Page 309 of 557 FirstFirst ... 209259299307308309310311319359409 ... LastLast
Results 3,081 to 3,090 of 5569

Thread: My Journey from Sugar Burner to Fat Burner - jenn26point2's Primal Journal page 309

jenn26point2 is online now Senior Member
    Our budget is set up weekly. We have a grocery budget, fuel budget, "blow money" that can be spent on whatever we want - right now we split it - or rather, he gets his and I forfeit mine b/c we're usually too strapped), racing, daycare, whatever bills we have, and the rest goes to debt or whatever we're saving for. Right now, any extra is going to debt, and any overtime is going to our short-term saving. Our short-term saving deal right now is his trip to a big race in September ($1,000 is what he's asked for for the two of us to go out there, race, spend the weekend, etc - it's a week long race and will require hotel room, etc. $1,000 is probably overkill, but better to have too much than not enough).

We don't do a "monthly" budget of any kind. If we want to go out, it is supposed to come from our blow money. I have our budget on a spreadsheet, tabbed out by month. On each month is the list of bills due, broken out by what week they will get paid. He is easily confused by it, so tends not to pay much attention to it. Here's a pic of one month:

Picture0001.jpg

Ok, let me explain.

What you see here is the bills due the first, second and third weeks of May and what date the paycheck arrives that will pay them. The colums on the left, in green, are the "income" columns. They show where the money comes from, when it arrives, and how much. The center column, in red, is what is actual bills. If they are shaded grey, they are paid. Pink is debt snowball. Yellow is "extra" being provided. In this case, we're making an additional deposit to our life insurance to get caught up/ahead. The left column, mostly in blue, is 'savings'. Red stuff is atypical stuff that isn't reoccuring - i.e. Makenna's birthday party, racing, paying back the furlough, etc.

I think it's easy to decipher, but he does not. I think it's b/c he's never truly LOOKED at it. I have our finances set up like this all the way out through December 2017 - using my Outlook calendar to pinpoint our pay dates. Some months have extra money b/c we get paid bi-weekly, on alternating weeks, so there's money coming in every week. Those weeks, with no bills, are used to hammer our debts. This is how we can get things paid off in 4 years. This spreadsheet right here makes that happen - we just have to learn to keep our hands out of the proverbial cookie jar.

I think it's a good system, but it doesn't stop us from overspending b/c TECHNICALLY there's money in our accounts, even if it's obligated. I'd make a horrible president.
    Last edited by jenn26point2; 04-25-2013 at 02:45 PM.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Robbing Peter to pay Paul... story of our life.

tomi is online now Senior Member
    well - what about instead of keeping your "blow money" in the account and relying on recording whats been spent --- take the money out and put it in your wallets - when its gone - the fun is done until next paycheck. So if you both start the week with $50 (or whatever it is) then Brad can actually SEE how much is left until his next "allowance". He might have a better grasp on how and what he spends his share on if he has to watch it disappear out of his wallet.

That's a pretty impressive spreadsheet --- maybe you should have been an accountant! Keeping track of other peoples spending.
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

ssn679doc is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jenn26point2 View Post
    I think it's a good system, but it doesn't stop us from overspending b/c TECHNICALLY there's money in our accounts, even if it's obligated. I'd make a horrible president.
    OK... I can think of some things to quip here.....

Our "blow money" does get pulled out of checking each week.

On a different note, my husband is a fucking jerk. I'm very upset with him right now to the point that I don't care to speak to him or see him. And I hope he loses the "big one" today while fishing. Or doesn't catch a single effing fish. He's being a complete jerk and for no reason at all.

Quote Originally Posted by jenn26point2 View Post
    Our "blow money" does get pulled out of checking each week.

On a different note, my husband is a fucking jerk. I'm very upset with him right now to the point that I don't care to speak to him or see him. And I hope he loses the "big one" today while fishing. Or doesn't catch a single effing fish. He's being a complete jerk and for no reason at all.
    well - bummer........... on both accounts. Sorry Brad is being a jerk - men are pretty good at that sometimes! I think sometimes they just don't want to be adults anymore and revert to that little shit who doesn't play well with others.

Hope things smooth out as that day goes by...............
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

He must be feeling bad for being a jerk. Just asked me if I want to take Monday off to go fishing.

they always come back with their tails between their legs! (or something like that)
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

OH... MY GOD. I just got a call from the mortgage writer... he told me that we're closing on the 4th so I'm supposed to call and stop my auto payment that is scheduled for the 1st. He then told me our first payment isn't due until July 1... so TWO months without a mortgage payment!!! TWO EFFING MONTHS! Are you KIDDING me??? WHOO HOOOOOO!!!!

What do I do now?? Apply both payments to debt? Sock one away (and risk our stupid asses blowing it on stupid shit b/c we can't control our spending)?

Seriously, folks. This is $2,300 that we don't have going out for our mortgage now... I'm overly anxious about what to do with it... I want to use it wisely...

And I'm afraid of what Brad will want to do with it - save it for his big race in September (currently, he's working overtime to fund that), buy something stupid with it (luckily not a 4 wheeler as he has one of those - which hasn't been ridden in over probably 2 months, by the way)... what to do, what to do...

Seriously. So anxious. MAYBE I can open an ING or HSBC high interest savings account and put it there... moving money from there takes TEN DAYS (seriously) so it won't be as easy to get into and can honestly serve as an emergency account that way... *sigh* I hate these types of decisions.

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    PrimalCon New York
    Seems like a separate account that's just for accumulating and NO SPENDING would be a good idea. My first vote is always towards debt.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).