bull shit!!
    Goal: Don't worry be happy!

Anyone have any tried and true treatments for poison ivy? I kind of hugged a tree with a PI vine crawling up the side of it on Friday. I washed with Dawn as soon as I could (twice) and thought I got away scot free. Last night, I discovered a pox on my left forearm. I swabbed it with rubbing alcohol and covered it with a bandage to keep from irritating it/making it itch/scratching it in my sleep, etc. Tonight, I discovered for pox(es??) on the back of my right elbow. Same drill - swabbed and covered. I think I might be developing one on the back of my left thumb as well - swabbed it.

Any other tried and true home remedies to prevent the spread?

ssn679doc is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    You need to use something that will remove the oil from the poison ivy from your skin. Something like this should work well.

Amazon.com: Tec Labs Tecnu Outdoor Skin Cleanser 12-Ounce: Health & Personal Care

I have used a product similar to this, and it worked well. You should be able to find it in most drug stores.... I have seen similar products in Lowes/Home Depot etc... and in Wal-Mart as well.