Page 172 of 593 FirstFirst ... 72122162170171172173174182222272 ... LastLast
Results 1,711 to 1,720 of 5927

Thread: My Journey from Sugar Burner to Fat Burner - jenn26point2's Primal Journal page 172

geostump is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Baconnaise is uber easy! Just make sure to let it set up in the fridge overnight. Good stuff
    Georgette

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    I made deviled eggs with homemade mayo... I used a recipe in Eat Like a Dinosaur. It called for vinegar, lemon juice, egg yolks, 1/4 cup olive oil and 1/2 cup coconut oil. It didn't really taste that much like the mayo I'm used to, but I trusted it.

When I made the eggs, though, I left out the vinegar since there was already some in the mayo. But overdid it on the mustard. They were fine, but the mustard was strong.

Anyhow, the mayo set up like a Jello cheesecake in the fridge. It was less creamy and more solidified. I ended up adding a lot of water to the egg mixture to make it useable. They were good though. I'll definitely make them again. Probably later this week to take to my dad's on Thursday.

Weekend was nice. I ate bad things yesterday - gluten!! Brady's gluten free test came to an abrupt and unplanned end... I was busy doing something with Makenna and someone else tended to Brady, who asked for a brownie... before I realized what had happened, he had eaten a brownie... We had gone exactly 30 days gluten free... sadly, no marked change in his behavior, so the next step is to continue on as gluten-free as possible and also eliminate dairy. We will start that on Sunday. I will pick him up some almond milk. The Paleo Parents said it took two weeks for them to notice any marked change in their sons' behaviors when they removed milk. We will see how it goes. I'm a bit intimidated by the dairy free thing given that there is dairy in almost everything, just like with gluten...

Do you suppose I can make brownies and what not with ghee? There's a couple of birthdays coming up in Brady's class... I wonder how Gabriel's mom does it. Gabriel is a boy in Brady's class who had all sorts of upper respiratory infections. After a year of fighting infections, a brilliant doctor he saw tested him for allergies. He had a casein allergy. Since they eliminated milk, his infections have disappeared. I wonder how she handles the birthday parties and what not. I'll have to email her.

Anyhow. I didn't weigh myself after yesterdays overstuffing feast. At least two of the next three meals will be paleo/gluten-free friendly. Of course, MIL is serving deer and noodles or ham and cheese sandwiches... really??? WTF? She's got 2 guests that are as gluten free as possible (me and Brady) and her own daughter who is trying to live the paleo lifestyle (not nearly as stringently as any of us). You'd think she'd be more considerate when planning her meal. Even my MOM who has no reason to do so is making dinner rolls from rice flour!! My stepmom asked me if I can eat sweet potatoes, corn casserole, etc and is doing what she understands to be right (well, they're both aiming for gluten free, not necessarily paleo - it's a start. ). Surely, MIL who has dabbled with paleo would be a bit more accommodating, but she's (and her sister - whose house we went to yesterday) have been the least accommodating.

Seriously, yesterday was a fiasco... This was the menu: chicken and noodles, instant mashed potatoes, corn, dinner rolls, some kind of orange jello salad, apple salad with snickers, coconut custard, french silk pie, lemon supreme pie (think Village Inn Lemon Supreme, only homemade), and brownies... oh, and my deviled eggs - the ONLY paleo friendly food there. It was a disaster! Oh well...

I'm fairly certain Mom's and Stepmom's meals won't be so disasterous for my goals.

Oh and I am broke out EVERYWHERE!!! OMG! HUGE zit popped up overnight on my brow next to my left eye. I have a new one popping out on my chin. And then there are the "under" the skin ones that you can't see but can feel. I feel like a before pic for a Proactive commercial!! I can't wait until the 25th when I can start my Whole30... Seriously. I've never been so interested in starting something so restrictive... And what's weird is that this time it's not about the weight loss (well, it is, but that's taking a backseat). I am more interested in clearing up my skin!!

Getting hungry now, so I'm gonna warm up my eggs and bacon and peruse the site while eating. Have a nice day everyone.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

namelesswonder is offline Senior Member
    Some Googling tells me that with ghee, you might need to add more liquid, or you might have an oilier result. Brownies would be more chewy than flaky, for example. Not necessarily bad, but definitely different. Is coconut oil or palm shortening not an option?
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

I don't know... I guess it could be. Maybe I should just google a dairy free brownie or cake recipe.

But then again, since the gluten free test is over, maybe I can quit being so 'all or nothing' about it and just keep him dairy and gluten free as much as possible and allow for those instances at school. Surely one day won't matter in the grand scheme of things. I mean, if he has reactions to milk, it'll be a forever thing and one or two days a month won't end his life - just make him really naughty for a few days, right? And it's not like it's a life or death thing - just a behavioral thing... so what if he has a couple naughty days a month b/c someone had a birthday and he participated, right?

I'll have to research it some more. Still need to email Gabriel's mom too and see how she handles those days.

namelesswonder is offline Senior Member
    Personally, I think it'd be easier to control the experiment if you continue to keep gluten out of the picture. An occasional mistake wouldn't be so bad, but I wouldn't reintroduce anything intentionally. In the long term, aren't you hoping to have the family gluten-free anyway? I feel like it would be confusing for him to have things flop back and forth, if that makes sense. But maybe that's just me impressing my own restrictive needs to my own imaginary child heh.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    The writer of "Primal Body, Primal Mind" believes that even slight exposure can prevent the body from healing and even cause further damage. Not sure I believe that but, my body has very adverse reactions to Gluten once I have been off it. Who knows?

The thing about PBPM is that it says you have to go 100% gluten free for 6 months. While I believe that might be true, it is absolutely impossible given the way she described it. She said gluten can remain airborne for quite some time after flour has been used. If that's the case, we'll never be 100% gluten free b/c even our non-gluten-free-but-paleo foods (like steak, burgers, etc) from any place outside my home will be tainted. Our grocery store has a bakery in it. If flour gets airborne, which you know it will when they're slinging bread dough and cookies around, then it'll land on our steaks as they're cutting them off the animal in the back. So, even being mindful of what we're eating, we could still be gluten-contaminated.

Additionally, I just learned this weekend that play-doh, one of my kids' favorite playtime accessories, contains wheat... She said that gluten can enter through the skin... I believe this... but believing this doesn't make it possible to avoid it...

If it can remain airborne for hours and is able to pass into our bodies through our skin, we will never ever ever be truly 100% gluten-free...

However, I do plan to continue the gluten-free diet but also keep dairy out of his diet for a minimum of 2 weeks. Since I'm doing a whole30 after Thanksgiving, he can just join me as a gluten-free, dairy free wing-man.

I'll get him some almond milk so he doesn't feel deprived. Maybe between then and now, I'll mix his milk/almond milk together to ease him into the almond milk. I think he'll make a yucky face when he first tries it... he's weird like that.

Talking with Sabine on her journal about cleaning has prompted the "Oh I wish so badly" anxiety/mourning that takes place when you want something so incredibly bad that it hurts but you know it's impossible to get in the short term and who the hell wants to wait it out in the long term...

This is what I wrote on her journal.

I really really really want a clean house... one that is picked up enough on a regular basis that I can hire a cleaning lady to do the mopping and dusting, toilet and bath scrubbing (*added: although I don't mind doing it myself). But there are constantly toys everywhere, tons of mail to be gone through (when you and your husband go to the dr for regularly scheduled prescriptions, the statements of benefits from the insurance company become overwhelming piles... *added: b/c really... what do you do with them except file them???)

What I need to do is do a little bit every night. But quite honestly, after getting home, dealing with the crazy chaos that ensues when you first get your kids home (Mom! can I watch cartoons? Mom! Can I have some milk? Mom! Can I have a snack? Mom! Can I go outside and play with the dogs... Mom Mom Mom Mom Mom! OMG it's maddening!), then unload the dishwasher that your husband promised to unload when you had your chat weeks ago and he still has yet to unload even once, then load it back up with the dishes that didn't fit and you didn't feel like hand washing last night, then make dinner, then eat dinner, bathe two kids, get two kids in bed, then do dishes AGAIN, I'm flat out tired and don't want to go through the stacks of mail on the counter that make the kitchen look like a hoard in progress.

And then there's Laundry Mountain which no one has tried to scale in weeks sitting atop the dining room table (*added: seriously... there are 5 laundry baskets, all full and overspilling on my dining room table. We haven't been able to use it for a long long LONG time b/c I can't keep up with the damn laundry.)

It seems GP and I have the same problem within our houses. I think we both need a cleaning fairy.

And then there's my sweet, cute, adorable little love button daughter who asks for a strawberry every minute... literally. MOM! more stwawbewwy! I want stwawbewwy!

EVERY.SINGLE.MINUTE!! I swear it. I'd leave them out for her, but she'd take the whole bowl, end up in my bedroom with them (where the 2nd tv is that she is usually stuck watching b/c dad or big brother took the one in the living room), and they'd end up all over my bed or on the carpet...

I just want to get my house cleaned and have the energy/ambition/desire/consistency to KEEP it that way...

But on a brighter note, I did straighten up the toys in the dining room so you can actually SEE the floor now... and it does distract from the dining room table if you live there b/c it's like "ooooh, look at that nice floor!" You're so shocked and in such awe over the beauty of a nice clean floor that you can't look away to see the mountain o' clothes on the table. It's a nice distraction... lol

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Creating a to do list thanks to all this talk about cleaning on everyone's journals... *sigh*

On the list so far:

1. Clear counters of all unnecessary clutter (pitch mail, file stuff that needs filed, etc)
    2. Start folding laundry - seriously? This will take FOREVER!!!
    3. Shred/burn anything that can't be thrown away (this equates to 2 medium size Rubbermaid totes of paper trash that needs to be shredded or burned - it's currently being stored in my pantry - out of sight, out of mind).
    4. Take pictures of the things kids make at school to be scrapbooked instead of keeping the actual artwork... this one is going to be tough for me - throwing away things my kids made...
    5. Finish going through the two laundry baskets of clothes that are too small for the kiddos and do something with it
    6. Go through kids' toys and donate what they don't play with anymore

PURGE PURGE PURGE!!!