Page 417 of 580 FirstFirst ... 317367407415416417418419427467517 ... LastLast
Results 4,161 to 4,170 of 5796

Thread: My Journey from Sugar Burner to Fat Burner - jenn26point2's Primal Journal page 417

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    It wasn't showing up on my computer. Thanks.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

New Bo Half Marathon Race Recap

For those interested, here is the race recap I posted at SparkPeople.com.

I wanted to keep with tradition and post a quick rundown of my most recent half marathon and share it with all of you. I didn't keep everyone here [SparkPeople] abreast of my training b/c it really wasn't all that exciting - and I've kind of fallen off the SparkPeople wagon since finding Paleo and MyFitnessPal.

Quickly, training was uneventful, really. Run, run some more, and run again. I did develop a minor injury while training - tendonitis of the foot - but The Princess of Pain, Dr. Lake, fixed me right up over a series of weeks - diet played a MAJOR role in my healing - specifically, grain/gluten-, sugar- and dairy-free. I trained in Vibrams and when I worried that the injury was caused by my footwear (or lack thereof) Dr. Lake suggested I keep training in them and that the tendonitis was simply my feet getting used to the new workload and that it would pass - like every one of my other injuries. She told me to focus on low-inflammation foods and epsom salt baths, and at one point had me eliminate all running except for my long run (for three week straight). The combined efforts made for a fantastic half marathon.

My goal was to run the entire half marathon. My previous six half marathons (and one 20k) were done using the Galloway walk/run method. I wanted to run one straight through, from start to finish just to say I could. I also wanted to beat the clock and finish in 2 hours, 30 minutes.

Given the setback I had during training, my confidence was a bit lacking and I was fearful I would not meet my goals. But, like they always say "trust the training", so I put faith in my training and went for it. During my training, though, I would stop, drink some water and start up again. I never actually ran a training run from start to finish - I always had a reason to stop midway for water, use the restroom, find some geocaches , something always stopped me. I was fully planning to use the stopping method while doing the half marathon, aiming only to beat 2:30 on my watch, and not really caring what my chip time was.

The two days before race day I ate really crappy b/c I was also gearing up for a Whole30 to start on the same day as the half, so I was easily succumbing to the Last Supper mentality. I had wanted Saturday to be a clean eating day b/c that would be the fuel I'd use during my run and I didn't want to fire up the inflammation furnace with all that crappy food, but I ate it anyway. I think my lack of confidence that I'd be able to achieve my goals for the race fueled my lack of dietary discipline. In any event, it sure produced some great carb loading.

Sunday morning, I rolled out of bed and got dressed. I grabbed my boiled eggs and bacon and a peach for the road. I was headed up to Cedar Rapids where I was meeting up with 3 people I knew - one I knew from the Army, one I knew from work and one I met online that I think I met indirectly b/c of this site [SparkPeople]. I also ended up meeting another person from here [SparkPeople] that I hadn't planned to meet - it just happened, which was cool.

The day was a bit steamy but not hot yet. At 8 am, the gun was fired and the chips started chirping. I don't remember a lot of details about the race, but I remember a few things. I remember my right calf having major issues the first three miles - I assume it was caused by the uneven surface of the road b/c as soon as I moved to the other side of the road, the pain dissipated. My left achilles started to balk during the first three miles as well, but I knew from experience this was a warm-up thing - that as soon as things were fully warmed up, the pain would go away. It did.

Cedar River mile 2.jpg
    View of the river before mile 2.

I passed a lot of Galloway runners. One who breathed like a cow coughs - seriously, head out to a (grain-fed) beef farm sometime and listen to cows cough. Every breath he took sounded like a cow cough and was very distracting.

One gal had her headphones on and the whole time her Garmin was doing this crazy beeping thing - it wasn't beeping like it was time to change intervals or that she'd met a distance, it was beeping sporatically. I can only assume it was beeping to indicate something regarding her heartrate monitor. Whatever it was, the beeping was driving me mad so I was glad when I left her behind at her next walk session.

Then there was the singer... he was singing along with his ipod. I have no idea what he was singing, but wish I had. Knowing might have made it more enjoyable. - Can you tell that the first 5 miles were less than enjoyable for me?

Country Road Mile 3-4.jpg
    Somewhere between miles 3 and 4.

Once I got passed the 5 mile mark, I hit my stride. I felt strong and confident and capable. I sailed through the next two or three miles. Unfortunately, those three miles were on a very sandy trail. I remember in 2011 when I did this race, I rejoiced over the trail, but I don't remember it being so sandy and I wore actual shoes then. Vibrams in sand is a lot of work!

Steel Bridge 2 - Mile 6.jpg
    Steel truss bridge we got to run across

View from Steel Bridge.jpg
    The view from the steel truss bridge

Me mile 6.jpg
    Me just past the steel bridge - I really need to find a different place for my phone! lol

***Break*** Can only post 5 pics per post, so I'm breaking this post up to allow for all my pics...
    Last edited by jenn26point2; 09-04-2013 at 02:31 PM.

Sandy Trail.jpg
    Sandy trail

Between miles 8 and 9, I met up with Kara again. I ran her interval with her, bid her good luck and kept going.

Kara Mile 8.jpg
    There's Kara!!

Cedar River Mile 9.jpg
    View of the Cedar River through the trees around mile 9.

This time, at mile 9.8, I didn't have to sprint across the tracks to avoid the train like I had to do in 2011, which I think ruined my experience in 2011. At mile 10.5, I finally took some water from a volunteer, but I kept running and managed to NOT choke! SCORE!

Mile 11 came and went. This was the furthest I had run during my training and I was concerned I'd start to falter. I just kept telling myself that I only had 2 miles left and I could easily do two miles. I was still passing people - those who were Galloway-ing, and those who had given up. It was during mile 11 that the longest, most boring stretch of the race took place. It's the point of the race when you're running past Cargill, a grain processor, along a truck route. The road stretches on forEVER with nothing to look at, and it's slightly uphill. And we were battling a head wind that felt nice, but made things tough. But I had plenty of time to reach my goal still, and I was still running, without stopping, so I knew this was feasible.

Cedar River - mile 11.jpg
    Cedar River between mile 11 and 12.

Finally, mile marker 12... only one mile to go! At the 12.5 mile point, I started to get excited. Just a few more blocks!! Coming around the corner for the last block and a half, I kicked it into overdrive. I still had 2 minutes left for my goal time, but I wanted to push. I pushed and pushed and pushed and crossed the line at 2:28:52 (according to my Garmin - Chip time was 2:29:10 or something like that).

Kara Finish.jpg
    Since I don't have a picture of me finishing, here's a picture of Kara finishing!

I had beaten BOTH of my goals. I had RUN the entire half marathon distance. IN VIBRAMS. I had beaten my time goal with room to spare. I am STOKED and FLOORED!

Now the REAL challenge arrived... Foodz.

I was soooo hungry. I didn't fuel at all during the race - solely running on the 2 slices of bacon and 1 boiled egg I'd eaten before, and water and electrolyte capsules during the race, so I was a touch on the hungry side (I didn't start to feel hungry until after hitting mile 11 or 12). The food options were pastries or bananas - since I was committed to Whole30, I ate the bananas. 3 of them to be exact. I quickly guzzled two bottles of water as well, but made sure to take an electrolyte capsule to keep from killing myself. I met with some friends, watched the awards ceremony (one friend got 3rd in her age group with 1:50 for a time - she's fast!!), and headed home.

It was a great race and I'm now excited about QCM on the 22nd! If I could run this one straight through, I can run that one as well. Still aiming for a 2:30 finish time. I want to get good at this distance/time before I start pushing for faster times.

tomi is online now Senior Member
    Nice job, Jenn! Congrats on the whole thing!
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

Weight goals:
    Highest weight: 216
    Current weight: 189 (7-16-14)
    Goal weight: 140

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    Congrats, Jenn Looks like it went really well. Nice work on the bananas, too!
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Thanks! I am just so glad to be able to FINALLY post a GOOD half marathon recap! Most of them were "omg this sucked so bad. i'm never running again... blah blah blah" type recaps. They were always so crappy that I would have never remembered the Cow Cougher, the Garmin Beeper or The Singer. I would have NEVER taken pictures b/c I never would have taken a moment to appreciate what was going on around me or what I was doing. This race was amazing and it has fueled the half marathon running fire. I'm excited to get back out there and do some more half marathon running!

Goldie is offline Senior Member
    Terrific! I bet you're really proud that you met both goals!

And the best part is: I CAN WALK TODAY!! After previous half marathons, I was unable to walk like a normal person for usually a week. Today, I'm perfectly fine. DOMS were minimal too.

kalli889 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jenn26point2 View Post
    And the best part is: I CAN WALK TODAY!! After previous half marathons, I was unable to walk like a normal person for usually a week. Today, I'm perfectly fine. DOMS were minimal too.
    Yay! It's SUCH A GOOD FEELING to run that distance all the way through, isn't it? To me it felt like flying!
    My Leptin Reset Journey

Current BF%: 35
    Goal BF%: 20-23

geostump is offline Senior Member
    Congrats on the half marathon! That's amazing your able to walk today! We saw so many kids that had to be carried off the field at the cross country meet, it blew my mind.

Question about running. Is it typically for cross country runners to take short strides when they run? Tristan kind of looked awkward to me with her long legs taking such short strides at the meet. She said that unless she is running uphill, it hurts to open up her stride on flat surfaces. She told me her legs start to hurt from the ankle to her knees and also in the upper outer thigh area. Any advice?
    Georgette