Page 356 of 577 FirstFirst ... 256306346354355356357358366406456 ... LastLast
Results 3,551 to 3,560 of 5761

Thread: My Journey from Sugar Burner to Fat Burner - jenn26point2's Primal Journal page 356

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    Shop Now
    Would it be too difficult to start him off with a Primal30 or do you suspect that excluding dairy would be largely beneficial to him as well?
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    You know, Primal30 might be a good start. I do think that getting him off dairy would be beneficial as well, but I don't know what the benefits would be. His sister is lactose intolerant, so I wonder if he could be as well. He doesn't have any acne or eczema and doesn't seem phlegmy, so if he's got any intolerances to dairy, it will likely be digestively. I get phlegmy and break out when I consume too much dairy.

Speaking of which, I will be sticking, for the most part, with the whole30 rules and allow for some dairy maybe once a week or so. There are some recipes that our family loves but they contain parmesan cheese and cream. We're not willing to give them up permanently, so maybe one a week would be ok.

Not planning to do a 21 day sugar detox at this point. I think the extra 18 days on the whole30 helped me ward off the sugar addiction. I haven't dove face first into sugar. Normally I would have already made a ton of different sugar containing snacks and devoured them. I'm quite surprised. I did have some of mom's refrigerator pickles though (cucumbers, onion, vinegar, water, sugar). They were good. I will have to see if I can make some with honey instead of refined sugar.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

tomi is offline Senior Member
    How exciting that Brad is so close to making the transition! Its really HUGE for a person to see how eating something like pizza makes them feel really lousy! As for the whole30 or primal30? I think easing him into this new way of eating would be the better then throwing him straight into a whole30. You must be so excited that he's even suggesting doing this!!! I wish my hubby would follow my lead.

I'm on day 21 of my whole30. Cheats have been very minor and I'm not sweating them at all. I'm down 9 pounds - hit 178 this morning!

I'm sure those 3 pounds will fall off as quickly as they came! Tomorrow or Wednesday you'll be back to 175.
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

Tomi, I think easing him in would be better too... Maybe getting him completely primal first would be best. He has a lot of bad habits - nightly ice cream, daily pepsi consumption, candy, etc. Finding an appropriate sugar substitute for him will be most important - I personally love fruit and hope he'll become more interested as time goes by. Eat Like a Dinosaur has a caramel recipe that I might use as he likes apples with caramel. I believe the caramel is made with maple syrup instead of refined sugars. It also has some chocolate covered nuts recipes, and I'm sure I could substitute raisins for the nuts (raisinettes are one of his favorite treats).

Then once he's comfortable with primal, and hopefully steadily losing weight and feeling better, we can ease into the whole30. I agree with you and Tasha both - whole30 will probably be too overwhelming for him right now.

Time to run... not really looking forward to it. It's 84 degrees out there. Oy! I forgot my fuel belt, so I'll have to carry a bottle of water with me - I hate carrying stuff while I run. I really need to remember to put that danged belt in my bag!

Anyhow, off I go - 3.5 miles on the plan for today.

Hah, well, I suggested the Primal30 because I thought it'd be less stressful for YOU to help him out . There would definitely need to be guidelines and limits set for the allowed treats, but I don't see any harm in making substitutions for him, like you suggested. It just might be rough dealing with him whining (if he does that) =\

Run, Jenn, run!

tomi is offline Senior Member
    Yes - easier for both of you. And if he's a big sugar addict - easing him off the sugar will be better than going cold turkey! That can do terrible things to your body - totally shocks the system going cold turkey. Get him to cut the soda and drink water. Baby steps is sometimes the best plan of action.
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    I agree with the easing in. Especially as the yucky 'detox' feeling might be enough to make him say 'forget this'.

Raisinettes! Yum! Did you know they have 'dark' chocolate ones? I try to convince myself that they're almost primal.

Quote Originally Posted by Sabine View Post
    Raisinettes! Yum! Did you know they have 'dark' chocolate ones? I try to convince myself that they're almost primal.
    Completely logical. I would do the same.

HOLY INFLAMMATION!! I am not a happy camper right now. My right foot and left calf both hurt. Calf feels like the aftermath of cramps (but there were no cramps) and the foot is stiff and then aches when I walk. Almost like it needs to be adjusted. I'll wait it out and see how it feels on Thursday. If it's still bothering me, maybe I'll go see Dr. Lake, the Princess of Pain, and see if she can fix it. I bet it's directly related to the inflammation from eating BWW on Saturday. Scale is still up 2 lbs as well.

I realized this morning that I kind of miss whole30. We had Chicken Scampi for dinner last night and it was delicious, but I noticed afterward that I cleared my throat more than I had in the weeks prior. I'll be keeping an eye out for acne and eczema. If either of those make an appearance, I'll probably ditch dairy for the most part. I really don't want my skin to break out again. After 48 days, I'd gotten rather used to going without cheese and cream.

It's interesting to me how we miss particular foods until we see how they affect us. When I first gave up grains, I missed them terribly and would occasionally cheat and eat them - then the bad things would happen - inflammation, bloating, digestive distress, etc. So I learned that they are bad for me and learned to live without them and not miss them. Then I went dairy free and yearned for cheese and cream. Then I learned that they cause acne and eczema, but continued to consume them. But now, after 48 days dairy free, I learned to adapt and move on without them, and now I'm so happy being acne and eczema free that I'm willing to stay away from dairy... it's odd to me b/c dairy is a major part of my life... or was. I remember around day 20 I sent a text to SIL telling her I could really go for some cheese... and that the first thing I was going to eat when I gave up my Whole30 was cheese... and now I have little to not interest in it. I thought about having some last night but talked myself out of it somehow using the fact that I didn't really want it... It's so interesting how things change so quickly.

Wow... I am sleepy today! Like so sleepy that every time I yawn, I yawn SO HARD and my eyes water... oy! Guess I didn't sleep so well last night.

I hope the inflammation passes soon. I wonder if magnesium would help, since it's good for cramping muscles.

I have to say, I'm VERY impressed with how well you've been doing with this WholeWhatever. You have been sticking to it at basically 99.9999% compliance, which is impressive enough in and of itself, but you are going well beyond 30 days at this point (a month and a half now). You are losing weight again. You seem pretty happy too. I feel a little proud, even though I had nothing to do with it! You are doing amazing work, Jenn!