Page 315 of 593 FirstFirst ... 215265305313314315316317325365415 ... LastLast
Results 3,141 to 3,150 of 5927

Thread: My Journey from Sugar Burner to Fat Burner - jenn26point2's Primal Journal page 315

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    Just last week I was agreeing with someone that it's always something... Tomi I think? Anyhow, yesterday afternoon we took our dog to the vet... yep, on a Sunday. Yep. Gonna cost us emergency fees. He is still bleeding into his bladder and his urine is now a dark rust color every time. He was lethargic and not eating this weekend and could barely get around. Turns out b/c of the bleeding, he's severely anemic. I guess dogs usually run with an iron level of about 28 and our dog scored a 14... so he's panting all the time and generally wasting away. Doctor gave him a shot of cortisone to help his appetite and a shot with an strong antibiotic. He thinks the bloody urine is caused by an infection called Lepto, but doesn't know for sure. He needs a urine sample to check for it. But he's treating for it just in case. If it's not an infection, we're looking at a possible kidney cancer, and he'll have an ultrasound later this week to rule that out.

In regard to the anemia, he's producing fresh blood cells. The doctor says he's pumping them out at a rapid fire pace, but it's not enough to keep up with the bleeding in his bladder (or maybe kidneys). I asked if there was something we could do to treat the anemia while we're finding the cause of the bleeding and he said no, just to keep him resting.

So we'll see what happens. Brad's pretty upset. I haven't gotten very attached to a pet since I had to put a cat down about 12 years ago, so I'm indifferent about it. I don't want my kids to be upset and that's what worries me the most. He's been a great dog to them.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Btw, my sister is a total believer in Primal now. She ate primally for two weeks prior to going to St. Louis for the weekend for work. She just sent me a text and says she can't wait to have a salad at lunch b/c she feels so pregnant from eatin crappy foods this weekend. SCORE!!!

And on another note, I think MIL's pot use has gone from therapeutic to recreational. MIL and FIL's 34th wedding anniversary was this weekend. On Facebook she posted "This is to Amanda - next year for our 35th, we're going to Colorado". What's legal in Colorado? Pot.

She's never mentioned a desire to go to CO before. Ever.

TMI

My period started yesterday. And something I've noticed lately is that my period is rather painful. Not crampy so much as sharp stabby pain like painful. It's ok when I'm sitting, less ok when I stand up. And any kind of pelvic muscle contraction - so laughing, coughing, etc, is painful.

These kinds of periods are new to me too, which is bothersome. I'm used to cramps, "back labor", etc, with my period, but this is different. Applying pressure to my abdomen even increases the pain. I think I might need to see my doctor about it, but I don't know if I should see her DURING my period or after. I'll call and see what she wants to do.

namelesswonder is online now Senior Member
    Are you still taking Vitex? Perhaps it is not right for you. Definitely something to bring up with the doctor (though they may not approve of it at all, in which case I say, PAH!).
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Curing IBS-C with Vitamin C and magnesium citrate.

FINALLY! I'm able to reply! (Maybe)

I don't think the vitex is the problem as I seem to recall this type of pain occuring with previous cycles. It's hard to describe the pain, but it's been there before. I'll tell her I'm taking it though.

tomi is offline Senior Member
    Lots of things change when we stop taking bcp's. But I hope you find there is a fixable source for the pains, cuz you still have a long way to go with having periods. Are you taking anything during you're periods? Ibuprofen or something for the pain/cramps?
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

No, I don't take anything. Like I said, I don't have cramps... just this weird pain. I go in on Tuesday to see the dr. They wanted to wait til my period was over. Said she'll likely do a pelvic exam. Things are calmer today. Seems day 2 and 3 are the worst, 3 being the worst overall.

Took the dog to the vet. Brad collected a urine sample this morning. It was the color of merlot. When I set it on the counter and told the receptionist I had a urine sample, her eyes got as big as saucers. She took it back to Dr. Budding right away and he came out and said it does look like leptosporosis but he has to send it off to a lab to be sure. After 30 years as a vet, I trust his instinct with it. But he's going to do a kidney ultrasound to rule out cancer anyway. Googling leptosporosis pretty much confirms that's what it is. His symptoms match up pretty closely - diarrhea, anemia, jaundice, loss of appetite, bloody urine, "wasting" away, lethargy, muscle pain (myalgia), headache, fever. I can't say for sure if he has a headache or not, but I would assume he does. Google says (or rather, wikipedia) that it's a flu like illness that attacks the kidneys and liver. I just feel so bad for the poor dog. The kids don't seem to be too bothered by it (Brady acknowledges it), but Brad's a wreck. He's certain his dog is going to die. I haven't gotten attached to an animal since I had to have my cat put down after getting run over by a car, so I'm detached from the emotions of losing an animal, but it does break my heart to see this hurting Brad so much and hearing Brady acknowledge that something's wrong with our dog. On Sunday he told me "Mom, I don't think I'll be smiling tomorrow." I said "Why's that?" He said "B/c I think Moxie is going to die." So tough to have your 6 year old learning about death and dying. He asked if we could bury him in the yard. But, with any luck, it will turn out he's only got leptosporosis and it can be treated and we can move on with our spazzy ass dog another 4 years or so. Anxiously awaiting Brad's text that the dog is cancer free, which will lift a HUGE burden from our hearts. I'm optimistic that he'll be fine. I hope my optimism doesn't steer me wrong like it has in the past with some major medical things (Brad's uncle, but that's a story for another day).

Day 9 of the Whole37 (I'm doing 37 days). Doing really well. I haven't weighed. Thought about it today, but decided to wait. My wedding ring is spinning again, so I'm pretty sure I'm at least back down to 185.

Anyhow... I'm gonna sneak off and read some journals. I hope everyone has a great day.

namelesswonder is online now Senior Member
    I hope the dog is okay, for everyone's sake.

Good job with not weighing! I know it's a hard thing to give up. I can't remember, are you still doing the weight lifting? How is progression going with that?
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Curing IBS-C with Vitamin C and magnesium citrate.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I'm on week 4 of the progressive lifts.

Last week I deadlifted 145#, bench pressed 90#, squated 90#, and overhead pressed (military press) 65#. This week is a "deload week", or an active resting period where the weights lifted are about half of what I can physically lift. Yesterday was OHP day and all I was allowed to lift was 40# (a little more than half). Next week, I bump up in weight again, OHP 70#, deadlifting 150#, bench pressing and squatting 95# each. After 4 weeks I have had pretty significant gains in strength. And my body shape has changed a bit too. I haven't lost a single pound (well, that I know of) but my body has changed so I look like I've lost weight. I'm happy with it, but I wonder how I'll fit half marathon training into the mix come July.