Page 228 of 593 FirstFirst ... 128178218226227228229230238278328 ... LastLast
Results 2,271 to 2,280 of 5927

Thread: My Journey from Sugar Burner to Fat Burner - jenn26point2's Primal Journal page 228

Sabine is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I LOVE 'The Secret Garden'!

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    I liked that one. Another couple of favorites around that time frame in my life were Jacob Have I Loved and The Witch of Blackbird Pond.
    (Now that I think about it, there's a major theme in my favorite books from my tweens to early college years. Depressive much?)
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    Just learned more about the furloughs, from someone who would actually know - i.e. my bosses just held a meeting to tell everyone how it is looking. My "civilian" boss said that in her 30+ years as an Army Civilian, she can remember 2 days that were actual furlough days and those were eventually paid back to the employees who took time off (i.e. backpay). She said that congress will not want to face the backlash of employees losing vacation time (we do not accrue vacation time while in a Leave Without Pay status - which is what a furlough is), retirees losing out on retirement pay (our retirement pay is based on our salaries for the last 3 years. The largest of those 3 years is the salary they base retirement off of. If someone is retiring and this year would be their highest paid year and they get furloughed, it could mean that this year's pay is lower than one of the other two years, which will permanently affect their retirement pay for the rest of their lives, etc), not to mention the financial crisis some families would endure as a result of the furlough. She really doesn't think we'll be furloughed... however, if we are, our 22-30 days will have to be taken between June 1 and September 30... which will mean many days off every pay period.

Nothing of any paramount importance and things are still in the air... but... it's more than we knew before.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Not sure what to post here that I didn't already post in the Eat Moar Fat challenge thread. Nothing to really report, actually. Still up 2 lbs from my EMF low. Hoping they are gone by tomorrow so I can report an 11 lb loss for January. My ring is loose and spinning around constantly so I'm hopeful that I'm nearing ketosis again and will see that 2 lbs loss. Even if only one more lb falls off and I can claim 10 lbs, I'll be happy with that.

Too high on protein today... pushing my fats down to 67%. Protein is at 24%. If you're on MFP, you can look and see what I'm consuming today. Ah, nevermind... fixed it. I have to have a Denver Omelet again, but oh well. They're good. I'll pair it with a side salad as an avenue for a tbsp olive oil (my own that I keep in my purse). That changes my macros to 72% fat, 21% protein and 7% carbs. Good deal. Overall for the week, my percentages look good: 72% fat, 21% protein and 7% carbs... hmmm... suspiciously like today. lol

I'm looking into starting one of my other goals - the one about reducing stress by working harder to maintain my home. I was on the Flylady website today (she's started sending emails again) and it got me inspired. I think I want the rubba scrubba (a rubber scrub brush she endorses). The brush I'm using right now for dishes as getting flattened and not working as well as I would like. I wonder how the rubba scrubba would hold up to burned on stuff... I have one in my cart at the Flylady site, but haven't committed to it yet.

Drinking some Herb Ox... this stuff seriously needs salt. I think I'll look for a different brand next time. The sodium free thing is not my cup of tea (haha, see what I did there?)

I ordered the Peace, Love and Low Carb cookbook. I ordered the ebook hoping to print it out (it's color whereas the paperbook version is not - to keep the costs low, she said). So, I ordered it thinking it was an immediate download kind of thing... nope, it's a pre-order and won't be available until March 15. *tosseshandsinexasperation* Really? It's electronic! Why can't I have it now??? And the gal who wrote it is VERY bad about getting back to people on emails, facebook questions/comments, and website comments/questions. I'm impressed with her recipes, but not her personally. One thing that has stuck with me was how she responded to a negative comment on her website. Someone said that he/she thought it was a crock that she'd have pictures of a recipe on her blog, but not have the recipe available, stating that you have to buy some cookbook... ok, why have it on your website then? Anyhow, this person said "I'll be unpinning this recipe and unsubscribing" to something or other in relation to the blog. She responded with "well, maybe this is the place for you anyway"... really? How about apologizing and explaining why the recipe is no longer available. If you tell people it's contractually illegal for you to post it, then they'll understand. Stupid and not very professional, in my opinion.

Went to our local hippy store to get some vitex yesterday. They want freaking $17 for 60 pills! Wow... Amazon has it for half that price and if I pair it with something else and hit that magical $25 threshold, I'll get the shipping for free. I'll have to wait forEVER to get it, but what's another 7-10 days? I think I'll go ahead and order them tomorrow. I'll toss in my cordless drill attachment that pulls weeds too. I so want one of those things. Then I can pull weeds without fear of encountering a massive wolf spider. *shudder*

Boss leaves for Killeen, TX tomorrow to bury his brother, age 55. I feel badly for him. If you're in Killeen, drop a salute for a fallen retired solider.

And since I don't want to end on a sad note, Brad says he likes the kitchen I like (the one in the log cabin). I hope we can get our crap in gear, get some stuff paid off and then do it. Quickly!

Pebbles67 is online now Senior Member
    Hey girl, I hope you get a good number tomorrow as well.

On a side note, the bouillon is supposed to be regular, not low salt. I realize that the salt does skew the scale numbers. The good news is that with 2 weeks clean, I only have to drink it once in a while.

God, I so want to redo our kitchen. Every drawer is broken and the brown laminate is just ugly.

Flylady is my hero. I often use her 15 min philosophy when I don't feel like doing anything around the house. I have the feather dusters, timers and the office in a bag.

I called this morning to register Makenna for 3 year old preschool. I was told there were "still spots available", but now I'm being told that there is a list and the first 8 people who called will get in the class. So, I called the school to see where I was on the list and they won't tell me. So, I guess I don't know if she's going to be attending preschool this fall or not. I hope she made it. I finally go through at 7:15 this morning (called 58 freaking times and got a busy signal 57 of them). I hope she got in.

Saw 186 on the scale again. 11 total pounds lost for January.

I'm really kind of bummed about this preschool thing. I thought she was in. When someone says "yep, she's in" it makes you think she's enrolled and has a spot in the class, not that she's "on the list". Hopefully Heather was telling me the truth and she's actually in the class. I really really really want her in 3 year old preschool. I think it just better prepares them for school.

So, given that I'm bummed about the whole preschool thing, I'll go do some journal reading and come back here when I'm in a more optimistic mood.

Oh, and Pebbles, the MSG and Sodium free was the only option for Herb Ox at the grocery store. I add two packets of salt to it, so it's probably ok in the long run.

I just found out that as a federal employee, if I remain in federal service for 10 years, and make timely income-based monthly payments on my student loans, the remaining balance will be forgiven by the federal government after 120 payments.

Currently, my student loan balance is $52,000. This forgiveness would save me $33,000 (not including any interest savings) at my current repayment rate. BUT, I would have to remain a federal, state or county government employee for a minimum of 10 years, consecutively (as in no breaks in service to work other jobs). Which means no jobs at John Deere or anywhere else that might seem appealing right now or in the future. Don't get me wrong... I like being a government employee - it definitely has it's perks - but that doesn't mean there isn't something else out there for me somewhere that would make me happier and give me better fulfillment, and if I want to do this, I can't do that. There would be no contract to sign or anything like that - and if I don't work the full 10 years, there's no penalty except the loss of the forgiveness...

This sounds like an AMAZING deal, but at the same time, I'm looking to get OUT of debt so we are free to live our lives how we want... this would guarantee me at least 10 more years of debt. I could snowball the whole $52,000 in fewer than 10 years. Additionally, no additional payments could be made - only one payment per month.

What do you guys suggest?

canio6 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jenn26point2 View Post
    I just found out that as a federal employee, if I remain in federal service for 10 years, and make timely income-based monthly payments on my student loans, the remaining balance will be forgiven by the federal government after 120 payments.
    source please. That is awesome news.

As for advice, I think it depends on what makes you happy. If snowballing it will cost you less than paying the portion you would usually pay over the 10 year period then it makes sense. If not, I'd pay it down over ten years. That is basically $33,000 free money for doing it that way. As for staying a gov't employee, that again depends on happiness and pay level. I'd seriously consider jumping ship for a comparable paying job just based on job satisfaction or dissatisfaction in this case.

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Honestly, as overqualified for your position and unhappy with your position as you are, in addition to being able to get out quicker than have them forgive, I'd say split the difference. Keep making the maximum payment you're allowed to under the forgiveness rules, but sock back any money you'd snowball towards it, effectively having your steak and eating it too. If you end up with another job, pony up the socked up snowball money toward it. It you end up getting it forgiven, the socked away snowball money can go towards another one.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by canio6 View Post
    source please. That is awesome news.

As for advice, I think it depends on what makes you happy. If snowballing it will cost you less than paying the portion you would usually pay over the 10 year period then it makes sense. If not, I'd pay it down over ten years. That is basically $33,000 free money for doing it that way. As for staying a gov't employee, that again depends on happiness and pay level. I'd seriously consider jumping ship for a comparable paying job just based on job satisfaction or dissatisfaction in this case.
    John, I called FedLoan Servicing today b/c I got a "repayment schedule" in my email - I'm due to start repaying in May after I graduate from my master's program. When I complained about the payment, she gave me these options (original payment was almost 3x what I'm eligible to pay based on income). Number if you want to call them: 1-800-699-2908. She said any previous payments could be applied to the 120 payments as well, so if you've been paying for a number of years, they may qualify you to be forgiven sooner.

Quote Originally Posted by naiadknight View Post
    Honestly, as overqualified for your position and unhappy with your position as you are, in addition to being able to get out quicker than have them forgive, I'd say split the difference. Keep making the maximum payment you're allowed to under the forgiveness rules, but sock back any money you'd snowball towards it, effectively having your steak and eating it too. If you end up with another job, pony up the socked up snowball money toward it. It you end up getting it forgiven, the socked away snowball money can go towards another one.
    I think I would be ok working here on the Island for 10 years if I was doing a different job... and that is entirely possible before the 10 years is up - I just have to remain working in the service industry for 10 years - so I could go to a county job or a state job, or remain in the federal system... if I have to sit at this desk for the next 10 years, no way... If I can do different work, sign me up.

Someone else (on the Dave Ramsey facebook page) made the same suggestion about socking away the money I would have snowballed just in case I bail on the federal system and take a job in the private sector... I kind of thought about snowballing my mortgage instead... i suppose either are wise choices.