Page 229 of 593 FirstFirst ... 129179219227228229230231239279329 ... LastLast
Results 2,281 to 2,290 of 5927

Thread: My Journey from Sugar Burner to Fat Burner - jenn26point2's Primal Journal page 229

canio6 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jenn26point2 View Post
    John, I called FedLoan Servicing today b/c I got a "repayment schedule" in my email - I'm due to start repaying in May after I graduate from my master's program. When I complained about the payment, she gave me these options (original payment was almost 3x what I'm eligible to pay based on income). Number if you want to call them: 1-800-699-2908. She said any previous payments could be applied to the 120 payments as well, so if you've been paying for a number of years, they may qualify you to be forgiven sooner.
    I paid for 4 years while in the Army but have been on in-school deferment since. I will have to call them up since I am graduating in Dec. Thanks for the tip. This is awesome.

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    John, here are the links to the forms you would need:

http://www.myfedloan.org/forms/pdf/d...ctions_ECF.pdf (application for Public Service Loan Forgiveness - includes the particulars in how the program works)

http://www.myfedloan.org/forms/pdf/p...ome-driven.pdf (income based payment plan form - you have to be using this program to qualify as well)
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

I am hoping the payments I made while I was in the Army qualify... but I have some FFEL loans and only direct loans qualify - but you can consolidate them all into direct loans and still qualify. It's all in the paperwork I posted for you.

Quote Originally Posted by canio6 View Post
    This is awesome.
    I agree. It's a great opportunity.

Naiad, do you qualify?

What kinds of employment qualify?

Qualifying employment is any employment with: a federal, state, or local government agency, entity, or organization (including entities such as a public transportation, public water, or public bridge district, or a public housing authority) or a non-profit
    organization that has been designated as tax-exempt by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) under 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code (IRC). The type of services that these public service organizations provide does not matter for PSLF purposes.

A private non-profit employer that is not a tax-exempt organization under Section 501(c)(3) of the IRC may be a qualifying public service organization if it provides certain specified public services. These services include: emergency management, military service, public safety, law enforcement services; public health services; public education, public library services; school library and other school-based services; public interest law services, early childhood education; public service for individuals with
    disabilities and the elderly. The organization must not be a labor union or a partisan political organization.

Generally, the type or nature of employment with the organization does not matter for PSLF purposes. However, when
    determining full-time public service employment at a not-for-profit organization you may not include time spent
    participating in religious instruction, worship services, or any form of proselytizing.

canio6 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jenn26point2 View Post
    John, here are the links to the forms you would need:

http://www.myfedloan.org/forms/pdf/d...ctions_ECF.pdf (application for Public Service Loan Forgiveness - includes the particulars in how the program works)

http://www.myfedloan.org/forms/pdf/p...ome-driven.pdf (income based payment plan form - you have to be using this program to qualify as well)
    <3 you so much right now

More than happy to help.

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    No. I was only public service for 2.5 years.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    I think you should still work to snowball it down. The satisfaction of being debt-free, and paying all you owe on a debt is worth some emotional credit, in my book.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    By the time I get to the point of snowballing my student loans, I will be three years into the repayment process. But, I also have some time behind me where I was paying on them while I served in the Army, and then in 2010 before I started working toward my master's, so I maybe have a good chunk already taken care of (I started paying on them in 2003 and was still in the army in 2007 when I went back to school and dropped out of repayment status, and according to the paperwork, those 4 years should count). If so, I will be 7 years through the process by the time it comes to snowball time. If so, it'll benefit me to not snowball them. I'll know more when I get closer to being done with school. They won't let me set it up yet b/c you can't do it while in a deferred status (deferred for school). I could end my deferment now, but I don't have the payments working into the budget until May, and we don't have the money right now to pay them back yet. So, I'll know a lot more come May.

Besides, I won't be debt free for a LEAST another 15 years... i still have a mortgage to pay off.