Page 398 of 584 FirstFirst ... 298348388396397398399400408448498 ... LastLast
Results 3,971 to 3,980 of 5834

Thread: My Journey from Sugar Burner to Fat Burner - jenn26point2's Primal Journal page 398

jenn26point2 is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Does anyone have this book??
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

tomi is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jenn26point2 View Post
    I am considering auto-immune paleo as well to see if it has any impact. I know Whole30 has an impact. I just don't like the idea of giving up tomatoes and all that.
    Welcome to my world..................... giving up foods you LOVE because you're body may or may not like them is why I have been struggling for 2 years!
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

Goals: Healthy mind, healthy body, happy soul.

Goldie is offline Senior Member
    Jenn, if you don't already, be sure to eat (drink?) plenty of bone broth. That's supposed to be excellent for joints/cartilage/tendons.

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    And though you may not want to consider it, perhaps even though your mind and heart love running, maybe your feet and legs don't. It could be structural, not RA. Don't let the fear behind the big things blind you to the possibility that it may be a little (or medium) thing.

Pebbles67 is online now Senior Member
    So sorry Jenn. I also hope it is not RA, but having to give up a dream is no small thing either.

Quote Originally Posted by Sabine View Post
    And though you may not want to consider it, perhaps even though your mind and heart love running, maybe your feet and legs don't. It could be structural, not RA. Don't let the fear behind the big things blind you to the possibility that it may be a little (or medium) thing.
    I have considered that too. I plan to finish out the running season (last race is December 7) and see how things work after that. If I can get the pain under control without the use of daily NSAID pain relievers (currently taking 800 mg of ibuprofen every dang morning), then I'll be a happy camper. If not, depression will likely ensue. I have no idea why but for some reason I really enjoy running long distance. And it's really annoying, frustrating, unfair that others can do it with no negative effects, but I can't do it. But, I guess there's always heavy lifting to occupy my energy should running no longer be allowed.

Had open house for our kids' school last night. Open house should instead be called "supplies drop off" night. When I was in school, Open House happened after the school year started and was done to allow the students to show off things they'd been doing in school - special assignments, art projects, etc. I don't even know where the art room IS in our kids' school, but my parents knew b/c we went from classroom to classroom looking at our stuff.

Speaking of school supplies though... I have a serious issue with the way they do school supplies at our school. They make you buy 5 boxes of crayons, 32 pencils, 8 expo markers, 3 folders, a binder, etc, etc, etc, and so you do. You let your kids pick out what they like and spend the bucks to get them quality stuff they will want to use. Then you get to the open house and everything is tossed into a communal box. WTF? NO! I bought that stuff for MY kid. I bought that Hello Kitty folder for MAKENNA, not Josie or Natalie or Katie or whomever else might be in her class.

I understand that some kids' parents can't afford to buy them the necessary school supplies and the extras we buy are used for those kids. I understand that and I agree that they probably need them and it's a good idea for us who can afford it to buy the extras to help out... HOWEVER, I do NOT like being FORCED to buy them. ASK me to buy an extra box of crayons, or an extra folder or two to provide to a needy student. DO NOT FORCE me to supply things for other people's kids. For all you know, *I* could be broke as hell and needed to use a credit card to buy school supplies this year. (I didn't, but they don't know that). For all they know, we could be in foreclosure and about to lose our house, and here we're buying extra school supplies for someone else's kid. (we're not, but that's beside the point - maybe another family is). I *DID* get stuck on furlough and lost 20% of my take home income, and as a result, school supplies were a hardship (I hadn't figured them into the budget). Brad ended up working overtime to pay for them. And as such, our kids did not get new clothes or shoes for school this year. They are in dire need of new clothes, but there's no budget for it yet. Nope... had to pay $150 for school supplies...

I am all about charity. Charity is a necessary thing in our world. I support charities. I donate to charities, I fundraise for charities. I just received a receipt on Friday claiming I'd given $800 worth of clothing to the battered women's shelter. I'm currently raising funds for St. Jude. I have raised funds for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. I donate cash to fundraisers when I can afford to (recently gave $25 to Fisher House - a Ronald McDonald type organization for wounded soldiers, and gave $25 to the LLS). I am 100% pro charity... but when I have to buy 5 boxes of Crayola crayons (not Rose Art, Crayola b/c the sheet says so), 3 folders, 32 pencils, and 2 notebooks to be thrown in a box at Open House b/c Jimmy's parents can't afford to buy him what he needs and the extras will be given to him, I get a little upset. I work for my money (notice I didn't say hard... lol). Brad works for his money. We earn it to spend how we see fit. When we are forced to buy supplies for students that are not our own, it becomes a tax. And 17% of my $3,500 property tax bill already goes to the school. 1% of the sales tax in our county goes to the school. I pay registration for my kid to go to school. Surely a small chunk of that money could be used for poor Jimmy's school supplies.

Obviously, I would make a piss poor democrat... lol

Anyhow, that's my complaint... please don't force me to buy school supplies that go beyond what my kid will need for school. In fact, let me buy what he needs to START school and replace as needed as the school year goes on. It's less of a financial burden that way - for both our family and Little Jimmy's family. I could have easily cut our school bill in half and gotten my kids a pair of jeans or something for school with the extra money not spent on supplies.

marcadav is online now Senior Member
    Have you considered long distance walking in place of the running? Less stress on the body but still a stress/depression reliever.

Now to change the tone, I finally got my appraisal. Boss #2 didn't agree with some of what Boss #1 said and says she's going to change my overall rating. They rated me a 2 (with 1 being the highest), but she said that after our discussion yesterday, she will be changing it to a 1.

She said that the work I do has greatly improved with the new commander coming on board and she wondered why that was. I told her I think it's b/c the new boss gives clearer guidance for what he's looking for, and tasks me more than the old commander did. She nodded and said she can see that and said that my answer was the reason she's going to change the rating.

We discussed my future with the organization and she asked me if I'd considered putting in for any of the GS-11 positions that are coming up soon (or organization is restructuring and as long as the total number of employees does not change, people are able to move around to new/open positions). I expressed that I didn't think I was eligible for any of the GS-11 positions b/c I'm only a GS-08 and don't have enough time as a GS-09 to qualify for an 11. She told me to put in for them and see what happens. So, I will. Apparently the rules are different when we're not opening positions to the public.

She also told me to give my resume to the director of the supply division to get her input on it b/c having been a supply sergeant in the past, I would be an asset. The supply division is where the GS-11 positions will be at. GS-11 is a HUGE promotion. I'd be THRILLED to get a GS-11 position, as long as I like the work, that is.

I also found out that the step increase I received a few months ago was an automatic increase as a result of reaching an anniversary for time in service. Apparently it was a 2 year employment increase. The gal that handles our evaluations said that there are no awards being given for quality evaluations at this time b/c of sequestration. Thanks Congress... I could have really gone or a bonus - my kids need clothes - see previous post. lol

Anywho, so good evaluation. I'm cool with a 2. It's realistic. I says I'm doing ok, but there's room for improvement. And I 100% agree with that. There were some really good points about my potential noted, and the typical weaknesses - attention to detail, distractions, etc. I'm working on it.

Quote Originally Posted by marcadav View Post
    Have you considered long distance walking in place of the running? Less stress on the body but still a stress/depression reliever.
    I have walked a half marathon before b/c my calves were not cooperating and it was the most frustrating/annoying/boring thing I have done. I was going stir crazy. I think the itch to break out into a run would always be there even if I set out to only run it. I need something challenging and long distance walking isn't something I consider to be a challenge. RUNNING is a challenge. LIFTING is a challenge. Walking 13 miles is not - in my opinion - simply b/c I know I can do more and b/c I know I can do more, I don't think I'd be satisfied with doing less. I'm too competitive in my own mind to be ok with just walking.

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    Sounds like good news at work. Congrats
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).