Page 210 of 578 FirstFirst ... 110160200208209210211212220260310 ... LastLast
Results 2,091 to 2,100 of 5779

Thread: My Journey from Sugar Burner to Fat Burner - jenn26point2's Primal Journal page 210

KimT is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    The supplement conversation reminds me of one of our jokes. My husband and I were on a lot of the same supplements for a while, so he would put mine out on the counter, since he left the house before me. I used to tell people if I died of strange circumstances to do an autopsy, because he may be poisoning me slowly with my vitamins.

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KimT View Post
    The supplement conversation reminds me of one of our jokes. My husband and I were on a lot of the same supplements for a while, so he would put mine out on the counter, since he left the house before me. I used to tell people if I died of strange circumstances to do an autopsy, because he may be poisoning me slowly with my vitamins.
    ^lol
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

wow... it is not fair how many calories are in cheese...

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    LOL at that convo.

Does Dave Ramsey have a book? Id love to try some of his stuff. My husband hates not having money left in the bank, thankfully it happens less than it used to, but what does he suggest you do with it? Pay it on to something else?

Dave Ramsey is a debt and financial management expert.

His recommendation is that each time you get paid, a certain amount be paid to you - i.e. emergency fund, retirement, savings, etc.

Everything else is to go to debts to get them paid off. He calls it the Debt Snowball. His approach works.

Except, right now, our debts are so high, I am contributing NOTHING to my retirement or our emergency fund.

He has a great program set up and it works beautifully if you do it the way he prescribes. Brad and I don't.

1st order of business is to stop creating debt. To do so, you have to sell everything you can to sock away $1,000 in a baby emergency fund. This is supposed to take the place of "emergencies only credit cards". Then you shred your credit cards. And sell whatever debts you can - if you owe more than 6 months on your car, you're supposed to sell it and buy something with cash so you don't have a debt on your car. He said to buy clunkers b/c that's what the $1,000 is for - to buy new clunkers when your current clunker goes to shit or to fix your clunker if it breaks down. This is a temporary thing - meant only for as long as it takes to get out of debt (not including your mortgage). Brad and I have never done this, which is probably why we're still working so hard to keep our head above water.

2nd, you have to have a budget that leaves you with zero dollars in your account each pay period. So, you would set aside some for groceries, some for transportation (i.e. gas, maintenance, etc), housing, clothing and "blow money" (money to be spent on whatever the hell you want to spend it on - like an allowance). These are the 4 walls of our "financial house" Food, Transportation, Housing and Clothing (I think clothing is one, anyway). Then the rest goes to debts (most people have retirement and whatnot pulled from their salary, so this is not usually something you have to consciously save for - but I don't have any 401k withholdings in place right now and don't know when I'll be able to set them up b/c we rely on every dollar I get).

3rd, you sock ever free dollar towards your debts, paying the minimum on all. You find your smallest debt (not the one with the highest interest, but the smallest balance) and pay whatever extra you have after budgetting and paying your minimums to that debt. Once that is paid off, you take whatever you were paying on that debt and apply it to the next smallest debt, continuing this process until all debts except your house are paid off. This is called a debt snowball.

4th, after paying off all debts except house, you build a 3-6 month emergency fund. This fund totals up to 3-6 months take home pay - in case someone were to lose their job, you have 6 months to find another.

Then you work on saving for the future - retirement, kids' college, etc.

After that is done, you snowball your house.

Here is a link to the "steps". Real Debt Help - Get out of debt with Dave Ramsey's Total Money Makeover Plan - daveramsey.com Dave has a great system in place and an awesome website with all of his podcasts. He has a show on some radio station (NPR probably) and software you can use to guide you through the process.

Brad and I are babystepping the baby steps. Presently, I am trying to save up an emergency fund of one pay-period's worth of pay in case I'm furloughed this spring, as well as snowballing at the same time b/c some of our debts will be due in full VERY soon (Brad tends to get 6 month notes where no payment is due until the 6 month mark at which time the balance is due. We have two of these right now - one for $1750 and one for $1,000 - both for the effing race car).

ANYHOW, I hope some of this helps you and you can find your way to financial freedom like so many before us have with this program.

Oh, and yes he has two books at least:

Total Money Makeover
    Financial Peace University

Both books are excellent and are extraordinarily helpful in making financial plans.

Thanks Jenn!
    Will do some reading today.
    Thankfully we have no CC now, and only have $480 left on the car loan we had (we paid out the lease after DH left his old job 18 months or so ago).
    I used to buy lots of "stuff" but thankfully stopped doing that.
    The big things we have is our mortgage ($285 k), and my course ($22k).

Will be exciting to sort our money out a bit better. I do have a pretty strict budget I am sticking to, so should be good

The general rule is that every dollar you earn has a job. It's just must be to provide food, housing, transportation, pay off debt, etc, etc, etc. Give each dollar a job and he says it will help you better manage it. Brad and I argue a lot b/c I have Dave Ramsey's approach built into our budget so there is literally ZERO dollars to play with each week. This makes him angry b/c he doesn't have any money to spend - which is wrong b/c he has his blow money each week ($25 a piece or $50 for both of us).

If we follow the budget and STOP CREATING MORE DEBT we can be debt free, except for house and student loans, by February 2016. But, he keeps taking more debt, and either I let him or life is very unhappy for us b/c then he's always pouting and crabbing about not being able to do anything he wants to do.

of course, he's not on the same page as me b/c he won't take the time to look at our budget, learn how it works, or see the big picture. All he sees is that right now he has no dollars to spend. it's the same way with the paleo lifestyle. He only looks at what he can't have right now instead of looking at what life could be like later. This is why he's good at factory maintenance - others tell him what to do, no future vision required.

I found out my SIL and MIL are using some kind of "green coffee bean extract" that Dr. Oz touted on tv... please... Dr. Oz is a fence jumper! The first time something "new and shiny" comes along, he jumps from whatever he's on now to that...

I also heard a commercial this afternoon for Raspberry Ketones... also endorsed by Dr. Oz... really? Why do I need Raspberry ketones when I can create my own??

And why would I want to take a pill to lose weight when I have found my golden ticket? My SIL lost a lot of weight doing paleo too - no clue why she gave it up. MIL said she was bored... *eyeroll* whatev. There is nothing boring about paleo. Shit - just look at all the recipes out there! There are just as many recipes floating around on the web for paleo foods as there are for CW foods. Makes me sad, really.

Grr how frustrating for you! Hope you can get through to him.
    Thankfully my husband just doesn't spend. And I manage the money, he doesn't even worry about logging into the bank or anything like that. He doesn't even know the password LOL But it works for us. He used to get so mad at all my spending and I don't blame him. This year if we need anything will be trying to buy used first (except clothing).W

What kinds of things does your husband want to buy? (lunches and stuff?) I try to make sure there is always leftovers for my husband to take. Fruit is supplied at work, and on Weds they get lunch too. He has been really good with going primal. Occasionally he will have rice with a thai curry or something with the lunch they buy for them. But he does not eat breads and rarely refined sugar.