Page 418 of 555 FirstFirst ... 318368408416417418419420428468518 ... LastLast
Results 4,171 to 4,180 of 5549

Thread: My Journey from Sugar Burner to Fat Burner - jenn26point2's Primal Journal page 418

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    That was a thrilling recap. It almost makes me want to run. Congrats.

tomi is offline Senior Member
    still playing with the couch to 5k thing.............. you and Tasha have me inspired!
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

As per Marcadav:
    Do 30-60 days clean primal.
    No grains, sugar, alcohol.
    Eat 3 meals and primal snacks.
    Don't track food.
    Don't tweak.
    Don't expect issues to go away quickly. Instead, just follow the plan and see how things play out.
    Decide on an exercise plan you can/will do consistently during the 30-60 days and then do it.

jenn26point2 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by geostump View Post
    Congrats on the half marathon! That's amazing your able to walk today! We saw so many kids that had to be carried off the field at the cross country meet, it blew my mind.

Question about running. Is it typically for cross country runners to take short strides when they run? Tristan kind of looked awkward to me with her long legs taking such short strides at the meet. She said that unless she is running uphill, it hurts to open up her stride on flat surfaces. She told me her legs start to hurt from the ankle to her knees and also in the upper outer thigh area. Any advice?
    Short frequent steps are recommended by every running coach and physical therapist out there. Less time on the ground = less strain on the body. She is likely suffering from ITBS. Google how to treat - requires a foam roller and is incredibly painful, but oh so worth it to make that sheath of connective tissues happy. Specific stretches target this area too. Runner's World & Running Times | Runner's World can be very helpful here.

Also, shoes and running surface will play a large role in this as well. Does she race on a different surface than she trains on? This could be a big part of it - for instance, if she trains on streets and races on trails or grass lands. She needs to train on a surface like what she races on. If her shoes are wrong for her step, gait, and pronation, she could continue to have problems as well. I haven't had ANY of the typical running injuries (aside from overuse tendonitis - which is my fault, not my footwear's fault) since switching to vibrams. Not sure if her school allows the students to run in them or not.

But definitely look into ITBS. That's what it sounds like to me - having been there before. It sucks very much bad if it goes untreated.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

geostump is offline Senior Member
    If you're saying short frequent steps are what is needed, then she's doing that right. She runs on all types ground, pavement, trails, grass/dirt/gravel. Her coach is anti-Vibram. I had her try running in mine and she hated it. She doesn't feel like they grip well at all. Hills are where she can really open up her stride.

June68 is offline Senior Member
    Congratulations, Jenn. what a great race. you won in so many ways!
    5' 9" 44 YO F
    PB start June 2, 2012
    Pre PB SW = 180 (no scale at home, Mom's scale January - 153lbs!)

PB Journal

I got some more information out of Tristan. It's primarily the bottoms of her feet that hurt. She says pavement is the most painful(she hates running track), but grass and turf does not hut at all.

theprimalcajun is offline Senior Member
    Wonderful, exciting recap!!! I loved it & the pictures too! You should be soooo proud of yourself! I'm proud of you!! You are an inspiration! Mega congrats!
    SW-211
    CW-209

Goal: Don't worry be happy!

jenn26point2 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by geostump View Post
    If you're saying short frequent steps are what is needed, then she's doing that right. She runs on all types ground, pavement, trails, grass/dirt/gravel. Her coach is anti-Vibram. I had her try running in mine and she hated it. She doesn't feel like they grip well at all. Hills are where she can really open up her stride.
    Weird that she doesn't think they grip...

Anywho, if her coach is anti vibrams and she's anti vibrams, then I'd recommend a merrell type shoe.

And regarding her pains, she needs to see her coach. He's supposed to keep her injury free so she needs to make sure he's aware of them and require that he give her whatever advice to fix the problem. Again, could be an improper shoe thing. Could be a nutrition thing. Could be a surface thing. For me, it's always been shoe and nutrition.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

I'm taking her after the first of the year to get properly fitted for a running shoe. I cant afford a good running shoe until then. Coach told us to find something that has a thick sole and soft spikes for the first year runners. Next year, her race shoes will have spikes in them. She doesn't have practice tonight, middle schoolers are off tonight. I will talk with her about talking to her coach tomorrow.

mfultz0429 is offline Junior Member
    I have enjoyed your journal. Good to see someone has journaled for as long as you have. How is the Whole 30 going? I'm on Day 17. I started reading this in preparation for when the W30 is done.