Page 23 of 590 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373123523 ... LastLast

Thread: My Journey from Sugar Burner to Fat Burner - jenn26point2's Primal Journal page 23

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by theprimalcajun View Post
    life was hard back then...but simpler I think.
    I agree!!! I would give up my car, my house, my phone, my tv, all of that stuff to live in the days of Laura Ingalls Wilder.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

lopisheep is offline Senior Member
    Well, me too, except for heat (lack of wood), showers, and almost starving several times.

Quote Originally Posted by jenn26point2 View Post
    I agree!!! I would give up my car, my house, my phone, my tv, all of that stuff to live in the days of Laura Ingalls Wilder.

Something's missing and I don't know what it is... I don't know if it's a vitamin or a mineral or something less microscopic like sleep or what but I am dead again today. I started out ok, but since having breakfast I am falling asleep at my desk. Or maybe there's something being added that shouldn't be added. The last two mornings I indulged in some 100% apple juice. Hello insulin spike! maybe that's it... I'll go without juice tomorrow and see if that helps. The juice just helps the vitamins go down so much more easily and there's no vitamin taste.

This morning I got a "good driver" award. The county sheriff stopped me for speeding. DH is going to be PISSED! $119 is the cost of the fine... Oops. But it'll all work out b/c DH paid off a loan yesterday, our baby emergency fund is funded, and we're well on our way to snowballing on another loan and getting it paid off in the next couple of months. We're on our way to living a life that cannot be described as paycheck to paycheck. I'm so tired of paycheck to paycheck!! That lead foot won't put us back too far.

Anyhow... I'm feeling a bit better now... not so sleepy... but I also just ate 3 squares of Dove Silky Dark chocolate... *sigh*

Sugar, you have GOT to go... GOT to.

The 10 day outlook is still ticking me off. They took the rain out of the forecast, but they're still calling for coldish temperatures on Sunday. I don't want it to be cold!! Why is it going to be 78 degrees today and only 58 degrees on Sunday??? makes absolutely NO sense to me. Stupid. Hopefully whatever needs to change to improve the forecast happens so that my daughter can enjoy a warm birthday party at the park. Oh, and they're calling for rain on Saturday, which is 3 weekends in a row for rain... sure would be nice if the rain would come during the week so the race track can be dry for racing...

Food plan for today:

8:30
    vitamins
    2 egg omelet with ham, green pepper, onion, and cheese
    3 sausage links
    Apple juice
    3 squares dark chocolate

IF thru lunch

7:30
    dinner, but I don't know what yet...

Exercise: I'll go to the gym and LHT today. And maybe spend a little bit on the bike and read my Kindle. If it's not raining tonight (supposed to storm today), my sister and I will take a walk each pulling a 100 lb wagon. Our boys are grounded from the bikes this week b/c they got too close to the highway without an adult with them and wouldn't come away from the road when we told them to. So no bikes for them. We should make them walk... but then we'd have to listen to them whine that they're tired. Our walks would be MUCH more enjoyable if we just went without our kids, but she's a single mom and DH will be working on the race car or graphics (finishing up the last of the jobs so we can move the equipment to the new owner this weekend) and won't be able to/won't want to watch the 4 of them... it makes our walks stressful, which defeats the purpose, really. The girls aren't so bad. They like to go and don't complain or whine. But the boys either don't follow the rules or get whiney and annoying. Hopefully today will be different.

Sugar... I need to battle the sugar. First step - eliminate the juice and no dark chocolate during the day. I can have dark chocolate after dinner, but not during the day. I'm abusing dark chocolate and it's counterproductive to my goals. As is the juice. The juice (which has only happened the last two days) is triggering the dark chocolate sugar drive, so no more.

On that note, it's time to take a walk to deliver some administrative packets and hit the potty. Have a nice day everyone.

lopisheep is offline Senior Member
    Wondering if it might be the apple juice. It's not only a huge sugar intake but has other issues as well once it's bottled.

WHFoods: How does fruit juice compare to whole fruit?

Dark chocolate is an odd food. Raw with no sugar and it can be great for some people. I take it that's what you're using. Add the sugar and it's poison. Cooked into bars it's super caffeine with the later downside -- tiredness -- sugar doing that too. If you're not eating raw chocolate nibs or cacao, it's kind of interesting. My son Luke mixes raw nibs with plain yogurt and a date chopped up for a little treat. Might not work if it's the chocolate with sugar you're craving. Just some thoughts.

I so hope you're feeling better soon. Ticket didn't help, I'm sure. Baby fund. Does that mean you're expecting a new one? Wow! Maybe that's why you're tired!

No no no... baby emergency fund... meaning small emergency fund - only $1,000 USD. It's a Dave Ramsey term. You have the baby emergency fund of $1,000 to cover you so you don't have to use credit cards for something unexpected (like if you fan goes out of your furnace or something, auto repairs, etc)... the fully funded emergency fund is 3-6 months income... Sorry... didn't mean to confuse. Nope.... no babies.

The chocolate I'm eating has sugar... and I have no idea what the percent of dark chocolate is b/c it doesn't say. For now on, I'll just stay away from it b/c like you said, Lopisheep, it's poison...

The apple juice... I spoke with a gal I work with who is a huge naturopathic eater/liver, much like us primal folks, but a little bit more "hippy" and she thinks it's the juice too. And of course, the juice just sets me up for sugar cravings for the rest of the day. The juice has 51g of carbs and 48g of sugar (no added sugar - all from the fruit). It's a bad combo, I think.

On a more positive side, I walked into the office of another gal to say hi and her jaw dropped and her eyes got big. She said "you have lost some weight!", I played it off and said "Nah, I'm wearing one of those Rider's Instantly-Slims-You shirts" (I am by the way) and she said, "well, whatever else you're doing, it works!" So I explained to her how I gave up grains and the result is a more stabilized insulin level, thus reduced glucose production, thus less fat production and increased fat burn. She was surprised to learn that I don't eat pasta or anything like that. She's pre-diabetic and hadn't heard that giving up grains can create weight loss. I'm going to forward her the titles The Primal Blueprint and Wheat Belly for her to do her own research.

I'm going to take it upon myself to research more into adrenal fatigue. i know there were a couple of supplements I could take to improve my adrenal health that I'm not taking and I can't remember what they're called. I want to see if they're available at my local pharmacy. If they're not, I'll probably order the Adrenal health blended vitamin thing the site I went to had for sale. Did I tell you my doctor seems skeptical of my approach with my adrenals? My osteopath seems less than convinced that I needed to worry about my adrenals, and I told her about the vitamins, reduced workouts, etc, and all she said was "good luck, I hope it works for you". I got the impression that she was skeptical.

I have not heard back from the chiropractor on whether or not they offer adrenal saliva testing.

I am also VERY intrigued by the shampoo-less approach. All I have thought about all morning long is making my own baking soda and water mixture to wash my hair with. Instead of using apple cider vinegar as "conditioner" I'll probably use lemon juice. Simple Mom – Live intentionally. says that some use lemon juice and some use honey. I'll start with lemon juice b/c to me, lemon juice smells good. How is everyone coming along with finding a substitute for toothpaste? Morning breath is bothersome to me and I don't wanna subject anyone to it. lol

longing2bfit is offline Senior Member
    Hey Jenn, I went pooless about 9 months ago!! All I use is lemon juice twice a week and a very nice, natural conditioner about 3 times per week. My hair has never been softer or easier to deal with!! We make our toothpaste by mixing coconut oil and aluminum free baking soda.

I just don't know how I feel about all the supplements that everyone is using. When I first started this lifestyle part of the allure was trying to live 'Natural'. But it seems there are so many pills, vitamins and minerals added that it just doesn't feel natural, ya know? I happily left behind several medications when I originally lost so much weight but now that I have gained most of it back I am needing certain medications again That makes me sadder than sad....*wandering away to ponder dilemma*

Quote Originally Posted by longing2bfit View Post
    Hey Jenn, I went pooless about 9 months ago!! All I use is lemon juice twice a week and a very nice, natural conditioner about 3 times per week. My hair has never been softer or easier to deal with!! We make our toothpaste by mixing coconut oil and aluminum free baking soda.

I just don't know how I feel about all the supplements that everyone is using. When I first started this lifestyle part of the allure was trying to live 'Natural'. But it seems there are so many pills, vitamins and minerals added that it just doesn't feel natural, ya know? I happily left behind several medications when I originally lost so much weight but now that I have gained most of it back I am needing certain medications again That makes me sadder than sad....*wandering away to ponder dilemma*
    Hey sweets! I am taking vitamins... those are my supplements. And the reason I am taking them is because I am not as open to eating some of the more nutrient rich foods like organ meats and whatnot. I am also taking them in an effort to eliminate my need for antidepressant medications that make me feel like an emotional zombie. They are working. I just had a phone con with a nurse who works on the depression team for my health insurance. I scored a 0 on her questionnaire which allowed her to discharge me from their depression program. I have been (according to her) symptom free for 2 weeks (how does that cure me of depression???) so they aren't going to call me anymore. Awesome. Now if I can just convince my psych to decrease my meds.

Anyhow, I digress. I am taking the vitamins for a specific reason, in an effort to undo the damage done by a poor diet more rapidly than a fixed diet can do it. I think that's why most people take the supplements too. As we go along I think a lot of people are finding they have issues they didn't realize they had b/c their poor diet masked them and are taking the supplements in an effort to NOT take prescription drugs. I bet a regular multi would be fine for you.

Thanks for the "recipe" for toothpaste!!

longing2bfit is offline Senior Member
    thought you guys might have fun with this...

http://health.bizcalcs.com/Calculato...ame-Size-Elbow

mine is small frame and says I should weigh 120-133!!! My elbow measurement is 2' from one bone to the next.

DIRECTIONS: Bend elbow and point up, measure from tip bone to the other bone you can see. 2' or less is small bone, 2'-3' is medium bone, 3' or larger is large boned

This might be easier to measure with a calipers (not body fat calipers but the ones people use to measure diameter)

But, I'm thinking I'm between 2 and 3 inches, so my weight range is 124 to 133 or so. Seems a bit low... I'm aiming for 140 first and will move further if I my body wants to.

Lex26 is offline Senior Member
    On the adrenal supplements - I don't know, I haven't tried. BUT, they're expensive and I would say get other habits under control that would help a lot more before investing in them. It's a tempting idea that a pill can solve your problems, but on here I think the focus is on how changing behaviors is the most important part of solving our health problems. When we get those on lock, the supplements might help.

And, concerning the sugar thing, I know it seems like it would be easier to allow a little sugar than to cut it out completely. But the latter has always been easier for me. Just a little bit at the wrong time can set me off on other temptations I'd rather not fight. I have to be careful not to overdo whole fruit as well.
    Starting weight: 225
    Current weight: 195
    Goal: One pull-up by December 31, 2012
    Method: Schwarzbein Principle II, program for insulin sensitive/burned-out adrenals
    My Primal Journey

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods