Page 277 of 555 FirstFirst ... 177227267275276277278279287327377 ... LastLast
Results 2,761 to 2,770 of 5550

Thread: My Journey from Sugar Burner to Fat Burner - jenn26point2's Primal Journal page 277

geostump is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Power Strokes, AKA Power Jokes. If we lived near each other, I would have Brad talk to Clint. Clint's a beast when it comes to making exhaust systems. He can build them by hand and yes, they do help with horsepower.

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    I had to increase my vitamin D dose again to deal with DST. I felt SO happy when I got out of work yesterday and it was warm (around 50F!) and sunny. I can't wait till the sun comes back in the morning!
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

honeybuns is offline Senior Member
    Hot rot compost is where you turn the pile to keep the decomposition temps high. This will make compost faster but is a great deal of labor. Cold rot compost you just stack everything and let Mother Nature do the rest. Earthworms LOVE straw. One of my best compost was making a square of the straw bales and just dumping everything in the middle. Worms will not only digest your compostables, they will also burrow through the straw bales and turn them into black gold. If you have an area you want to become a garden bed someday, spread straw on it through the winter. By planting time the worms will have vastly improved the soil underneath. Classic example of sheet composting.
    Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by honeybuns View Post
    Hot rot compost is where you turn the pile to keep the decomposition temps high. This will make compost faster but is a great deal of labor. Cold rot compost you just stack everything and let Mother Nature do the rest. Earthworms LOVE straw. One of my best compost was making a square of the straw bales and just dumping everything in the middle. Worms will not only digest your compostables, they will also burrow through the straw bales and turn them into black gold. If you have an area you want to become a garden bed someday, spread straw on it through the winter. By planting time the worms will have vastly improved the soil underneath. Classic example of sheet composting.
    Is your winter different than mine? We have snow on the ground and a deep frost. I've never seen worms in the winter. lol I will keep this in mind for next winter though.

I plan to do a mounted barrel that I turn weekly. I need quick compost since spring is almost here and I don't have any yet.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

If you are turning a mounted barrel then that would be a hot rot.

Our winters are radically different than yours. For example, we've been in the high 40's, low 50's. Flowers are really beginning to bloom, lawns are being mowed already. Rain is our wintertime precipitation.

My nephew's lady friend is from Iowa and cannot wait to move here so she can do outdoor stuff all winter long.

Honeybuns, do you sift your compost before you spread it? I found a neat idea on Pinterest to take a 10 gal or so Rubbermaid storage container, drill a ton of holes in the top, pour the new compost onto the top, and sift into the container. I was planning to use a wheelbarrow to transport my compost, but I almost like this idea better. I can put the container in the kids' Radio Flyer wagon and roll it back and forth to sift and then roll it to wherever I need my compost.

I have a Pinterst board designated to gardening and composting if you're interested in looking at it.

The only time I sift is if I am going to mix it with potting soil. If I am top mulching or turning it into the soil, I use it as is unless there are some big pieces that I throw back in the compost. Don't know if I ever told you that I'm a professional horticulturist. They call me the walking encyclopedia.

Yes, I'd love to look at your Pinterest board!

I would LOVE to do this daily! I am so fascinated by it and love being outdoors. It's quite possible that I have found what I want to do "when I grow up", but of course, there's the matter of making it work financially, etc. In a few years, if things go according to plan, Brad and I will be better situated financially and maybe I can start taking some classes at the local community colleges or something. I truly love the outdoors and love doing landscaping, building, etc - have for years, but have never acted on it. And whenever I think about going back to work for myself, it's always landscaping and outdoorsy stuff that comes to mine. So, maybe someday. Unfortunately, our area is SATURATED with landscapers and gardeners.

here is my pinterest board. there's not much there yet, but it's growing. I plan to add some flowers and stuff in the future.

tomi is offline Senior Member
    I peaked at your Pinterest page - too bad we aren't next door neighbors - cuz our gardening interests are so much alike!
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

As per Marcadav:
    Do 30-60 days clean primal.
    No grains, sugar, alcohol.
    Eat 3 meals and primal snacks.
    Don't track food.
    Don't tweak.
    Don't expect issues to go away quickly. Instead, just follow the plan and see how things play out.
    Decide on an exercise plan you can/will do consistently during the 30-60 days and then do it.

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    A personal experience for Brad to consider before he buys his four-wheeler:

My Honey wanted to spend a chunk of our tax refund on a special item. I wanted to save it, until after his contract was renewed(end of April). He felt that if he didn't get it now, it would just be put off, and life is too short, etc.

It is his money, too, so I 'gave in' and the item was purchased last Friday. This Monday he found out that his contract will not be renewed.

It is a month's worth of expenses. He tells me not to worry, he will get another job( and I know he will) but the stress level is off the charts. Already. After 18 hours. I broke down crying today.

It means a lot to have your living expenses covered. Whether more than having a new toy, only he can say.

But I know what I would say if I could go back to Friday.