Page 363 of 579 FirstFirst ... 263313353361362363364365373413463 ... LastLast
Results 3,621 to 3,630 of 5785

Thread: My Journey from Sugar Burner to Fat Burner - jenn26point2's Primal Journal page 363

geostump is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Caitlyn is 14 and Tristan is 12. I started mowing when I was 11 I believe. I would do it myself, but I can't. The smell of freshly mowed grass is an allergen and asthma trigger for me. This is why Clint has always done it.
    Georgette

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    I would think your girls are more than old enough and responsible enough to mow the grass.

3.75 miles today in 39:26. That's 10:29 seconds per mile. It would appear that lightning is an effective pace training tool... I ran fast and hard to avoid getting struck by lightning. I was just past the 2 mile mark (read: 2 miles from my office) when the lightning started. I was within a half mile when the downpour started. I like running in the rain - I really do. It's refreshing and cooling... but, I dislike running in downpours b/c then sweat runs into my eyes and I HATE it when my shoes get wet - even my vibrams, b/c then they take on a musty smell. Guess I'll be washing them tonight so they're dry and not smelly for tomorrow's lifting session.

Otherwise, super awesome run. I felt strong and my calf behaved. No talking from the calf at all. My foot barely hurt, but again, it barely hurts when running - just while walking (wtf??? I don't understand that at all!). I felt strong and able. And I was enjoying it.

Mile 1 pace: 10:34
    Mile 2 pace: 10:37
    Mile 3 pace: 10:49
    Mile 4 pace: 9:47 (for .76 miles)

Interesting... I thought I would have had negative splits (meaning each consecutive mile was faster than the last) given the lightning, but apparently not.

Anyhow, great run.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

geostump is offline Senior Member
    The only kid I wouldn't let mow is Heather. She is just about as tall as our mower. Still not even 5 feet tall at age 11.5
    Georgette

Pics of a wall cloud as it blew by my office window. Showed Boss #2 the pics after she returned from a meeting and she's like "Thanks for coming to make sure I'm safe!" And we responded with "You were where WE should have been." and then she chewed us for not going to the storm shelters... "Instead you were taking pictures!" lol This cloud moved by our window in a matter of about 1 minute. Very fast moving.

cloud3.jpg
    cloud2.jpg
    cloud1.jpg

Now we're under another tornado warning... 2 tornado warnings in an hour... awesome. lol

I love weather phenomenon!

PrimalLaurie is offline Member
    Hi Jenn:

Read lots of your journal while I could not sleep last night. You are really amazing. I can't believe the amount of stuff you get done and still have time to exercise!

I have to say congratulation on the Masters! My mouth was dropping when I read that people were not going to your hooding ceremony. I worked in academia for a long time (have an MS myself) and my husband is a professor, so it never occurred to me that they might not understand what a hooding ceremony was!

You really remind me of myself with the budgeting spreadsheets and the stress over money (and we have plenty to cover our needs!). I guess I just like to stress about it. Have you ever looking into Dave Ramsey courses? My husband and I took his class and it was the best thing we ever did. Not because we didn't know how to budget (we didn't take the class until we were debt free except for the house), but because it forces conversations that prompt you to get on the same page. We had already managed to pay off all our student loans, both cars and all the credit cards after getting married (more thant $100k!), but I was amazed at the things I assumed we were on the same page about that we weren't. It also helped hubby see how saving would help us down the line and explained why living paycheck to paycheck was such a source of stress for me.

Sorry to give advice in the first post ever on your journal - it just helped us so much that I always recommend it to others who are having issues in that regard! Best "marriage counseling" ever

Loved seeing your before and afters. You look fantastic.
    Laurie

GAPS/Primal - Working on Getting Healthy!

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread88988.html

Thanks, Laurie! On all counts.

I have not taken a Dave Ramsey class, but I have read his book (Financial Peace University and The Total Money Makeover) and have read some of his stuff online, as well as listened to a few of his shows. I DO think we need to take his class and I want to. Our credit union arranges with the local community college to host classes about once a year for a few weeks. I can't remember if they sponsor it or not. Every time I see they're offering classes again, I want so badly to sign up, but something always holds me back - at the time it was Brad's work schedule - he worked swing shift. In fact, I'm pretty sure the credit union doesn't pay for it 100% since cost also always held me back. I know the cost of the classes is minute in the grand scheme of things, but when you don't have it, you don't have it, no matter how great an investment it might be.

Brad was upset/frustrated the other day b/c I said that once everything is paid off, we'll not be taking another loan (he mentioned getting a new truck when things are paid off). He couldn't see how we could possibly get a vehicle without a loan. I told him that you're supposed to save up for it - and he's like "ok, so it'll take us 30 years to get a new(er) truck"... he failed to realize that if we're not shelling out $3,000 in bills each month, we'll have $3,000 a month to set aside... 1 year of that and we'd have enough money (plus interest) to buy a $36,000 truck!

We definitely need to take a class b/c he won't read the books, so I think a classroom setting would be best for him. I have considered the online courses too, since at the time he was working swing shift but now he's not... in any event, we could probably watch the classes together after the kids go to bed if we do the online program. It's definitely something to look at again. Thanks for the reminder!

tomi is offline Senior Member
    how goes the whole30 restart?
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

Weight goals:
    Highest weight: 216
    Current weight: 189 (7-16-14)
    Goal weight: 140

Been rather busy today. Boss #1 is back today so there are fires to put out to get him back on board and caught up. Plus it's furlough letter day, so there's that to take care of, and just, in general, more stuff going on. It's kind of weird, actually. I'm working and it's nice. lol

Last week I watched a video by Chris Cressey on how to do a proper deadlift and learned that my deadlifts were more of a squat and less of a deadlift, so today I was more mindful of my form and technique... Um, yeah... I've obviously been doing them incorrectly for quite a while b/c my usual weights were harder and my max (170 this week!!!! 5 lbs shy of my body weight!) was nearly impossible. I could do one, rest, one more, rest, one more, rest, up to 5. There was no rapid fire deadlifting today. In fact, I may possibly have overdone it. We will see tomorrow. My back muscles are fatigued right now, so I suspect my back will be sore later - muscles, not spine. And the run back to the office was uninspiring b/c my legs were crapping out on me after that lifting session - another sign that I actually did them right.

Weight is down to 178 today... *sigh* still hanging around, but slowly moving down. Today is Day 2 of the newest Whole30 attempt. My belly already looks noticably flatter.

Tomorrow is a 3.5 mile run day. My foot is bothering me today. I hope it relaxes before tomorrow or that run is likely going to suck. It was hurting a bit during my 1/2 mile runs, which has me concerned for the 3.5 miler.

I guess a tornado actually touched down in Muscatine, about 10 miles south of our house. Miracle Car Wash has surveillance cameras that caught it on tape. It looked like an oversized dust devil - very unorganized and not tightly wound like the tornados I'm used to seeing footage of. Here's video of it. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151497290526732

I guess now the powers that be are saying it's not a tornado... and I can't find any articles to confirm or deny... but I do know one person died. His cousin is a friend on Facebook and said he died of injuries. Sad day.

PrimalLaurie is offline Member
    We saved more than triple the cost of the class the first month and everyone in the class at least saved enough to pay for the course - just amazing what a motivational speaker can do to light a fire under you even if they are presenting information that you know. (Like you I had already read the books!)

One of the best parts of taking the class in person is that there is positive peer pressure to do the homework and have the discussions you're supposed to. I know my hubby (who doesn't read books on finance) would never have done the hw had we had the online class and he would not have taken it as seriously. It was also great to have someone besides me pointing out that putting a $200 a month hobby on hold (or ditching it) could make a huge difference in our lives.

And you can definitely pay cash for cars - we haven't had a car payment to someone else in years though I autosave $500 a month as if we did have one. When we had payments we always bought new ... but writing that big check all at once changed our minds about that Now we buy 3 yo cars coming of leases ... and we've taken a 21 day (budget) trip to Italy from $$ out of the car savings we ended up not needing b/c we drive the cars until they start having major repair issues. We just bought a 2010 Honda Pilot last weekend for cash - it still hurts when I look at our savings account My last car had 200K miles on it though, so it was way overdue.

Good luck - I know how stressful being the budget person is. I still stress even though we are on solid footing now.
    Laurie

GAPS/Primal - Working on Getting Healthy!

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread88988.html

I am the Nerd and he is the Free Spirit for sure. Paying cash for a car would be awesome! A friend of mine who took Dave's classes tried to buy a car for cash two weeks ago and the dealerships wouldn't accept it. I wonder if they would have accepted a check? In any event, they traded their near new (but paid off) Mustang straight up for a near new Dodge Durango, with no cash out of pocket. That would NEVER work if they still owed anything on their Mustang - they even traded up for a newer year than their Mustang! Most of the dealerships around here will take a check, so that is what I plan to do when we reach that point.

My current car is a 2006 and has 173,000 miles on it. It still runs great but needs some minor repairs - there's a bushing in the steering/suspension that needs replaced but Brad is going to doctor it so we can "lube" it regularly and it should be ok from there, and it burns a bit of oil, but as long as I check it every couple of weeks or so and add what is needed, it's in great running order.

I'm working on a debt snowball right now. Credit cards first, then tangible item loans (truck, etc). I'll have one credit card paid off in November... but I'm going to need a new car very soon, and am looking at 2010 models, but we can't pay cash for it. It'll slow our debt snowball down and I know Dave would not approve... I could and might hold out longer than November before buying a car. We'll see how this one holds up. The idea that it's nearing 200k miles makes me nervous. We're still overpaying on our income taxes b/c we had a business and that affected what we needed to pay, etc, and without knowing what a true tax year without a business looks like, we don't know what to set our taxes at. We usually get a pretty decent tax refund and will use that to pay down more so we can get closer to our goals. If I don't buy a new(er) car until we reach our debt free (less mortgage and student loans), it'll be 4 years before I can get something better... I really don't think my 173,000 mile car is going to last another 4 years. lol And around here, you really can't buy anything decent for less than $8k. Too many doctor's colleges and high costs of living around us to make it possible.