Page 396 of 593 FirstFirst ... 296346386394395396397398406446496 ... LastLast
Results 3,951 to 3,960 of 5927

Thread: My Journey from Sugar Burner to Fat Burner - jenn26point2's Primal Journal page 396

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    Headed out for a 4 mile run today. After 1.25 miles, I gave up and turned around, finishing 2.5 miles. It totally sucked. I should have taken some ibuprofen before the run so the feet would work properly. And because the run sucked, I am now in a pissy mood. Why is it ALWAYS something? Every time I try to train for a half marathon, something tries to hold me back. In 2007, it was ITBS. In 2011, it was posterior tibial tendonitis, then sciatica and then a super tight gastroc. Now it's both my effing feet! Seriously! *frustratedscream* If I can't get through half marathon training, I'll never be able to run a marathon! And if I don't run a marathon, what good is my screenname??

This is really starting to piss me off.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

I have this watch and today the grey face fell off of it. No idea where it is. So now the watch looks like shit. I want to get a new watch. I found a new timex that has similar features (just no 30 lap feature and what do I really need 30 laps of stored info for when I have a Garmin??) so I think I'm going to order one this weekend. I just can't choose between the purple and the blue.

I chose these because they're only $15. I like the way the white one looks, but it doesn't stay white for long. The band starts to turn a weird blue/green/grey color after some use, so I don't want to go that route again.

It seems Walmart has all the same watches as Amazon and at comparable prices and I have to stop tonight to get some epsom salt anyway, so I think I'll look while I'm there. I know they have the white one still and I'm not 100% opposed to it - there's something appealing to familiarity. But in any event, those are the three I'm looking at. lol They have some cooler ones (like this one) but I don't want to spend more than $35 on a watch, but they are oh so tempting.
    Last edited by jenn26point2; 08-14-2013 at 01:24 PM.

namelesswonder is offline Senior Member
    I love those Ironman watches. I have had a few. I have one in my drawer right now that's not getting used, it has a purple face IIRC. Dead serious, I will send it to you if you want it. I have no need for it. I only used it for an alarm clock
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Curing IBS-C with Vitamin C and magnesium citrate.

Wow! That would be awesome! Usually what happens is that some feature on the watch breaks (band, face) before the watch itself stops working. I still have one at home in the drawer that has a broken band on it and no one around here carries just the bands... Can you post a pic of it?

namelesswonder is offline Senior Member
    I guess I used to have a purple one, this one is gray.

Click on the thumbnails for a bigger image.

Band is in good shape, battery is probably around 5 years old (I'm guessing, I don't know when I got this) so you might want to replace it just in case. The Indiglo (button that lights up the face) still works fine.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Curing IBS-C with Vitamin C and magnesium citrate.

Looks good. I'll PM you my address. Thanks!!! <3

Found that gray face thing that fell off my watch this morning. It was laying under the keypad I use to get onto my floor in the building I work in (secure building - requires a badge and keycode to enter - makes one feel special to disclose that to people. hehehehe It's not quite like saying you work at the Pentagon, but it still has a bit of impression power to it. lol). I'm going to hunt down some crazy glue and see if I can glue it back on. I had glued it once, but only one half of the cover had pulled up, so only half of it got glued. I'm not shocked that it didn't hold. But I am shocked that it didn't fall off when we were playing in the river this weekend.

Weight is back down to 172.8. Just a little way to go to get back to my primal low. I have stopped stressing about following Whole30 perfectly and am just focusing on no dairy, gluten, bad oils, refined sugar - basically, Perfect Primal plus no dairy. I'm fully convinced that I'm intolerant to dairy products - 10 minutes after consuming it, I'm clearing my throat incessantly and my nose gets dry stuffy, sometimes I feel easily winded and start sneezing. It's not comfy, so I'll be saving dairy for those special occasions or times when I simply cannot avoid it.

It's so cool what we learn about our bodies here. 6 months ago I had no idea dairy and I weren't friends anymore. A year and a half ago I had no idea how my body reacted to wheat - although that's not as pronounced as the dairy reaction. Heck, maybe what I thought was a reaction to wheat was actually a reaction to dairy since they usually go hand in hand when it comes to processed foods.

As much as I enjoy the fact that my sciatic is no longer inflammed and I can train for a half marathon without it flaring up and as much as I enjoy not being on 4 medications in an attempt to stabilize my moods, I am THRILLED by the weight loss - that's obviously the most noticable to outsiders and what usually garners the "what did you do?" questions. That's the conversation starter - not the lack of hip pain or mental crazies.

I guess I'm feeling a little thankful today. Thankful Thursday.

theprimalcajun is offline Senior Member
    Awwww yes! Thankful Thursday's!!! I'd forgotten all about them!! lol. Thanks for the reminder! I'm thankful I've come back & reconnected to everyone. And thankful that I have the opportunity to come back & start over at all.

Have a wonderful day!
    Goal: Don't worry be happy!

Quote Originally Posted by jenn26point2 View Post
    My response to this article:

My message is in response to the Smart Paleo article in the July 2013 edition of Max Sport and Fitness. While I think a majority of the article is good, I think you missed the mark completely on why Paleo followers do not eat grains. We don't focus on the political aspects of grains... it quite honestly has little to do with politics. Grains are known gut irritants, linked to illnesses such as Crohn's disease, ulcerative colitis, irritable bowel syndrome, and leaky gut, which leads to a multitude of auto-immune illnesses. We don't boycott grains b/c we hate Monsanto... if that was the reason we'd have to boycott most commercially produced meats as well as most commercial farms feed Monsanto raised grains. Some might hold the political values close to their hearts, but overall grains are shunned because they are gut irritants with little to no nutritional benefit - we can get all the vitamins and minerals present in grains in other foods such as vegetables and meats without the upset digestive system. I also feel bad for the trainer who said he wasn't able to consume enough calories on Paleo... he needs to pick up some bacon and slather on some butter (Paleo followers don't completely shun diary - most will still consume butter). If he wasn't getting enough calories, he wasn't doing it right.

Thank you for the basic info article and for helping us to spread the word about this way of eating. It's not very often that we see a positive article about Paleo, especially in fitness magazines. Most articles I run across indicate that its a bad way to live but fail to explain their reasoning. Aside from the bit on grains, I enjoyed the article and have shared it with friends. Thank you.

I got a response back from the author of this article in response to my response.

Hey Jen,

Thank you for your reply to my article, and for disagreeing with me in a respectful manner-a rare occurrence today haha.

In response to your disagreements, I would like to share my thoughts in an equally respectful manner. I see no need to banter nor argue, and at the end of the day until some of this material are settled sciences, there will always be room for interpretation, and that's what makes discussing this so interesting and stimulating for me.

Firstly, I would like to point out that I did have length constraints I had to fit the article into, so a lot of my reasoning here, while it would have helped, was cut out of the article. With that being said, you did answer what I was trying to get across in the article-that for many, the avoidance of grains has political ties rather than health ones. But you did raise a good point that many/most grains have been linked to irritation/inflammation. However, there is not an agreed upon nor established amount of grains looked at in most of these studies. I for one believe in minimizing grains, but on the same token, they can have benefits, too. One example would be if you know anyone who has been on 'orthodox' Paleo for a long while without 'breaking', there are links to dry tear ducts and sinuses. This is because grains, like white rice for instance, produce mucus (normally a bad thing), but at a baseline level, we need some mucus in us. At the end of the day, I view many aspects of nutrition like I do economic decisions in that, there are very few things that are black or white, 100% upside/downside. There is usually a benefit to risk ratio, and food is no different.

As far as the trainer himself, one part of the article that was left on the cutting room floor, so to speak, was very insulin-sensitive. People like that whom have tried to bio-hack their bodies to be highly fat-adaptive but have failed, tend to depend more on carbohydrates. Thus, he was unable to get enough calories from enough of a variety of sources (of carbs) to vary his micronutrient intake enough.

Thank you for the positive feedback as well. I personally believe Paleo is a great methodology of all the diets that rx food groups for people. I personally often start there when I wrote nutritional programs for really unhealthy people....I also like using the diet myself as a sort of intelligent cleanse (since most cleanses stress non-eating and case HORRIBLE metabolic damage). I don't see Paleo disappearing, but I do see it potentially evolving.

Sincerely,

-Matt Cooper
    General Manager l Certified Nutrition Coach

kalli889 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Is it just me, or did he not read your letter very carefully?

And if you're Paleo and you need carbs, sweet potatoes are SO FREAKING GOOD. And there's fruits and veggies...

And dairy produces mucus too. So. Anyway, whatever. "Cleanse."
    My Leptin Reset Journey

Current BF%: 35
    Goal BF%: 20-23