Page 217 of 551 FirstFirst ... 117167207215216217218219227267317 ... LastLast
Results 2,161 to 2,170 of 5505

Thread: My Journey from Sugar Burner to Fat Burner - jenn26point2's Primal Journal page 217

Shop Now
    If the teacher wants to cultivate a bunch of sheep, she should have been a farmer...

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Most intelligent kids I've known rebelled when someone tried to shove them into a slot that didn't fit them. The harder the authority shoved, the more they rebelled.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    You mentioned 5-HTP somewhere.

The Mood Cure: The 4-Step Program to Take Charge of Your Emotions-Today - Julia Ross - Google Books

Excerpt from "The Mood Cure". I think the whole thing is worth reading. Some of the information about supplement availability is outdated (Tryptophan and 5-HTP are relatively easy to find now, I can get 5-HTP at Shaw's).

I'd say start at 50mg (not timed released form) on an afternoon you can afford to get a bit sleepy. If you don't get sleepy from it, keep it at that time. If you don't notice any mood improvements in a few days, add another capsule with dinner. Repeat as needed. She says you can take up to 300mg, but I don't think you'd need that much since your mood has been good. It may just be lack of sleep right now, but I like to think it helps your body recover faster if you give it some help for a little while.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    You mentioned 5-HTP somewhere.

The Mood Cure: The 4-Step Program to Take Charge of Your Emotions-Today - Julia Ross - Google Books

Excerpt from "The Mood Cure". I think the whole thing is worth reading. Some of the information about supplement availability is outdated (Tryptophan and 5-HTP are relatively easy to find now, I can get 5-HTP at Shaw's).

I'd say start at 50mg (not timed released form) on an afternoon you can afford to get a bit sleepy. If you don't get sleepy from it, keep it at that time. If you don't notice any mood improvements in a few days, add another capsule with dinner. Repeat as needed. She says you can take up to 300mg, but I don't think you'd need that much since your mood has been good. It may just be lack of sleep right now, but I like to think it helps your body recover faster if you give it some help for a little while.
    I mentioned it on your journal. Thanks for the response.

When and why do you take the tryptophan? I will stop at the store and get some 5HTP today. I will be getting dinner from the grocery store and happened to see one day that they carry 5HTP as well. Do you recommend I wait til tomorrow to take it, or would 5 pm tonight be ok?
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

In reading the exerpt you sent, I am so excited to try it! I might skip lunch to go to the store and get it now instead of waiting til later tonight. I just want to feel happy again. Like I used to.

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Jenn-

Reading through your email there were a couple of things besides what Pebbles mentioned that I thought were worth bringing up.

In paragraph 3 you note that in his previous daycare he had no issues, but then in paragraph 4 you say he had to be separated and taught to read because he was bored and disruptive. I think a defensive teacher might jump on this, rather than note it as a solution to normal cause and effect(bored-->disruptive) behavior, so you might like to change your phrasing.

And in paragraph 4, I think your lead sentence might be viewed as confrontational. You might want to move it to the end of the paragraph. Which i think should break after "...Mrs. Holliday." to keep your various points distinct.

I would also suggest copying the principal/team lead with whatever you send or bring with you to the meeting. It is amazing what knowledge that other eyes are seeing it can do for some people's attitude.

Good luck. This is a rough situation.

On a personal note, I have to whole-heartedly agree that some of the things he had his color changed for seem ridiculous. And what agony for him to be upset to the point of tears over all this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sabine View Post
    Jenn-

Reading through your email there were a couple of things besides what Pebbles mentioned that I thought were worth bringing up.

In paragraph 3 you note that in his previous daycare he had no issues, but then in paragraph 4 you say he had to be separated and taught to read because he was bored and disruptive. I think a defensive teacher might jump on this, rather than note it as a solution to normal cause and effect(bored-->disruptive) behavior, so you might like to change your phrasing.
    Preschool and daycare are different. He went to a daycare prior to attending preschool. He was an angel at daycare, but disruptive at the start of preschool b/c they were going over things he already knew b/c of the education they were giving him at the daycare.

Quote Originally Posted by Sabine View Post
    And in paragraph 4, I think your lead sentence might be viewed as confrontational. You might want to move it to the end of the paragraph. Which i think should break after "...Mrs. Holliday." to keep your various points distinct.

I would also suggest copying the principal/team lead with whatever you send or bring with you to the meeting. It is amazing what knowledge that other eyes are seeing it can do for some people's attitude.
    I probably won't even take it/send it. Our meeting is with her on Tuesday evening at 5:30. I'm sure it'll be the typical "your kid is unruly b/c you don't parent right" sessions we've had with her in the past. Joyous occasions. Although, this time I think Brad might get a bit confrontational as he's pretty much had it with her.

I just took the quizes here

This is how I scored:

Low Serotonin quiz - my score: 28 (if more than 12, blah blah blah)
    Low norepinephrin quiz - my score: 14 (if more than 6, blah blah blah)
    Low Gaba/Cortisol quiz - my score: 10 (if more than 8, blah blah blah)
    Low endorphin quiz - my score: 6 (if more than 6, blah blah blah)

I'm going to go to the hippy store here in a bit to pick up some 5-HTP. I'm going to look and see if they have a paperback version of The Mood Cure there. If they don't, I'll order it from Amazon. Amazon has the paperback version for $2 less than the Kindle version (seems backwards...)

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    I would recommend the paperback version anyway. I highlighted a lot in my digital version (would loan to you, but I don't see to have that ability with my Kindle purchases anymore, or maybe that book never did) so I could refer to things later. I find it easier to flip through a book.

I tried Tryptophan for a little while. I took at in the morning (I think the book says to take it then). I felt like it worked pretty well, but only for a little while (a few weeks). 5-HTP works better for me. The book recommends starting with 5-HTP and then trying Tryptophan instead if it doesn't seem to help. Then St. John's Wort, then sam-e.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Oh Jenn that is not good. I hate punishment and reward systems like that and don't believe they are needed Its one reason I am not looking forward to school for my oldest. it sucks for your little man. The diet changes probably will just take time to kick in too. Def bring all that up with the teacher ASAP.
    I have a couple of suggestions for books for you.
    Unconditional parenting - Alfie Kohn
    Aha! Parenting - Dr. Laura Markham > Welcome! - This woman has a book too. Peaceful Parent, Happy Kids it has really helped me a lot, and its about why kids do things. Well worth the read, but I think the website has tons of info too.
    I really hope things are able to turn around for you soon. Especially on the sleep front.
    Thinking of you.