Page 313 of 580 FirstFirst ... 213263303311312313314315323363413 ... LastLast
Results 3,121 to 3,130 of 5796

Thread: My Journey from Sugar Burner to Fat Burner - jenn26point2's Primal Journal page 313

naiadknight is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I'm younger than Jenn (I think), and I didn't get my first until I went off to college. The only reason I got that was emergencies and a cell phone plan was cheaper than a dorm landline. Since talking to my parents was free, I got the cheapest phone (free) and the cheapest plan (60 minutes a month, nothing else.)
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

jenn26point2 is online now Senior Member
    After reading Pam's journal, I am again motivated and inspired to purge my house of unnecessary "stuff". First order of business is children's clothes. I have so many clothes in the house that it's impossible (for me) to keep up with the laundry duties, so clothes tend to accumulate on the dining room table in laundry baskets. Most of the kids clothes are not wearable b/c they're too small. So this weekend, I will be taking time to go through those clothes and at least clear off my table.

I have contacted Family Resources, which has a battered women's shelter, to see if they'd be interested in the clothes. Honestly, I don't expect them to want that many clothes. The sheer number of clothing items is overwhelming at best. If they don't want them (or only ask for some of them), I'll give the rest of the Salvation Army or maybe the Red Cross. I'm hesitant to give them to Goodwill b/c I have a real problem with someone else making money off of my generosity. At least Family Resources and the Red Cross would give the clothes away to someone who needs it rather than selling them.

But the idea of purging stuff from my house is calming and cleansing. I can't wait. And as the furloughs come up (got an email from the union that the letter should be coming out soon and that at a minimum we're looking at 7 days - and that it will not drop to zero), I'll work on purging toys that my kids have but haven't played with in ages. And books. It's time to simplify and minimize!! Owning too much stuff is overwhelming.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

US Cellular has agreed to pay for the repairs on my phone. Another saga closed thanks to persistence and determination. Or as some people call it, being a squeaky annoying wheel.

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    Phones - I got my first cellphone at 16, I think? A nice little flip-phone. It didn't have a camera. I'm not sure when my sister got her first one, but I don't think it was more than 2 years before I did (she's 2 yrs older). My little brother is 15 and got his first cell last year, I think. He's finally starting to remember to have it with him when he's goes out biking. It opens up to have a full keyboard, which is easier for him to use, but it's not a smartphone. He definitely doesn't need one of those! He's on the computer plenty at home (and I put together a laptop for him last year).

Cleaning house - I think there's a veteran's association that leaves notices in our mailbox about clothes and furniture donations. Not sure if there's anything like that out by you. Sometimes I wish I had stuff to donate, most of my "crap" just needs to get thrown out. Been thinking about that since there's a slim chance we'll move this Fall.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Ran 3.14 miles over lunch in 36:11. Average pace was 11:31 per mile, so roughly 5.5 miles per hour was my speed. I felt good until I reach the turn around. Then I felt like my legs were heavy. And it started to get really really hot and I was really really thirsty. Would have been smart to take a water with me... silly girl.

I ran across government bridge. I enjoyed looking down through the grated floor to see the water flowing below. The grated floor did not feel so great on my feet though. But it won't deter me from running that route again. I kind of liked it. Just wish there'd been more of a breeze or more shade along the route. It's amazing to me how few trees there are out there.

Definitely earned my shower today.

Pebbles67 is online now Senior Member
    You should itemize the clothes and donate to the Salvation Army. Their website has a value range for each item of clothing. I took the mid point value. Last year, I donated $1600 dollars in clothes, which allowed us to get a refund instead of having to pay the Feds.

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    I'll remind my mom of this option, as she owes taxes this year. Could be good for next year.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

The DAV (disabled American Veteran) has thrift stores around here, but I don't think they cater to young kids so much. I much prefer the salvation army as they provide clothes and stuff when people's houses burn down or when everything is lost in a storm. I prefer those kinds of organizations over thrift stores personally.

Oy! Feel like I need to be wearing bunker gear and carrying a hose! Been fighting fires all morning. Craziness.

tomi is online now Senior Member
    What about the Red Cross? Do they warehouse clothing and household items for things like fire/flood disasters too? Maybe they rely on the other organizations to step up for those needs. I think you're idea of the womens shelter is a good one - also, many churches have "clothes closets" for needy people too. I'm sure there are LOTS of places you could donate too.

Hope the day calms down and the fires stop burning
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

Weight goals:
    Highest weight: 216
    Current weight: 189 (7-16-14)
    Goal weight: 140