Page 367 of 593 FirstFirst ... 267317357365366367368369377417467 ... LastLast
Results 3,661 to 3,670 of 5927

Thread: My Journey from Sugar Burner to Fat Burner - jenn26point2's Primal Journal page 367

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    So, Thursday I went out for dinner to farewell my boss. It was a buffet type dinner. I believe I talked about it. Anyway, the food was anything BUT whole30, but for $25 a person, I wasn't going to settle for just plain chicken, so I ate what was offered. I think that opened the door to my newest feelings of being victimized by the Whole30 plan. Let me explain:

Saturday, the races were cancelled so everyone decided to go out to eat. I tried to suggest a full service buffet (Golden Corral is a full service buffet with just about any food a person could ask for) when they brought up the desire for pizza. No one wanted to go to Davenport (25 miles), so everyone, except me, agreed to go to Pizza Ranch, which is a medium quality pizza buffet that has a salad bar and fried chicken in addition to pizza. Since SIL is also doing Whole30 this time around, I asked her what she planned to do. She said she was just going to pick the breading off the chicken - which turned out to be a gigantic pain in the ass and I'm sure I still consumed some unwanted gluten. So, while everyone else was eating pizza and I would have done just about anything to eat the toppings (and enjoy some dessert pizza - gluten bomb! sugar bomb!), I stuck with salad and fried chicken. I wasn't a very happy camper, but I made it work.

Then yesterday, Brad made pancakes for the kids... I really wanted pancakes. But not the gluten infested ones he made... I wanted either coconut flour pancakes or cream cheese pancakes... of course, both are off limits for varying reasons - all b/c they don't fit the Whole30 framework. No paleo-fying, no sweeteners, etc. Bah!

So I didn't eat breakfast yesterday and all day long I felt munchy and bored. I ate a lot of fruit - grapes, watermelon (probably half of a freaking watermelon made it into my tummy yesterday), nuts... I finally felt satisfied once dinner came around: non-compliant bratwurst (I still have yet to find a brat that does not contain any crap in it), non-compliant sauerkraut (has preservatives... why? isn't the purpose of pickling to preserve?? why does it need additional preservatives??), and a non-compliant wedge salad (wedge of iceberg lettuce) with (gasp) Hidden Valley Ranch dressing, and a whole tomato.

All weekend long I felt like I was being victimized b/c I was Whole30... It was really annoying. And I almost said screw it and let it all go to eat what I wanted - pizza toppings, paleo pancakes, homemade, primal compliant ranch dressing - but I didn't... instead, I sulked over the crappy fried chicken and ate non-compliant ranch dressing. Hidden Valley Ranch dressing is still amazing, by the way.

Today, I decided to stop being a victim and just go with it. When I let it work, it worked. I lost weight. I felt better. I slept better. I thought better. And I wasn't stuffy or phlegmy.

That being said, there seems to be a new craze going around called Diet Bet. You join with a group of friends, do your own thing to lose weight and bet a certain amount of money that you can lose a certain amount of weight by a certain time. There is one my friend is hosting for $25, lose 4% of your body weight (for me that would be 7 lbs in 28 days) and split the pot. 4% of my body weight is 7 lbs... 7 lbs in 3 weeks is 2.33 pounds per week. At my current rate, I'd lose my money... but at the rate I WAS moving when the Whole30 kicked in, I'd win my money back... I am considering doing this, but will probably wait until next month... holy shit! I can't believe next month is August already! Where has the year gone!
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Speaking of financial stress (re: my comment on Geostump's journal)... just balanced the checkbook... Ultimate suck... playing catch-up. I hate that. And worst part, Brad spent money today - money we didn't have, that I didn't realize we didn't have until today, and I still have to put gas in my car... *sigh*

geostump is offline Senior Member
    Since going primal, I've gone from a size 8-9 wide width in shoes to an 8-9 narrow width depending in the manufacturer.

Right now, we'd be financially hurting if Clint didnt have the side work he's getting. He had his interview with Auto Zone last Friday and he's waiting to hear back if he gets it. I really wish he weren't against me working part time, but he is.
    Georgette

PrimalLaurie is offline Member
    Jen:

Sorry about this weekend. I always feel the same way around my in laws. It seems like they go out of their way to eat non-food items. Seriously, DH and I were talking and I don't think I have EVER seen my 13 yo niece eat something I would consider actual food! This is the same child who had fainting spells in school this spring and was diagnosed as severely hypoglycemic. The answer - rather than poptarts for breakfast she now has a McDonalds sausage biscuit. Every morning. With diet Coke.

I find it very easy to take it personally - but really they are all just addicted to junk. Way to do what you can - it is all you can do! (This is also why some of the Friday Success Stories drive me crazy when they are basically 100% primal - do those people give in and still have great success - or do they someone have all supportive family and friends? Are they just jerks about what they eat?)

Sorry about the $$ troubles - it isn't fun, but know that if you stick with it it does get better!
    Laurie

GAPS/Primal - Working on Getting Healthy!

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread88988.html

tomi is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimalLaurie View Post
    Jen:

Sorry about this weekend. I always feel the same way around my in laws. (This is also why some of the Friday Success Stories drive me crazy when they are basically 100% primal - do those people give in and still have great success - or do they someone have all supportive family and friends? Are they just jerks about what they eat?)
    I can totally relate. Thankfully I haven't had too many gatherings where I've had nothing proper to eat. The key there is "not to many gatherings". My family never gets together unless I have people to my house - and hubbys family gatherings are always surrounded by India food. And I have the SAME issues with the Friday success stories. Can they please post one that talks about how freakin' hard it is to not stray off into chocolate chip cookie land? It seems like all the stories have the same theme (or at least all the ones that I remember) and that theme is always something like this: I can't believe how EASY the weight came off!! I lost 50 pounds in 6 months and I never felt hungry or deprived! ............... WHO ARE THESE PEOPLE???? I'm sorry - but they are obviously the exception - NOT the norm. I want to see a story about a middle aged woman fighting health issues, with a non-primal spouse ----- and I want to hear about all the ups and downs and struggles she went through to get to her perfect place of health and wellness.

This isn't a weight loss plan......... its a health plan. However --- even Mark has said eating whole food in the proper quantities will naturally result in the body finding its healthy set point. Maybe to key here is to be 95-100% PURE PRIMAL/PALEO. I have not been that pure. Maybe that's the difference between my story and those in the Friday Success column. But they still don't talk about how difficult it is to stay the course. When I get there - and I submit my success story - I'm going to be truthful about the struggles!

Okay - rant over.
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

I'm doing this because I'm worth it - because I'm worthy - because I love myself.

Goals: Healthy mind, healthy body, happy soul.

marcadav is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tomi View Post
    I can totally relate. Thankfully I haven't had too many gatherings where I've had nothing proper to eat. The key there is "not to many gatherings". My family never gets together unless I have people to my house - and hubbys family gatherings are always surrounded by India food. And I have the SAME issues with the Friday success stories. Can they please post one that talks about how freakin' hard it is to not stray off into chocolate chip cookie land? It seems like all the stories have the same theme (or at least all the ones that I remember) and that theme is always something like this: I can't believe how EASY the weight came off!! I lost 50 pounds in 6 months and I never felt hungry or deprived! ............... WHO ARE THESE PEOPLE???? I'm sorry - but they are obviously the exception - NOT the norm. I want to see a story about a middle aged woman fighting health issues, with a non-primal spouse ----- and I want to hear about all the ups and downs and struggles she went through to get to her perfect place of health and wellness.

This isn't a weight loss plan......... its a health plan. However --- even Mark has said eating whole food in the proper quantities will naturally result in the body finding its healthy set point. Maybe to key here is to be 95-100% PURE PRIMAL/PALEO. I have not been that pure. Maybe that's the difference between my story and those in the Friday Success column. But they still don't talk about how difficult it is to stay the course. When I get there - and I submit my success story - I'm going to be truthful about the struggles!

Okay - rant over.
    While I don't have a non-primal spouse, I do live in the same city as my large non-primal family that loves food. I am definitely a middle aged women with health issues. I have had my struggles, ups and downs. However, overall, I believe I have been successful- I'm healthy and in the normal range weight-wise for my height.

I am not 95-100% pure. I eat things that are definitely not primal-- occasional pizza, ice cream, diet pepsi, wine to name a few things. I do try to plan my off-plan choices. I also like to tie them to meeting goals I set for myself.

Quote Originally Posted by marcadav View Post
    While I don't have a non-primal spouse, I do live in the same city as my large non-primal family that loves food. I am definitely a middle aged women with health issues. I have had my struggles, ups and downs. However, overall, I believe I have been successful- I'm healthy and in the normal range weight-wise for my height.

I am not 95-100% pure. I eat things that are definitely not primal-- occasional pizza, ice cream, diet pepsi, wine to name a few things. I do try to plan my off-plan choices. I also like to tie them to meeting goals I set for myself.
    How come you haven't submitted a success story??? I'd love to read it! and pics are always nice too!
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

I'm doing this because I'm worth it - because I'm worthy - because I love myself.

marcadav is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tomi View Post
    How come you haven't submitted a success story??? I'd love to read it! and pics are always nice too!
    Two possible reasons:
    1. I'm kinda private and because of past experiences not wild of putting too much online. I also hate having my picture taken.
    2. Just when I start considering it, I hit one of those bumps, usually thyroid related, and lose ground.

But if you'd like to get together I would tell you my story and might even provide pictures.Maybe you could convince me.

Maybe we can work something out.................

Okay, maybe we should let Jenn have her journal back now...........
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Saw the Princess of Pain today for my foot. Yowser! She ran me through the ringer! I can tell half marathon training is underway! I haven't experienced appointments like that in soooo long. I really need to get in the habit of using my foam roller so she doesn't have to inflict so much pain... but, despite the pain she inflicted, my foot does feel better already.

Whole30 day 8... kind of. More like Day 1. With the two dinners out and the non-compliant salad on Sunday, I'm tempted to start over, but I guess it doesn't really matter when I plan to make this my regular lifestyle, just not religiously - there will be times when I stray.

I noticed this morning that I felt very good emotionally and mentally. I haven't taken the 5-htp for the last two nights. I almost wonder if I was taking too much and having that "too much serotonin" issue. I will continue without it and see how things work.

Work has been rather busy the last few days. Not swamped and not overloaded, but busy... I've had a steady stream of things to do. I like that.

well, duty calls again... ttfn