Page 353 of 585 FirstFirst ... 253303343351352353354355363403453 ... LastLast
Results 3,521 to 3,530 of 5844

Thread: My Journey from Sugar Burner to Fat Burner - jenn26point2's Primal Journal page 353

tomi is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    This is really hard for families, especially when it was so unexpected and sudden. I hope everything can be worked out and everyone is agreement and happy with the outcome - especially Brad's Grandmother. Losing a spouse and then having to move too - boy, big changes and major stressors for her. Your family is in my thoughts and prayers.

As for the whole30/primal .............. just do what you have to as long as your taking care of yourself in the process.
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

I'm doing this because I'm worth it - because I'm worthy - because I love myself.

Goals: Healthy mind, healthy body, happy soul.

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the well wishes. I came back to work today b/c I didn't know how bereavement leave worked. I didn't know if I could use sick leave or if I had to take vacation, so I came in to save my vacation. Turns out, it's sick leave that's used. Grandpa's services are on Friday afternoon, so I'll be taking Friday off for three total days off of work. I'm very glad we can use sick instead of being forced to use annual leave. Now we can still plan on taking the kids camping in July.

Weight is up 1 lb today. I think it's b/c we had marinated chicken last night. I learned that there's a tiny bit of soybean oil in the marinade they used (to prevent caking it says) and the sodium content is likely high on the marinade too. Chicken was ok. I had tomato basil chicken and Brad had mesquite. I'll be eatin a mesquite one today b/c the grill is evil and burned my other tomato basil chicken breast. Stupid grill - burns one piece of meat EVERY. TIME. And when I think I have it figured out which area burns, and I don't put meat there, a different area burns the meat... so annoying.

Brad is at Grandma's right now with Makenna. Hopefully she's helping to cheer Grandma up. I wish I was there.

Supposed to be getting some big storms today. I asked Brad to ensure he's picked Brady up from the Latchkey before they strike as there are supposed to be tornados with these storms and I don't want my wee man getting crushed under a cinderblock wall like those poor kids in Oklahoma. The building he's in is old old old and made of cinder blocks and has no basement, much like the school in OK, so at home is where I'd prefer him to be... under the table in the southwest corner of the basement. Most of our tornadoes (ok all of them) have come from the southwest, so my thinking is that if one hits, the house and other debris will blow from southwest to northeast, hopefully minimizing the amount of crap that falls on that table, preventing my kiddos from being injured. Sorry. I'm neurotic. You should have seen me when I was pregnant. My doctor laughed at me for being so neurotic, but humored me with every requested blood test, etc, b/c she is the same way. It's just how I work. Under the stairs is supposedly the best place to hide, but our stairs are "incomplete" and not the best place to hide, plus the underside is exposed/would be exposed to flying debris/glass. They're a cheap, temporary set of stairs we built when we put in the house - they will be done differently when the basement is finished. At some point, when we put on the porch out front, we'll have a storm cellar/room built under the porch (like my mom has) but for now, the southeast corner is best.

Sorry... thinking out loud.

Back to work... gotta get this DAU course done. Received an email that I only have 15 days left to complete it and I'm only about 2/3 of the way through.

*man, I feel munchy today...
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    If you have a basement bathroom or washroom, have him in there. The pipes in the walls strengthen their wind resistance. In a tub with something over him is even better. If you don't have that, your best bet is another small enclosed space, like a closet, with something over him to shield him from debris. Most deaths from tornado are from debris lacerations.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

We don't have a basement washroom and our pipes are all interior, not in walls. Our basement is just 4 concrete walls - a big rectangle with a house on top. Two egress/escape well windows to the east and two little regular basement windows to the west.

I caught the half marathon bug by signing up for the St. Jude Half in December. As a result, I have signed up for two additional races. Both in September, and I'm considering one for October. I'll be able to completely train for the first two on Furlough Fridays. Maintenance (8 mile long run each week) will have to occur on Saturdays for the race in December, which mileage ramping up again in November to reach the peak.

Strength training will have to be cut down to 2x per week... until the long runs occur on Saturday, then 3x per week. Going to have to research whether or not to continue increasing the weight I lift, or if I should level off. Gonna ask RelayGirl about it. She's a half marathoner here.

Training starts today with a 3.5 mile run.

canio6 is online now Senior Member
    Good luck with your training! I hope all goes well.
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

What the F&#* is a decorum? - Mr. Anthony

the primal princess is offline Junior Member
    Oh my gosh, your journal is funny. And I can relate to sugar addiction part. I found myself going bananas, on ..bananas.. Most people scoff, but in all honesty it's a slippery slope for me. Bananas are a pretty high source of sugar so I have to limit myself. I've found almond butter to be a truly respectable replacement for PB. It did take me a week or two to make the transition and the kiddos still run and scream like I'm feeding them the dog, so progress not perfection, right? Good luck + LOVE the avatar.

YAY! A new reader. Glad you're enjoying my journal. There are places here that are less than admirable, but for the most part I try to keep it light hearted. I have some family drama on occasion that takes over occasionally (like the MIL/drug issue) and hubby being a complete putz about housework, and money stress, but that stuff comes and goes. This is just me - chatting with friends, ranting and raving occasionally. Glad you enjoy.

I sent a message to relaygirl to ask my ST questions in relation to half marathon training. I'm so excited to be training for long distances again. Of course, I had planned on waiting until next year to get back into training and really ramp up the running, but I think it'll be ok to do so now. I have a good strong muscular base now thanks to the 5/3/1 training, and I plan to continue it - but in a more compressed fashion. It's entirely possible that I'll have to find a way to ST on a 3rd day through the week, in which case I might see if the local gym will do a weekend membership for me - like $20 to pop in 4x a month or something - on Saturdays or Sundays or maybe even Friday's before/after my long run. We'll see how it all works out. I could also just find a full body strength plan - my running coach for my first half sent me one that I could use. Need to look at it and see what it entails.

Could also stop doing the 5/3/1 and transition to a more typical 3 sets x 10 reps kind of workout too so I can consolidate body parts - do bench press and deadlifts on the same day and overhead press and squats on the same day or something... or instead of progressing upward with ever set, I can just lift at my maxes or something. Lots of things to work out. But, this week is screwy b/c of Grandpa's death and the services scheduled for Friday, so I'll worry about lifting next week.

With that, I'm going to escape my desk and go knock out my 3.5 miles. It's already 84 degrees out there so this is going to be a HOT one!

We all have our rants and raves......... its why we have journals - so we can hash things out here - with cyber friends who can help us see things from a different angle. Its a safe place to lay it all there and not be judged. And if someone does judge - you can always block them! Not so in the real world.
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

I'm doing this because I'm worth it - because I'm worthy - because I love myself.

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Honestly, in a house like that, a first floor bathroom or washroom, in the tub, with a mattress or heavy quilt on top of him would likely be safer than the basement. More open space means more room for flying debris. The suction effect is a myth, however, if he is in the basement, teach him the drop and cover method. Under a table could cause more, rather than fewer, issues. The idea of the staircase, even unfinished, is to create a plane of triangulation, so that if things collapse, he's effectively under a truss. The triangle is the strongest shape, and being under one allows a hidey safe space to protect against collapse. So long as you have the risers and runner, the stair case would protect him. Since it doesn't have the covering yet, have him assume drop and cover position with a heavy blanket tucked over him.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

I'm so glad I live in a reasonably tornado free part of the country You all have my sympathies.
    Read post #2626
    my motivation