Page 393 of 590 FirstFirst ... 293343383391392393394395403443493 ... LastLast
Results 3,921 to 3,930 of 5892

Thread: My Journey from Sugar Burner to Fat Burner - jenn26point2's Primal Journal page 393

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Shop Now
    Yeah, I think his recommendations are excessive, but The Mood Cure limits (up to 300 mg of 5-HTP, for example) worked for me.

An interesting note: it was not until I supplemented both L-Tyrosine and 5-HTP for at least a month together that I suddenly felt that I didn't need them anymore. Originally (late 2011), I had been taking both, but not at a 10:1 ratio. After that, I just took 5-HTP because it seemed adequate.

I think it all comes down to gut health, which obviously correlates with diet. L-Glutamine is probably more important than I give it credit for. When I figure out what supplements I want this month/moving forward (taking my time with it for now), that will definitely be included. I don't think it has obvious or short term effects, but it is always included in guides for gut healing.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    Ok, disregard... it would be way cheaper to buy all the supplements from Amazon and take the recommended dosage each day. here's the cost breakdown

supplement Cost per bottle Days bottle will last Cost per day
    di-phenylalanine $19.96 50 $0.40
    l-tyrosine $18.80 30 $0.63
    l-glutamine $8.99 120 $0.07
    5-htp $15.83 40 $0.40
    Vitamin B6 $6.29 33 $0.19
    Chromium picolinate $12.63 100 $0.13
    Vitamin C $14.00 250 $0.06
    Folic acid $7.30 250 $0.03

Total cost per day: $1.90
    Total cost for 10 days: $18.99

Carb22 costs:
    Costs per bottle: $46.95
    Days bottle will last: 10
    Cost per day: $4.70

So, we'd end up with a million bottles on our counters, but we could save money by buying the elements separately and taking the multitude of pills each day...

* I factored in how many days the bottle will last based on how many pills you'd need to take each day to reach the dosages the article recommended.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    Yeah, I think his recommendations are excessive, but The Mood Cure limits (up to 300 mg of 5-HTP, for example) worked for me.

An interesting note: it was not until I supplemented both L-Tyrosine and 5-HTP for at least a month together that I suddenly felt that I didn't need them anymore. Originally (late 2011), I had been taking both, but not at a 10:1 ratio. After that, I just took 5-HTP because it seemed adequate.

I think it all comes down to gut health, which obviously correlates with diet. L-Glutamine is probably more important than I give it credit for. When I figure out what supplements I want this month/moving forward (taking my time with it for now), that will definitely be included. I don't think it has obvious or short term effects, but it is always included in guides for gut healing.
    The article I posted made it seem like the supplements would be a temporary thing to boost amino acids as a precursor to pending gut health by the proper diet - that once the gut is healed, the supplements would no longer be needed. Which is logical based on everything else we've read in the past.

I just didn't realize that by taking only 5-htp, I was causing dopamine issues. maybe that's why I didn't feel better taking 5-htp?

canio6 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jenn26point2 View Post
    I don't think it's invariably fatal - but I do believe it's modern life.
    Sorry, I was being flip - at the end of life we all die, hence it is invariably fatal.

The depression vs. diet argument is one that gets me into trouble so I will stay out of it. Either way, I wish you much good health.

theprimalcajun is offline Senior Member
    Sorry to butt in here...but wouldn't a good quality protein powder be easier? I could never take that many 'pills', I have a bad gag reflex after taking just a few. I bought one at Complete Nutrition that has aminos, glutamine(supposedly good for healing stomach issues) & lots of other good stuff in it. I think Mark sells a good protein powder that I imagine is 100% primal. My son who works out all the time is even using mine. Just a thought. I am certainly no expert, nor do I play one on TV! lol
    Goal: Don't worry be happy!

There are a lot of other things in protein powders. And I don't mind taking supplements. Every morning I swallow a handful of pills - vitamin C, B12, 3 fish oil capsules, 1 probiotic, stress B (b-complex for adrenal health). What's another handful? lol

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    The article I posted made it seem like the supplements would be a temporary thing to boost amino acids as a precursor to pending gut health by the proper diet - that once the gut is healed, the supplements would no longer be needed. Which is logical based on everything else we've read in the past.

I just didn't realize that by taking only 5-htp, I was causing dopamine issues. maybe that's why I didn't feel better taking 5-htp?
    Definitely temporary, but I think "temporary" can still be a while for some people, depending on your body's needs.

I wonder if Vitex also played a role for me. It boosts dopamine so it might have helped mitigate some of the issues with 5-HTP solo.

I should take a picture of all the supplement bottles I have. I set aside a corner in the pantry for my "active" bottles. This reminds me to look into a good quality B-complex, including B12.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

canio6 Guest
    What's another handful? lol
    Careful, soon you will run out of hands

Quote Originally Posted by canio6 View Post
    Careful, soon you will run out of hands
    I won't be doing this one any time soon. It'll cost $103 just to get the listed supplements to make a 30 days supply - but some bottles have more than 30 days worth of capsules, so it wouldn't be $103 each month - but that initial start up fee is a bit of a shock.

canio6 Guest
    I won't be doing this one any time soon. It'll cost $103 just to get the listed supplements to make a 30 days supply - but some bottles have more than 30 days worth of capsules, so it wouldn't be $103 each month - but that initial start up fee is a bit of a shock.
    good news...furlough is ending. You had that money taken out of the budget already so would you miss it if you put it towards your health?