Page 423 of 590 FirstFirst ... 323373413421422423424425433473523 ... LastLast
Results 4,221 to 4,230 of 5892

Thread: My Journey from Sugar Burner to Fat Burner - jenn26point2's Primal Journal page 423

theprimalcajun is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Yay Jenn on the canner!! Are you an experienced canner? If not I would suggest getting the Ball book of canning if you don't already have it. Can get it at Wally World, it's not expensive. I absolutely love to can! You name it & I think I've canned it. lol. Ok maybe not...but I've canned my own beef stew...chicken...peaches...pears...even hamburger patties! Potatoes...carrots...sweet potatoes...green beans...pickles, relishes & of course lots of tomatoes, in different ways. Hubby's big garden didn't do to well this year, I guess cause of lack of rain, so I didn't do a lot of canning, cept tomatoes. Watering is ok but it's not the same as rain. Anyways...I have a pressure canner (actually 2) & a hot water bath canner (2 as well). The stuff you can is soooo much better for you & you control what goes into it. As far as meats go, if you can afford to buy in bulk you will save money in the long run. Mom & I canned some more chicken last month, it was .97 a lb buying in bulk at Sam's. Anyways good luck on your canning journey! If I can help ask away. If I don't know the answer I'll help you find it...I have lots of canning books & there is a helpful site on the internetz, I'd have to find the link don't remember off the top of my head.

Congrats on day 9! I'm on day 7. Tomorrow I will weigh & see how the week went. I'm gonna weigh once a week. Going 30 days without stepping on the scale would be hard...not because of being attached to it but because for me it's a useful gauge in how things are progressing. That & the tape measure. Keep up the good work!!
    Goal: Don't worry be happy!

tomi is online now Senior Member
    Nice job, Jenn! You always ROCK the whole30!
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

I'm doing this because I'm worth it - because I'm worthy - because I love myself.

Goals: Healthy mind, healthy body, happy soul.

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    I am NOT an experienced canner... This is my first year. So far, I have two pints of tomato sauce, 5 pints of tomato juice (that I will later cook down into sauce, but I was out of time, so I canned it as juice to keep it til I'm ready for it - might end up drinking it b/c it is so freaking good!!). I've frozen a BUNCH of zucchini and later learned I was supposed to blanch it first to kill the enzymes that will cause it to break down. An experienced canner friend on FB told me that it'll be ok as long as I use it up this winter. Oh, and I froze 7 spaghetti squash after baking them.

My method previous to the "new" canner was this: take 4 inch deep sauce pot (it's my big pot), fill with water, bring to boil, blanch tomatoes. Clean pan.

Use same plan to make sauce/juice, whatever. Transfer to jars. Wash pan.

Fill pan with water about half full, bring to a boil, add jars of cooked goodies. Boil for 35 minutes (or whatever is needed - tomatoes require 35 minutes for pints according to Ball). Clean pan (hard water so I get a calcium build up in the pan that I have to clean out before using again),

Repeat.

It's so tedious using the same pan for all steps! I'm sooo excited to have a canner now! Now I just need to get a bigger sauce pot so I can do more than 1 gallon of sauce/juice at a time. Maybe two so I can blanch and stew at the same time.

I think next year stepmom and I are going to make it a larger operation, but I don't know who's kitchen we'll use. Neither are really big enough for two people to be working efficiently in. Maybe by larger operation we mean more tomatoes. Since they have the farm to their disposal now we can do much larger quantities of plants.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    I loved reading about your race. Good job, Jenn!

I saw that movie, too. Very wrenching.

Hugs on the money situation. To you, too, Pebbles.

Yay to a canner!

Quote Originally Posted by tomi View Post
    Nice job, Jenn! You always ROCK the whole30!
    Thanks, Tomi. I think it's my "magic" combination, but oy is it hard to stick to forever. I mean, who can give up all sweeteners forever?? I mean, honey? Really? But, it's just to break the cycle, so...

Anyhow, I think it's my perfect solution. Supposedly we all have one.

theprimalcajun is offline Senior Member
    Jenn add a little white vinegar to your canning water. We have hard well water & if I don't do that my jars get that ugly film on them. The vinegar does the trick. Don't need much, just a good splash. How's that for accuracy! lol. Always remember that your jars have to be completely covered with water in the water bath. At least an inch...more would be even better. & the pot should be covered too. You may already know that tho.
    Goal: Don't worry be happy!

Quote Originally Posted by Sabine View Post

Hugs on the money situation. To you, too, Pebbles.
    Thanks, Sabine. We're surviving, but it's not fun and that's the problem. There's no room for fun and he doesn't understand why there can't be room for fun... hell, I'm not even able to put into my retirement right now, so how the hell can I justify a bunch of fun? It'll get better someday.

But stepmom reminded me of something - without me, he'd be unable to race - especially given the division of debts versus income. With my income mostly going to his debts, he depends on me to keep things afloat. So, if he wants to keep racing, he needs to conform and accept things the way they are, and ensure I am happy. If things were to get too bad and I were to split, he'd be left high and dry and still without his fun. Well, I guess he'd still have fishing.

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jenn26point2 View Post
    But stepmom reminded me of something - without me, he'd be unable to race - especially given the division of debts versus income. With my income mostly going to his debts, he depends on me to keep things afloat. So, if he wants to keep racing, he needs to conform and accept things the way they are, and ensure I am happy. If things were to get too bad and I were to split, he'd be left high and dry and still without his fun. Well, I guess he'd still have fishing.
    Yes, but does HE realize this?

Quote Originally Posted by theprimalcajun View Post
    Jenn add a little white vinegar to your canning water. We have hard well water & if I don't do that my jars get that ugly film on them. The vinegar does the trick. Don't need much, just a good splash. How's that for accuracy! lol. Always remember that your jars have to be completely covered with water in the water bath. At least an inch...more would be even better. & the pot should be covered too. You may already know that tho.
    My stepmom doesn't do this and when I questioned her, she said "My jars still seal and no one has gotten sick, so I don't think it's really as important as they say, so I haven't been doing it. Maybe now that I have a canner and will be capable of getting the water over the jars, I'll do it. Before I just did not have the capability.

OH! And I did pickles and cucumers and onions. Those were the first things I canned. The cucumbers and onions are DELICIOUS! But of course, not whole30 approved (hell, they're barely primal with all that sugar) so they sit in my basement right now.

I need a shelving system to store all my goodies. Right next to my freezer would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Sabine View Post
    Yes, but does HE realize this?
    Doubtful. He's never sat down and looked at the bills and who they "belong" to by name. They're just "our" debts. But if he were to sit down and see what the debts are and who they actually belong to, I think he'd be shocked.

The conversation hasn't been had since the text message argument on Friday where he told me things were going to change or else, and when I said "or else what" he said he didn't know yet. Whatever. Threaten all you want buddy. It'll get you no where. I told him to find a solution and I'd let him run with it... I think he'll find that my solution is the only one that's going to work and that I've entertained all other options - especially the separate checking accounts to divide up the blame, but even THAT won't work b/c I'll be giving him so much money to make his own ends meet... but then again, maybe that's EXACTLY what we need to do so that he realizes just how much money he spends that he doesn't have... hmmm... tempting.