Page 344 of 553 FirstFirst ... 244294334342343344345346354394444 ... LastLast
Results 3,431 to 3,440 of 5526

Thread: My Journey from Sugar Burner to Fat Burner - jenn26point2's Primal Journal page 344

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Everyone has an agenda... It's just driving me to want to budget for local meats and to grow a larger garden next year (to include potatoes and other stuff I'm not growing now) to avoid anything that is mass produced. I find the practices in the food industry to be unscrupulous and wish I could 'stick it to the man', so to speak. I'm thoroughly disgusted. I think I'll make a trip to the farmer's market tomorrow instead of heading to Walmart and HyVee.

Going to be calling the grass fed farm again to see if she's got any cattle ready. Probably going to end up buying pork from Wallace Farms, a sustainable farm in northern Iowa. Brad wants us to buy it from a local guy ($100 a pig), but I believe he feeds corn and soy based feeds to his pigs. His small scale "hobby farm" (I say hobby b/c he has a full time job as a mechanic in an office furniture plant - works with FIL) is still miles better than a cafo farm, even if he does feed corn and soy b/c I'll be voting with my dollars.

I keep considering where I would pull the money from to buy a quarter beef or a pig right now... I keep coming back to the furlough fund and my argument for why that would be ok is b/c if I have a freezer full of meat and a garden full of veggies, I don't NEED a grocery budget. That won't help me come winter when my garden is dead and I'm back to the grocery stores again, though... but by then I'll be back to a full salary.

I'm so conflicted by this. I abhor Monsanto and everything they are doing and I want to completely step away from anything they produce or are affiliated with. Unfortunately, their reach is far b/c they've also got fingers in the clothing business with GMO cotton and such.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    I dug up negative reviews of it on Amazon. Makes me skeptical. Documentaries are interesting, but they can be highly manipulative.
    Everything has a negative review on Amazon... lol

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    Yeah, but it's good for perspective. I read negative reviews for everything I buy. Usually I can rule them out, but I felt that some of the reviews were fairly valid on this documentary.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Well, I didn't pay anything for it, so I don't think I'm out anything, even if it is a bunch of crap.

I think I'm eating too much fruit... been having some digestive distress that leads me to believe there's a bit of bacterial overgrowth going on. Going to stop at the hippy store and pick up some pro-biotics and see if I can solve the problem that way. If not, I guess I'll have to cut back on the fruit - which is fine b/c I really don't need that much sugar anyway.

I'm about to drop an $1,100 payment on my credit card... heart is racing and POUNDING. Anxiety over money much???

I think Brad is getting closer and closer to adopting Primal for real. The other night while we were eating dinner, I mentioned that I found a Paleo "cornbread" recipe and pinned it to pinterest. He said "cornbread? I might be able to actually do this now."

He's also been impressing upon our kids that certain food items are not meant to be eaten and we should make better choices. For instance, hot dogs. He is reaching the point where the kids are not allowed to eat hotdogs (despite having 3 packs in the fridge) and has informed me not to buy them anymore. We are considering getting some from Wallace Farms, but he didn't really seem to like that idea either.

Last night, Brady ate pork chop with mashed potatoes. Makenna ate her potatoes and no meat. Brady tried my sweet potato and LOVED IT. I didn't even get to finish it b/c he wanted more so I gave him mine off my plate. He asked me to make them for him again.

I struggle with feeding my kids b/c I always fall back on "well, at least they're eating something" when I feed them something poor. But after watching Food Inc today, I'm probably not going to have that problem anymore. Our doctor always says that they'll eat when they hungry - and when they're hungry, present them only with the stuff you want them to eat. Eventually they'll eat it. I think back to what we ate as kids and it was always what mom and stepdad ate - never anything different b/c we didn't like what was prepared. We either ate it or we went hungry. We're starting to instill this kind of dinner time in our home. That way, at least the kids will be eating a more paleo friendly meal at least once in the day... lunch and breakfast are fed at school/daycare, and is (somewhat) out of my control.

I'm hoping to make it to the farmer's market tomorrow. Not sure what I plan to buy - but I definitely want to go. I miss the market. Still considering buying a quarter beef and a pig from local farmers to avoid CAFO farms. Even though the pig will be fed corn and soy. Wallace Farms pigs are given some conventional grain feed, so I might as well get them from the local guy that works with FIL. It'll still result in taking money out of the large corporation's hands. Chickens... still have to source chickens... but there's a local-ish farm that sells chickens and stuff. Going to look at their website some more.

Almost time to bug out for the weekend. Racing tonight and tomorrow night. Have a good weekend if I don't get on before Monday.

tomi is offline Senior Member
    Glad to hear Brad is getting close to turning away from the dark side! I still have hopes for hubby - but right now they are still dismal hopes. He's still in love with Oreo's and all things "junk".

Have fun at the races!

Yeah for big money on the credit card bill Progress.........
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

As per Marcadav:
    Do 30-60 days clean primal.
    No grains, sugar, alcohol.
    Eat 3 meals and primal snacks.
    Don't track food.
    Don't tweak.
    Don't expect issues to go away quickly. Instead, just follow the plan and see how things play out.
    Decide on an exercise plan you can/will do consistently during the 30-60 days and then do it.

Pebbles67 is online now Senior Member
    Have fun Jenn!

marcadav is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jenn26point2 View Post
    I'm about to drop an $1,100 payment on my credit card... heart is racing and POUNDING. Anxiety over money much???
    A lesson I've learned-- Feel the fear and do it anyway!!

Motor broke again. Two weeks in a row that a bolt has broken in the motor and side lined us for the night. Changing out all the bolts tomorrow in case we got a bad lot with the first batch... would hate to break a bolt tomorrow night when we're running for points. Tonight we were just running for fun.

Have no hear, Marcadav. I made the payment.