Page 397 of 578 FirstFirst ... 297347387395396397398399407447497 ... LastLast
Results 3,961 to 3,970 of 5779

Thread: My Journey from Sugar Burner to Fat Burner - jenn26point2's Primal Journal page 397

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Shop Now
    Yeah, the mucous production thing is BS. If someone dries up, they were either supposed to be that way (too much before, so that they thought it was "normal") or there's something else going on. Nice that there was a response though, and very polite.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

kalli889 is offline Senior Member
    True. Hooray for politeness!
    My Leptin Reset Journey

Current BF%: 35
    Goal BF%: 20-23

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    I also wondered if he'd read my response... but whatever.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

I made Swirly Crustless Quiche a la Practical Paleo for breakfast this week. Next time I will refrain from adding sweet potatoes. They add a sweetness that doesn't seem to fit. And I don't think I squeezed enough moisture out of the zucchini b/c the consistency is a bit too wet. Guess I'll be boiling some eggs tonight... But my bacon is delicious!

My feet are hurting again. They're really stiff and sore. I am seriously thinking it's arthritis. More specifically, rheumatoid arthritis - my grandpa had it so bad it crippled him. His hands were so deformed he could barely hold a spoon and his feet were so deformed he used a wheelchair and peed in a bucket (the only bathroom in their house was in the basement). It even started to affect his jaw, and his knees were twice the size they should be. I think my mom suffers from it too - but I think she might take medication to control it. I don't know. She and I haven't talked about it for a long time.

The materials I'm reading say it's a symmetrical disease, meaning it affects the same joint on both sides of the body at the same time - both feet are so stiff in the early hours. I take cherry extract to reduce the stiffness - it's knocks it back by about 50%. If I don't take it, I can't walk in the morning or overnight hours. So, I'm scared.

Regarding running - I plan to finish out the 3 races I have planned and then, unless something changes in the way my feet and ankles feel, I am probably going to hang up my running shoes. This makes me sad. I have wanted to run a full marathon for a few years now (hence the screenname) but I don't think that's going to happen. Unless I can come to a conclusion with these feet, I'm probably going to give up that dream.

I am due for a yearly with my doctor. There are blood tests that can determine whether or not you have the RA markers. I'm going to ask the doctor to do this test. Can't hurt to find out if it's there. I'll get her advice regarding what to do too. She's paleo (well, zone - she's a triathlete and says that she gets so low on carbs she binges on fruit at 2 am, so she's reintroduced some grains - like oatmeal) so I know she'll consider diet as a solution. I don't want to take prescription meds for it, but hell, I take ibuprofen all the freaking time for them now, so what's the difference? It's gotten to the point where I can't run without taking ibuprofen first.

I'm curious to see if there is anything I can do holistically to put it in remission - aside from maintaining a squeaky clean diet, b/c I know I can't remain squeaky clean ALL the time. I'm seriously struggling right now. I can do good for the days I'm at work, but then I go into "eat anything with sugar" mode on the weekends. This last weekend, I did remain gluten free... Oh... wait. No I didn't. I had two hushpuppies from Long John Silver's on Friday. (Note, however, that their steamed shrimp with the butter garlic sauce is EXCELLENT!!)

Anyhow, that's my drama right now. I'm scared shitless of RA given how quickly my grandpa's condition deteriorated. He fought it well and was even featured in a farming newspaper b/c he refused to give up farming. They interviewed him, took some pics of him doing his daily stuff, and interviewed my grandma. I wonder if the article is available anywhere online. It was written in the early 90's I think... precursory google search turns up nothing. I know my mom has a copy of it. I wonder if she'd scan it for me. It was a huge spread over an entire page of the newspaper. Pretty cool, aside from the suck factor of his condition.

Anyhow, it's always something, isn't it?

canio6 is offline Senior Member
    Holy hells, I hope that it isn't RA or if it is that medicine has advanced enough to fight it. Good luck Jenn.
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

What the F&#* is a decorum? - Mr. Anthony

tomi is online now Senior Member
    I believe RA is an auto immune disease, yes? Perhaps the auto - immune eating protocol is your best bet - at least for now. It could help with the pain and swelling and maybe get you through the races while you are waiting for the results of the tests and the doctors advice about how to proceed should the tests be conclusive. As for meds -- there are some really good ones to keep the damages of RA at bay. It could be a combo of meds and diet and holistic will keep it at bay indefinitely?

Don't fret too much until you have the test results - but if you are fairly certain and the genetic trail is there it would be wise to start the diet and holistic supplements asap.

sorry, Jenn. I sure hope you don't have to give up your dream of doing a full marathon.
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

Weight goals:
    Highest weight: 216
    Current weight: 189 (7-16-14)
    Goal weight: 140

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Good call on auto-immune, Tomi. Auto-immune paleo is yes, yet another kind of restriction, but if the trade-off is mobility for the rest of your life, it seems worth it to me.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

theprimalcajun is offline Senior Member
    Wow Jenn...I agree it's always something, I say that frequently. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that's it not RA. I think you should be able to control it thru diet & supplementation. Look up info on MSM... the actor James Coburn had RA similar to what sounds like your grandpa did. MSM helped him tremendously. Mom took it a lot of it during her recovery period when she broke her hip. It really helped her pain level. There is an excellent book on it called "The Miracle of MSM, The Natural Solution for Pain". Written by doctors even! Stanley Jacob, Ronald Lawrence. It's not an expensive book. You can order it for $9 here...& this is the only place mom & I get our MSM & have for years because we know its pure. The website also has info. And no I don't make anything from referring people. www.richdistibuting.com

Hope the doc can give you a firm diagnosis either yes or no. Will be waiting to hear.
    Goal: Don't worry be happy!

Talked to Mom. She said her test (done by a physician's assistant) came back negative for RA, but having read what I've read today, the testing for RA is vastly inaccurate b/c there are so many different testing procedures out there and a true diagnosis can only be given by a rheumatologist. Mom seems to trust the PA's diagnosis that it's just generic arthritis. Seriously... arthritis at the age of 33?? WTF?

Thanks for the link, Donna. I can't open it at work so I'll try to remember to log on when I get home.

I am considering auto-immune paleo as well to see if it has any impact. I know Whole30 has an impact. I just don't like the idea of giving up tomatoes and all that.