Page 262 of 555 FirstFirst ... 162212252260261262263264272312362 ... LastLast
Results 2,611 to 2,620 of 5547

Thread: My Journey from Sugar Burner to Fat Burner - jenn26point2's Primal Journal page 262

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by tomi View Post
    snipped...
    Tomi, I am working a debt repayment plan, but right now, there is no extra in our checkbook to cover the cost. I had to pull it from the furlough. No choice. I would be able to skim off of the repayment plan next month to replace the furlough money, but I won't. Brad has to make that up with overtime.

As for him funding his own racing??? Not likely to happen. His weekly allowance is $50 - that is spent on admission fees. This financial strain has only started happening in the last couple of years - when he moved up from stock car (think 80's model year Monte Carlos) to Modified - smaller parts, break easier, more of them, higher level of competition, etc. I wish we had never left stock car... things were a lot less stressful then and we did very well with it (won 15 races one year). There was still financial strain, but it wasn't as bad as it is now. There was more sponsor money then to fix things as they broke. Our last year in stock car we had 20 sponsors! Now we only have 10 or so. The economy caused a lot of our business sponsors to back out. Most of our current sponsors donate materials instead of cash - for instance, Arnold Motor Supplies gives us oil and filters for the bi-weekly oil changes. Oil doesn't help when a ball joint breaks, ya know?

Anyway, I know that we're not the only ones paying out the nose for the car. MIL and FIL pay a lot too. They rack up a credit card in multiples of $1,000 every year and spend all winter paying it off... they've had their own fights about it, too. At one point, when we were our most competitive, MIL put a spending freeze on the credit card b/c we replaced the motor that year and the spending was getting out of control.

It's frustrating and you'd think I'd be used to it by now. In 3 years, when our debts are completely paid off, it won't be a problem. we'll have the "disposable" income... right now we don't so these little charges here and there drive me batty. I should be more flexible, but I have goals I want to achieve and flexibility will make that achievement very difficult.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

tomi is offline Senior Member
    Sure wish you could get Brad on board with the financial goals - it would make it all so much easier - and be a joint venture.

Maybe subliminal messages would work talk to him in his sleep? Just kidding........... or not? Hey, if it would help, I'd sure try it!
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

As per Marcadav:
    Do 30-60 days clean primal.
    No grains, sugar, alcohol.
    Eat 3 meals and primal snacks.
    Don't track food.
    Don't tweak.
    Don't expect issues to go away quickly. Instead, just follow the plan and see how things play out.
    Decide on an exercise plan you can/will do consistently during the 30-60 days and then do it.

Quote Originally Posted by tomi View Post
    Sure wish you could get Brad on board with the financial goals - it would make it all so much easier - and be a joint venture.

Maybe subliminal messages would work talk to him in his sleep? Just kidding........... or not? Hey, if it would help, I'd sure try it!
    Maybe I could imbed some subliminal messages on his favorite cd?? lol

tomi is offline Senior Member
    its worth a try!
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

As per Marcadav:
    Do 30-60 days clean primal.
    No grains, sugar, alcohol.
    Eat 3 meals and primal snacks.
    Don't track food.
    Don't tweak.
    Don't expect issues to go away quickly. Instead, just follow the plan and see how things play out.
    Decide on an exercise plan you can/will do consistently during the 30-60 days and then do it.

Made these tonight... they are not keto friendly, but they are dang good. Next time, I will reduce the salt a bit... I know that it's meant to be a saltier treat, but it's too much salt for me.

Might be better on the keto scale if they didn't have chocolate chips. Mixes easier if you nuke the coconut manna, syrup and salt mixture before folding the shredded coconut in. I also used fine shred coconut, which might have made it a bit more difficult to mix. Could easily add nuts - pecans or almonds would be good. I'd let the mixture cool a bit before forming the balls. When you squeeze them together, the oil squeezes out - wonder if it would be different if the mixture was cool before forming the cookies.

I have heartburn tonight... or at least, I think it's heartburn. Tight burning in the ribcage. Not sure what I could have eaten that could have caused it. Rather uncomfortable...

Thinking about a Whole30 for March to get me back on track with Primal and then going back to nutritional ketosis. Not sure though... there are things I can eat on NK that I can't eat on W30 - like maple syrup in cream cheese clouds...

I just feel stuck in limbo right now. Maybe I just need to get back to 100% primal. Which yesterday was not... I had some bbq chips. They tasted very sweet. Come to think of it, maybe the chips are what caused the heartburn last night?

weight today was 192... up one pound from yesterday... likely the chips again.

I'm thinking 200 mg of 5-htp isn't enough. Been thinking about going back on SSRI's recently. A lot. I think 300 is the max for 5-htp. I took 300 mg the other day (200 at about 4:30 after fighting with Brad and 100 at bedtime). Felt great yesterday. Took 100 at 3ish then 100 at bedtime yesterday and feeling down today. I believe 300 is the max? Does this mean I need to switch to straight up tryptophan instead of 5-htp?

Class tonight to work on my thesis. Then class tomorrow night too. Long days followed by short nights.

Sleep has been ok according to the monitor. I woke up twice Monday night, but don't remember it. Monitor picked it up. But I got ot bed late, so only got about 5 hours of sleep. Not sure what the monitor caught last night b/c I haven't done an upload yet. But I was only awaken at 2:30 by our son and was only awake for about 4 minutes. Pretty sure I went right back to sleep after laying back down. Expect to see pretty decent sleep graph for last night as well, but again, only like 6 hours of sleep. I probably just need to get to bed sooner, which will be tough given my class schedule. But come May, I won't have an excuse.

I'm going to work on my strategic plan analysis now. It's not due for another week, but if I knock it out now, I'll essentially be done with that class, aside from showing up - all my "work" will be done. I'm half way through the paper now. Then it'll be time to REALLY focus on the thesis. Like REALLY focus on it. Time is slipping away quickly.

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    Send me a PM tonight if I forget to respond to you about 5-htp and Tryptophan. On my phone today. I will try to right up some blends to you from The Mood Cure.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

That would be great since I haven't gotten to read the book yet.

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    The book suggests boosting up to 150mg of 5-HTP for your first dose and again at bedtime (specifically, by 5PM and by 10PM) if you are not feeling like it is "enough" at a lower dose.

Serotonin is synthesized in your body from tryptophan, an amino acid (protein building block) found in foods like turkey, beef, and cheese. Trytophan first converts into a substance called 5-HTP (5-hydroxytryptophan), which then converts directly into serotonin (chapter 3).

The book describes that some people fine 5-HTP or L-Tryptophan work better. Sometimes neither works well and you can try St John's Wort or sam-e. It also says that you should try up to 300mg of 5-HTP for one week before trying anything else. From my experience, that should be more than enough time at one dose to see if it will be beneficial. The symptoms listed for issues with 5-HTP are things like sleeplessness, queasiness, and some other kind of mild discomfort, so I think you might be encountering a dosage issue rather than anything else.

Controlling-type behavior is discussed in chapter 3 .

On 5-HTP vs Tryptophan (how to find out):
    Stop your 5-HTP and take 500mg of Tryptophan for every 50mg of 5-HTP that you've been taking. You'll know in two days which is the right brain food for you.

Personal note - I would suggest trying up to 3000mg of Tryptophan, in that case. It usually comes in 500mg or 1000mg per capsule, IIRC. The Mood-Type Questionnaire from the book will be very helpful to you. L-Tyrosine is also discussed in conjunction with 5-HTP or L-Tryptophan, and the questionnaire makes it clear if it might be beneficial to you. You may find it helpful to use 5-HTP (up to 300mg) AND L-Tyrosine, but I would refer to the book for all of that. I think the questionnaire is actually viewable in the book preview on Amazon.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

I've done the questionnaire on her website. I think I have since tossed the results as I couldn't read the material that pertained to each test. Thank you for this information. I am stopping by the hippy store tonight to get some tea tree oil (stupid facial crap) and will see if they have a bottle of 50 mg 5-htp. All they had the last time I stopped was 100.