Page 14 of 593 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464114514 ... LastLast

Thread: My Journey from Sugar Burner to Fat Burner - jenn26point2's Primal Journal page 14

longing2bfit is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Jenn I love reading your stuff!! I think it's great that you took a chance to help her.. You have a good heart.. I second the going slow to get off meds!! Thanks to eating this way I stopped all of my meds within the last year but I did it slowly and was very careful. I did have some withdrawals from the pain meds and muscle relaxers and anti-anxiety meds, but overall I am so glad to be medication free for the first time in over 20 years!!!!!

Have a great Easter!!

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    DH sent me a text this morning telling me that his digestive system is unhappy with him and cited too many grains this weekend as the culprit. He's coming around!! He had hamburger buns 2x yesterday and some cake at his mom's.

My mother-in-law makes this dish that is a staple for this family. She uses minute rice, cheez whiz (notice, they can't even spell cheese right b/c it's so far from being cheese), cream of mushroom soup and broccoli and mixes it all together. It used to be my favorite dish. Yesterday, I took some b/c it's always been a favorite, but it tasted so off! It didn't taste good at all. I think the "cheese" sauce is what tasted so bad to me. And she overcooks her broccoli too... so I only had a few bites and when I realized I wasn't enjoying it, I stopped eating it.

Sunday's consumption goes like this:

3 scrambled eggs
    3 slices bacon
    100% orange juice

1 hamburger patty
    small helping of coleslaw (not primal)
    largish helping of baked beans (definitely not primal)
    2 cans of Mountain Dew

2 deer/pork burger patties with cheese
    2 servings grilled potatoes
    few bites of broccoli, "cheese" and rice - gave up on it b/c I didn't enjoy it.

strawberries with coconut, heavy whipping cream, honey and vanilla extract

I don't remember for certain what all I ate on Saturday, but the less primal things were the potato casserole (has cheese and sour cream in it... not sure what else) and some jello eggs (I absolutely love jello!!). Oh, and too much easter candy - namely Reese's Peanut Butter eggs. I'm chocking it up to a special occasion and letting it go.

As far as I know, I consumed zero wheat or other grains. I WOULD have had a rice crispy treat last evening, but I discovered my SIL put cheerios in them... nope... walked away. She made some very pretty "bird's nest" cupcakes, but I stayed away from them too. And the pistacchio cake was avoided too. I'm pretty proud of myself.

I felt alienated, but that might have just been of my own doing. I didn't feel like I fit in at all yesterday as the only one avoiding the cake, the buns, and not enjoying the broccoli, cheese and rice dish. But then again, I've felt things were a little off between me and that side of the family since MIL was diagnosed - again, might just be in my head, but I don't feel included in the conversations anymore. I just feel left out and uninformed about everything anymore.

MIL isn't able to watch my kids while I'm in classes anymore. The Mayo Clinic suggested she develop a strict sleeping routine, which includes being in bed by 8:30 each night. My class doesn't end until 10, so she told me she can't watch them anymore. Luckily, there are others who can. It's every other week when DH is on 2nd shift that I need someone to watch them. Taking them with me is NOT an option.

I expect today to be a high food consumption day. I'll be going through carb withdrawals again since I overdid it this weekend. I'm prepared to consume much fat and protein to survive the day if I have to.

Started my new vitamins this weekend. I'm now taking my l-methylfolate (15 mg), D3 (1000 mg), B12 (not sure of dosage, just know it's big), cod liver oil (3 capsules daily), and a zinc (not sure of dosage). Going to look into adding others to counter adrenal fatigue. As a result of the vitamins (I think) Saturday was a really happy day for me. I felt good, almost exhuberant all day long. Sunday was hit or miss depending on the stimuli I encountered. Today, so far, is a fatigued day. I expected as much consider the poor food choices I made this weekend.

I'm just so proud of DH for seeing that his digestive system works so differently without grains! I hope he jumps fully on-board now.

Today's food:

3 boiled eggs
    3 sausage links
    28 almonds

3 chicken legs with non-primal barbecue sauce (I haven't found a substitute that I like yet)
    1/2 bag frozen "California" style veggies

Fitness:
    LHT
    20 minutes on bike
    20 minute walk this evening
    16 minute walk to and from the gym

copious amounts of iced tea and water to flush my system of the weekend weight gain (2 lbs), and who knows what for dinner. I need to create a new menu listing of the foods I prepare now so that when I can't think of anything to make, I can just run through the list and pick something.

Let's see... I think that is all. I hope everyone had a great time with family and friends this weekend and I hope the Easter Bunny was kind to you.
    Last edited by jenn26point2; 04-09-2012 at 07:12 AM.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

longing2bfit is offline Senior Member
    Jenn greta job on passing up all of the desserts.. Our only dessert was a macadamia nut cake that I ground the nuts for and made myself!! High calorie but no grains, and I uses a smallish amount of raw honey for sweetener. Other than that it was baked chicken, potato/cauli salad with homemade mayo and green salad. But everyone was happy!!

Yay on dh getting the picture.. that will really help.. and I am sorry about what is happening within the family structure that can be very stressful!! Thank goodness you have other options for daycare..

Quote Originally Posted by longing2bfit View Post
    Yay on dh getting the picture.. that will really help.. and I am sorry about what is happening within the family structure that can be very stressful!! Thank goodness you have other options for daycare..
    I think what helped was seeing that pet food suppliers now make grain-free dog food... lol seriously. We saw a PetSmart or PetCo commercial this weekend and they highlighted a couple of bags of grain-free dog food and I said "Well, look at that... grain-free dog food". he looked at the screen and was like "huh... that's interesting" and we went about our day. I wonder if that had an effect in that it's not just a "fad" like he views Atkins and all that to be.

That's another thing... I HATE it when people compare this to Atkins. This is NOT atkins... I know I questioned it in the beginning, but I see the difference now.

I gotta run. Just got back from the gym and need to get changed back into my work clothes... actually, that seems silly since I'm leaving work in half an hour to go to the drs office to get my pregnancy vaccine booster (I use the shot as birth control). I haven't had lunch yet. Think I might just hold out til dinner. Seems like a good idea considering the indulgences I took liberty of this weekend.

Lex26 is offline Senior Member
    Man, I would have skipped out on what you did too. It's one thing to go a little off-track for something you actually want to eat, but eating crap just because everyone else is? No thanks. I learned my lesson at a baby shower earlier this year about eating crappy cupcakes. Unless the cupcake has a really yummy cream cheese frosting on it (which adds good protein and fat to it), I'm out because it'll give me a huge headache.
    Starting weight: 225
    Current weight: 195
    Goal: One pull-up by December 31, 2012
    Method: Schwarzbein Principle II, program for insulin sensitive/burned-out adrenals
    My Primal Journey

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Today ended up like this:

3 sausage links
    3 boiled eggs
    28 almonds

skipped lunch

snack of almonds about 5 pm

2 butterflied pork chops
    4 asparagus spears (not sure I'm a fan)
    2 cups (approx) of Italian Blend veggies

half handful of dark chocolate chips

1 1/2 handfuls of dark chocolate chips, melted with coconut, topped with whipped cream and strawberries. It was like a strawberry mounds with strawberries and whipped cream. so yummy

Movement:
    LHT (half a workout... knees were hurting and arms were feeling too weak for pullups after doing pushups)
    bike ride for 20 minutes (4 1/2 miles)
    walk with sister (1 mile) - took kids to the park and pushed daughter in swing for 45 mins or so

Today I am happy! I feel energized, almost spastic. I feel like I'm buzzing with energy. Honestly... my nerves are all buzzing like I'm powered up and ready to take on the day!

I love it.

I started taking a lot of vitamins. Here is my list:

B12 (1000 mg)
    Cod Liver Oil (1000 mg)
    D3 (1000 mg)
    Zinc (don't know)
    Calcium (1200 mg)
    Kelp
    Stress B Complex (for adrenal health - contains B3, B5, B6)
    l-methylfolate (15 mg folic acid for depression/serotonin absorption)

And... lexapro for depression/anxiety... boooooo

12 pills every morning. But given how I feel right now, they're SOOOO worth it! it'll be interesting to see how my mornings change from here on out - how easily I get moving in the morning, whether or not I can actually MAKE IT TO WORK ON TIME!! UGH!

This morning I had a big breakfast.

2 egg omelet with mushrooms, green peppers, onion, ham and cheese
    hashbrowns of sorts with cheese
    3 sausage links

I'm hoping to skip lunch and eat my lunch for dinner - which is only 2 butterfly pork chops b/c I just realized I forgot to pack some veggies... *sigh*

Ketostick came back negative today b/c of my high carb weekend. But the scale dropped those two lbs I gained this weekend, so i guess I'll just take what I can get. Hoping to reenter ketosis soon. I liked the effect of losing 2 inches of fat off my midsection in 2 weeks!

Today I intend to walk to the gym and then ride the bike for a while. Minimum of 30 minutes, but maybe 40. I don't know yet.

The bottom line is that today I feel fantastic! I love feeling so happy and overjoyed! Now... if only I could simmer down and write the danged paper that's due tonight.... 6 pages... EEEK! Better get with it. Talk to y'all later.

Did not go to the gym because I forgot my Kindle at home... I don't want to sit on a stationary bike for 30 minutes with nothing to read and quite honestly reading my college class materials just doesn't seem exciting...

So, no bike. I thought about taking a walk, but my foot hurts and I didn't bring anything warm to wear. I don't want to further aggravate my foot. I switched back to my work shoes yesterday after wearing my runners all last week and man did my foot hurt last night! My little boy (5), bless his heart, rubbed it for me. He's such a sweetie when he's not breaking stuff. lol so, I'm back in runners today. Thinking it might be a while before I can wear work shoes again. I just hope it doesn't reach a point where I have to wear a 'broken foot' boot. I saw someone with severe plantar faciitis once who had to wear a black "broken foot" boot to stretch her tendons back out... I'm not interested. And this really ticks me off b/c this is TECHNICALLY a running injury and I haven't even been running!!!

UGH! Anyhow... didn't fast through lunch. Ate some almonds b/c I wanted to munch. I realized that the breakfast I had today was no bigger than my usual breakfast of 3 eggs and 3 sausage and 28 almonds... in fact, it might have been smaller in relation to calories, protein, and fat. And certainly higher in carbs b/c of the veggies.

And they're remodeling the bathroom RIGHT NEXT DOOR TO MY OFFICE so all I hear is construction noise... that makes me want to eat. Stupid construction noise! Our building is primarily constructed out of cinder blocks so it's reverberating through the entire building and driving us all nuts! lol O_o

ANYHOW... I'm feeling some hunger pangs... think I might eat...

Chatty is offline Senior Member
    Nice journal -- love the detail.

I'm a newbie, so I'm only throwing out something revealed to me this am by an email from hubby re: sugar

One plain bagel contains the less sugar/carbs as a glass of orange juice.
    (1 PLAIN BAGEL; 20. GLASS OF TROPICANA SMOOTH ORANGE JUICE (200ml); 21)

Secret sugars from food:

Secret sugars in your food: From two cubes in a salad to 16-and-a-half in bottled water, what you're eating without realising it | Mail Online

--------------
    What are ham and cheese hashbrowns? Sounds like something hubby would like.

---------
    You can do pushups? I can't do one. You have inspired me -- gotta get working on the "beginner pushup deal."
    Last edited by Chatty; 04-11-2012 at 06:34 AM.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Chatty View Post
    Nice journal -- love the detail.

I'm a newbie, so I'm only throwing out something revealed to me this am by an email from hubby re: sugar

One plain bagel contains the less sugar/carbs as a glass of orange juice.
    (1 PLAIN BAGEL; 20. GLASS OF TROPICANA SMOOTH ORANGE JUICE (200ml); 21)

Secret sugars from food:

Secret sugars in your food: From two cubes in a salad to 16-and-a-half in bottled water, what you're eating without realising it | Mail Online
    Thanks for stopping by. I only drink 100% orange juice - the stuff with no added sugars - just the natural sugars that come from the fruit, so I'm ok with it. I know your article said that they become "added sugar" once the fiber is removed, but I disagree. It was never added, simply extracted from the fruit. I'm not avoiding all sugar b/c to be truthful, it's nearly impossible if you allow anyone else to prepare your food. For instance, I found some no preservative, no other yucky stuff sausages at the store b/c I haven't had a chance to make my own yet. They contain pork, water, salt, and sugar. They are so freaking good... but again, have sugar, but it must be VERY little sugar b/c there is 0g listed on the nutrition info... odd...

The bagel on the other hand has toxic wheat in it... wheat I avoid like the plague...
    Last edited by jenn26point2; 04-11-2012 at 07:04 AM.