Page 221 of 557 FirstFirst ... 121171211219220221222223231271321 ... LastLast
Results 2,201 to 2,210 of 5569

Thread: My Journey from Sugar Burner to Fat Burner - jenn26point2's Primal Journal page 221

tomi is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Jenn --- Hope today is SPOT ON for you and you can get back into ketosis in a couple days.

I'm struggling with some bloat - 4 pounds worth! Not sure what caused it - unless it was just the rum over the weekend. But the scales are back up to 183 - which totally pisses me off! I'm hoping if I eat carefully and stay off the salt for the rest of the week I will see it back down by Friday. *crossingfingers-andtoes-andeyes*

I think the suggestion to have an observer in Brady's classroom is a good idea too. Do they allow parent helpers for part of a day? Maybe if you know another mom or dad in your class who would be willing to "spy" for you for a couple hours? I think all classrooms should have webcams so parents can observe at will!
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tomi View Post
    Jenn --- Hope today is SPOT ON for you and you can get back into ketosis in a couple days.

I'm struggling with some bloat - 4 pounds worth! Not sure what caused it - unless it was just the rum over the weekend. But the scales are back up to 183 - which totally pisses me off! I'm hoping if I eat carefully and stay off the salt for the rest of the week I will see it back down by Friday. *crossingfingers-andtoes-andeyes*
    Alcohol causes inflammation so if you're a good girl the weight should come off quickly, I would think.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

tomi is offline Senior Member
    Yes - I will be a good girl! Back to my New Years Resolution!
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

Here is the thesis topic I proposed to my professors. My eye twitches every time I think of this silly paper... lol I think once the proposal is approved, the twitching will stop and I can start focusing on just writing the danged thing. 15 weeks remain...

Problem: Organizations fail without strategic vision and action.

Discussion Topic One: The use of framing in decision making.

Discussion Topic Two: The use of communication in employee buy-in.

Discussoin Topic Three: The use of strategic planning to turn visions into reality.

Proposition One: Leaders use framing techniques when choosing a strategic path for their organization.

Proposition Two: Leaders articulate an inspiring strategic vision to their workforce.

Proposition Three: Leaders implement the necessary course of action to bring their vision to life.

gostate05 is offline Junior Member
    Hi Jenn! I've been lurking on your journal for awhile and I love it because I struggle with a lot of the challenges you have (and I also think you're funny as hell ). I wanted to chime in on the issues Brady is having at school. I'm a school counselor working with emotionally/behaviorally disturbed kids (not that I think Brady fits that category!) so I have a little experience with kids who have behavior challenges in school.

The program that I work for uses an incentive-based system like the color one Brady is on. It does work really well, but for two reasons:
    1) There are rewards tied to a kid's level. For example, a kid on the best level can play video games during free time, while a student on the lowest level has to read quietly or do homework. From what you've said, I don't know if Brady's school does anything like this? Especially at his age, without a reward or consequence going along with his level it's going to be hard to get him to follow that system.

2) There are specific rules that make you lose points (lose enough points and you drop a level). If you talk when you aren't supposed to, you lose a point. If you get up out of your seat without asking, you lose a point. But the kids don't lose points for things not covered by the rules (like Brady getting in trouble for removing his birthday crown - what the heck is that about?) It seems like Brady's teacher is subjectively evaluating the kids and that is not fair.

I also agree with what another poster said a couple pages ago - see if you can get the school psychologist to evaluate Brady. They can do a behavior assessment (sitting & observing him in his classroom) and then from there determine any sort of changes that can help him.

And if you want some resources, I love Parenting with Love & Logic (loveandlogic.com). Their website has free resources for parents & teachers, plus they have books and DVDs that you can buy through Amazon.

Anyway, it sounds like you are doing a great job with Brady. Don't let one mean teacher get you down. The most important thing is that Brady has parents who love & care for him and who are involved in his education - that is definitely not a common thing!!

gostate05, thank you for your input. I do appreciate it.

The color system the school uses does not offer incentives. If you break the rules, you lose a color. If you reach red, you have a time out in the hallway, or time with the principal depending on the severity of the crime (for instance, hitting a friend is an immediate red and you go to the principal's office).

We had our conference with the teacher last night. She didn't knock our parenting style and she didn't tell us we were doing anything wrong. She simply stated things we knew to be true - Brady needs constant redirection and reminders of the rules. He is always active and never sits still. Because he is always moving around and getting distracted, he is a disruption for the entire class.

She said he does VERY well in small groups (6 or fewer kids). She said he scores above average on all of the tests she administers (yesterday was a test day and while she's not supposed to show us his scores, she did and noted that each of them was "above average" academically. She said she's got 4 reading groups and he's in the highest one. She said the time of the day that he is his best behaved and most attentive is during reading and math.

She said it seems like he's always trying to be the center of attention. For instance, she said that she commented that a student had gotten new shoes and Brady came up and said "I got a new shirt! See!" She said there are times when he's being an excellently behaved child and she'll use him as the model and say "everyone needs to sit like Brady" and not 10 minutes later, he'll be acting out. It's almost like she gave him attention, it felt really really good, and once that attention was gone, he had to do something else to get the attention back.

She said he has been an excellent little boy at lunch this week. Instead of packing him a cold lunch, I have been allowing him to eat school lunch. I guess he's loving it... which is good and bad at the same time.

She said under NO circumstances does she agree with medicating children (whew! That's what we thought she was going to suggest), but he is a very active child. We came to no conclusions last night other than to try to provide him with more positive attention at home as well as school. If he does something very well, she said she gives him a thumbs up or remarks how behaved he is being. We are going to do the same at home. This morning, he got in the car and strapped in without being told to, so I told him that was very good and I appreciated that behavior. I almost wonder if ignoring his poor behavior will work - like if we don't acknowledge it, if he'll stop doing it??

We are also going to keep the computers off at night until after the kids go to sleep - which will be a slight problem for me considering I have a thesis to write... but we'll work on that.

Anyhow, we are going back to no dairy - probably starting next week. After allowing him to eat unrestricted the last week, his dad has finally noticed that there was a change when we cut milk. So we're going to do that again. Of course, that means cold lunches again... not sure how that'll effect his lunch time. But, we'll do sandwiches or something to hopefully keep him occupied. He's got a love for pb&j like all kids.

So... that's what happened yesterday at the teacher conference. No one has any solutions, just concerns. Hopefully he starts to settle down as we provide him with more positive attention.

Pebbles67 is online now Senior Member
    I'm glad it was a positive meeting, just keep trying. My seven yr old is always trying to push the limits. Once we settle on some plan, he seems to come up with new mischief. Now he is hitting and saying the F word at school. Good thing I like his teacher and she is patient.

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    I hesitate to make this comparison, because I know it can be apples and orange. I know with any reasonably intelligent and trainable animal (dog, horse, dolphin, etc), it can work better to praise the positive (within reason, you don't want them to become "bored" with the praise) and ignore the negative (again, within reason, if it's particularly bad, you point it out as undesirable.)
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Quote Originally Posted by naiadknight View Post
    I hesitate to make this comparison, because I know it can be apples and orange. I know with any reasonably intelligent and trainable animal (dog, horse, dolphin, etc), it can work better to praise the positive (within reason, you don't want them to become "bored" with the praise) and ignore the negative (again, within reason, if it's particularly bad, you point it out as undesirable.)
    That's kind of what I was doing too - comparing him to an animal.

Oh, and I told her that the color system was really upsetting him, that he'd cry when I picked him up b/c he was a bad boy and all his friends can get yellow but he can't and it's not fair, etc, etc, etc. She thanked me for sharing that with her and that she would approach it differently. Given that the color system is a school program and not just something in her classroom that she does as an individual teacher, I think her hands are tied and she has to use it (or a similar system), but I think she's going to approach it differently. She said he already gets numerous warnings before he's told to change his color when the other kids are not - one infraction and they change - Brady gets numerous chances to "make it right" before he's told to change his color. I almost wonder if she needs to stop with the warnings. She mentioned this, but said she's afraid he'd cycle through the color system multiple times a day, and even that would invalidate the color system and not create any improvements.

I love his exuberance and his extroversion, but I really wish he'd settle down, follow the rules and not create so many distractions for the rest of the class.

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    How many warnings does he get? Is that fixed or does it vary? If it varies, as opposed to "3 strikes and you're out", he may not realize it's actually a looming threat and the teacher's just hot air until it DOES happen. It's almost like he's only being punished randomly, so he can't figure out what the infraction is that causes it. Even if he knows the rules, he needs direct tie of "This misbehavior ALWAYS causes this action" and "this positive behavior ALWAYS gets me this reward," or it can't sink in. It's how humans are wired.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome