Page 202 of 580 FirstFirst ... 102152192200201202203204212252302 ... LastLast
Results 2,011 to 2,020 of 5796

Thread: My Journey from Sugar Burner to Fat Burner - jenn26point2's Primal Journal page 202

InSearchOfAbs is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by jenn26point2 View Post
    I tried guac at a mexican restaurant once. It was pretty bland and tasteless - it made me wonder what the point was behind it. I can see the point for US, but not as a condiment b/c it was seriously pointless to me. It didn't add anything to the nachos I was eating.

I figured if I chopped it up and added it to my egg salad it would blend right in texture-wise, and since it was pretty tasteless as a guac, I didn't figure it would affect my egg salad much. But maybe I'm fooling myself.

No salad fixin's at home, so not going to be used as a salad topper... At least not this week. And I'm not really a big salad eater unless we're going out and it comes as a side dish. I'd almost like to mix it in with foods, to be perfectly honest with you.
    Hi Jenn! Didn't want to muck up your guys' thread with my ramblings so I brought it back here.

Anyway, guac at Mexican restaurants ALWAYS SUCKS ASS. ALWAYS! And I have zero clue why.

Maybe the authentic way of making it is the bland way, cuz every single place I've been, MAKES it like
    that.

Like they just mash up the avocados and then sprinkle some of that white cheese stuff on top and
    then charge you 8 bucks for it.

And I live in California and there is a Mexican restaurant on just about every corner.

SO, *MY* super secret way of livening guacamole up is as follows:

3 Avocadoes
    Mash with masher to desired consistency.
    Dice up half an onion (if you like them), throw it in the bowl.
    Press 3 LARGE cloves of garlic, put that in there too
    Dice up a tomato - throw 'er in
    Garlic salt to taste and pepper too (if you like either or both)

But the super duper secret ingredient is SALSA, and not that crap ass spaghetti
    sauce tasting type like Pace or La Victoria. I use Casa Sanchez from the refrigerator
    section in the grocery store (or the grocery store's fresh made stuff in the same section)
    OR, Herdez brand from the jar or the can in the salsa aisle with the rest of the hispanic
    stuff.

Just pour the salsa in the guac slop a little at a time, mix it around and keep trying it.

When it starts to taste the way you THOUGHT it would in a Mexican restaurant, you've won!

It is absolutely FARKING DELICIOUS on top of steak, or bites of chicken.....aaaaaaah, it's making
    me drool just thinking about it.

Anyway, good luck and happy new year!

Julie

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    Guac recipes that I've seen always include a splash of lime or lemon juice to give it a little zing. My favorite kind of guac is a mix of salsa and guac, and yeah, it's tasty on everything .
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

InSearchOfAbs is offline Senior Member
    True! But don't put too much or the whole thing just tastes like lemon babyfood. Blech. Askmehowiknow...

ALSO, sometimes a packet of red pepper flakes (c'mon, you know you have some left over from the pizza days!)
    makes it NICE AND HOT, too... forgot about that.

JudyCr is offline Senior Member
    That looks like it would be delish!!
    Thx, insearch, making it tomorrow.

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    I saw a seasoning packet for guacamole at the grocery store... Just curious what spices are in that...

Your recipe with the onion and salsa sounds pretty good. I'll have to try it.

Eating my soup. It needs something, but I don't know what... Here are the ingredients:

Chicken - lots
    carrots
    cabbage (both red and green)
    celery
    kale
    parsley
    bay leaf
    garlic

Broth was made with same chicken as the soup, carrots and onion (which were both strained off), pepper and olive oil. It's edible, but the broth tastes weak.

Went to the gym. Did the following workout:

Body squats (2 sets of 10)
    Body rows (2 sets of 10)
    Elevated pushups (2 sets of 10)
    Lunges (2 sets of 10 per leg)
    Box steps (2 sets of 20 per leg)
    Bridges (2 sets of 20)
    Hydrant leg raises (2 sets of 20 per leg)

Then I did some stretching b/c my IT band is really tight and makes my knee hurt, and did some foam rolling. I did it circuit training style so that I was constantly in motion.

Now my tummy feels vacated and I feel hypoglycemic, which would be expected out of a cardio workout, not what I did above. Expecting to be sore tomorrow.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    Could be from the sugar lately. Your body may be using carbs for fuel right now, and you just sapped it. I'm guessing.

Silly question, did you add salt & pepper to the soup/broth?
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

I added some salt, but not sure how much. I didn't want to over salt the soup. Added more as I was eating it.

I added pepper to the broth. I was going to make something else that called for chicken that we generously peppered, then decided to do something else, so I tossed the chicken into the crockpot with some carrots, onions, water and olive oil (was sauteing the onion and carrot).

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Mine came from my (not legal at the time) neighbors.
    3 'cados
    1/2 lime's juice
    enough pico de gallo to make it taste good
    Mash it all together, leave it chunky.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

JudyCr is offline Senior Member
    Insearch, I found these on amazon; which do you like best?
    Amazon.com: herdez salsa: Grocery & Gourmet Food

Looked up that seasoning mix I saw at the store, just out of curiosity... Here is what I found it contains:

INGREDIENTS DEHYDRATED VEGETABLES (ONION, GARLIC, TOMATO, JALAPENO PEPPER, CILANTRO), MALTODEXTRIN, SALT, YEAST EXTRACT, NATURAL FLAVOR.

So, it's salsa with a corn product, yeast, and "natural flavor"... I'll make some tonight (using the salsa method, not the seasoning pack method... too much yucky stuff in there) and test it out on some corn chips.