Page 368 of 580 FirstFirst ... 268318358366367368369370378418468 ... LastLast
Results 3,671 to 3,680 of 5796

Thread: My Journey from Sugar Burner to Fat Burner - jenn26point2's Primal Journal page 368

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Most of the time, I don't feel deprived. And the reason I don't normally feel deprived is b/c I know those foods are not happy foods for my body - I don't miss chocolate chip cookies. I have a chocolate chip cookie made completely out of coconut to substitute. I don't miss pizza - b/c when I want pizza, I eat the toppings and ditch the crust... or I get a gluten free crust. I make substitutes so I don't feel deprived. Last weekend I felt deprived b/c there was literally NOTHING available that was Whole30... I had no substitute. And even when I do substitute with something that is not 100% primal or paleo friendly, oh well... it's not going to prevent me from every losing weight ever again... it's just going to slow me down for a short while.

Normally, I don't feel deprived... i felt comfortable and content with what I allow myself to eat. I don't want pain and digestive discomfort or to be fat any longer so those things no longer call to me on a regular basis... I think I finally broke up with those things cleanly - thank you Whole30.

BUT, if I allow myself to break rules (i.e. have wheat despite the discomfort) I have to start the fight all over again. If I start consuming a lot of sugar, I have to start all over again to get back to where I no longer want/crave it. I'm perfectly happy skipping the birthday cake, but there was a day, before Primal, where my mouth would have salivated until I ate some and then I'd have 3 pieces in one sitting. It's those times when I make the poor decisions that things become hard - fighting the cravings sucks. But I've now reached a point where I don't have oreos calling my name. I don't have hard liquors calling my name. I don't have pastries or breads or other gluten bombs calling my name anymore. Sugar still does occasionally, but it's easy for me to fight off if it's contaminated with gluten. I don't have a gluten allergy (clinically), but I know I feel discomfort when I eat it, so it's easy for me to pass something off b/c of gluten... it just takes time and committment and dedication to the decision to not eat those things for those things to finally stop calling to me and for things to become easy. I've done so many whole30's that it's almost effortless anymore... except in those instances where I break the rules and have to start over, or in those instances where my choices are to make the best choice possible or stay home (like Saturday night was).

I have my mind made up that I don't want those foods. And because I've committed to not wanting those foods, I don't tend to crave them. If there is one thing I will avoid like the plague, it's wheat... Sometimes I'll eat sugar, sometimes I'll eat corn meal, etc, but if I avoid wheat, I'm usually in the clear. Wheat is a trigger for me and I know this and have come to accept it and have committed to doing everything I can to avoid it. I think once you make that decision and flip that switch, it becomes easy. Until then, it's hard.

And it's when you make that decision and flip that switch that the weight falls off effortlessly. When I follow whole30 religiously, weight falls off in sheets. I know what I have to do and I do it so it works. When I don't do it (like this last week with the 3 off plan meals) my weight halts. I've been stuck at 177 for the last week (water weight from my lowest) b/c I keep making unallowed things in - crap on Thursday, crap on Saturday and crap on Sunday. I have learned that if I want it, truly deeply want it and COMMIT to it, allow for ZERO excuses and just DO WHAT I NEED TO DO, it works - effortlessly. None of the "I've follow W30 perfectly except for this one time..." b/c if there's that one time, it wasn't perfect... if I start to excuse those imperfections, things get off course quickly... Think of it like this... if I overspend by $100 a month, it's only $100 one time right... except that one time becomes 12 times and that $100 becomes $1200... same goes for the non-primal foods we put in our mouth... they add up over time. In some cases, it might not be a big deal, but when you're trying to lose weight and making a bunch of imperfections and the weight loss has stalled or is going in reverse, then those imperfections ARE a big deal and need to be eliminated.

Discipline and commitment are my most prized weight loss tools. Sometimes we have to do what we don't want to do in order to get what we want. And I think the people who have gotten to a point where they can write a success story have found that switch, flipped it and things are now effortless for them. It became second nature and when sometime comes naturally, it comes effortlessly.

And I think the reason the struggles are left out of the success stories is b/c no one wants to hear that it was hard... remember, most humans today want things to come easily to them - hence the huge propensity to use drugs for pain, surgery for weight loss, and lottery for earning millions. If there was a flood of success stories that said "OMG this was soooo hard" then no one would try it. We WANT people to try it. So we sell it.
    Last edited by jenn26point2; 07-02-2013 at 01:48 PM.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Wow... that post went all over the place... but it's something that's been weighing on my mind a lot recently - it was not directly aimed at you, Tomi. I assure you of that. On MFP I see people complain all the time about this very thing, so it's something I've been thinking about for a while and even posted on MFP about a week ago about this very thing. So, please don't be offended or feel attacked.

I think MIL will be making potato salad for Thursday's festivities. I'm thinking about making my own so I can enjoy some tater salad too... it won't be whole30 b/c of the potatoes, but at least it won't house any bad oils...

I've heard jicama can be used to substitute for potatoes. I wonder what that would be like. Maybe I'll just stick with what I know and use white potatoes.

*Throw another* Shrimp on the bar-bay for dinner tonight. Yum!

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    I agree wholeheartedly with your post. I'm just not there yet. Food is too much of an emotional pain killer for me.

I agree that w30 is the answer.

I will soon be taking a course in increasing willpower which I hope will help me come out on the other side of this once and for all.

Hot office guy - aka Trouble Making Captain - lost his scholarship. He will not be spending 3 years in Uraguay. He called the administrators to tell them what has happened b/c he has integrity and didn't want to lie to them or hide it or whatever - plus with no hope of promotion, he won't be retained by the army for the time period he has to commit upon completion of the program. I think he was required to commit 9 years to the Army following completion of his master's degree and because he'd be "due" for his next promotion before that 9 years is up and he can't get promoted b/c of the permanent status of his letter of reprimand, it was senseless for him to even go knowing he couldn't fulfill his end of the deal. So, they called him a few days ago and recinded his scholarship. He will now be working upstairs in another directorate. I'm gonna miss him. He'll still be around and his girlfriend works on this floor, so we'll probably still see him occasionally, but I don't know how long it'll be before they move him to another post to continue his career until they boot him. And I think once he's promoted to major and holds that for the predetermined length of time, he'll just get out. I don't think he has any chance of reaching retirement given the length of time he can serve as a major before he becomes non-retained due to failure to progress. In the army, you can't get comfy and just hold a certain rank until you die... you have to keep moving up or they boot you out.

So, bummed for him. The army screwed itself over on this one. They had an amazing officer who would have done great things for the organization, but they tossed him out... oh well. Their loss.

Now... about me... yes, I know, it's always about me. What can I say... it's my effing journal! lol

Weight is still the same... *sigh*

Getting mentally charged to go out for a 4 miler here soon. I would ideally like to run across government bridge, but the bike trail on the other side is flooded, so unless I wanna turn this run into a biathalon, that won't work, and I don't really want to run through downtown Davenport. Nor do I want to run through downtown Rock Island... but, there is a bike trail that runs along the river in Rock Island atop a levee that is not flooded, so maybe I'll go that way.

Foot is feeling very well today. I'm impressed by the Princess of Pain every time I see her.

TMI: Whole30 is working - gut clean out - right on schedule. I have found that since moving to Primal, I don't have daily gut movement like "they" say you're supposed to. I usually have one or two really good clean outs a week, and that's fine by me. /TMI

Well, it's 12:30 and we're off at 3:31 thanks to the CG's ability to give the civilians a whole 59 minutes off of work... so I better get moving or I'll lose my window.

TTFN

While my foot started to bother me toward the very end of my run and is bothering me now, that run was awesome! Strong, fast, light! I wish all training runs were that good!

I finished 4 miles in exactly 42 minutes according to the Garmin. Not sure how I managed to come in at EXACTLY 42 minutes and zero seconds, but I did. That's a 10:30 per mile pace, or 5.7 mph.

But now my foot is screaming! Right behind the second toe. The next two days will be rather relaxed and I can be barefoot/off my feet most the day. Hopefully that'll allow for enough time for the inflammation to go down and things to simmer before I head out for 5 miles on Saturday. My first "long" run of the training program.

tomi is offline Senior Member
    as for the TMI mentioned above........... I also have only 2-3 gut emptiers per week when I stay strictly paleo/zero carb. I like it that way after going 6 years with an average of 5 per morning.

sorry the hear the outcome for the hot guy. I think they are wrong in what they did - but obviously my opinion wasn't factored in to their decision. :/ go figure.

good job on the run! You're blazing!
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

Weight goals:
    Highest weight: 216
    Current weight: 189 (7-16-14)
    Goal weight: 140

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    Ugh poor hot guy.