Page 133 of 590 FirstFirst ... 3383123131132133134135143183233 ... LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,330 of 5892

Thread: My Journey from Sugar Burner to Fat Burner - jenn26point2's Primal Journal page 133

tomi is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    sounds exciting, Jenn! what fun........... even though I have NO clue what a Prairie de ....... something, is ! I'll look it up online so I can be truly excited for you!

too bad for MIL........ she's really missing out on life! all for a stupid cracker or slice of pizza! I'll take a painfree day over any type of yummy food.
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

I'm doing this because I'm worth it - because I'm worthy - because I love myself.

Goals: Healthy mind, healthy body, happy soul.

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    Tomi, Prairie du Chein (Chien??) is a city in Wisconsin along the Iowa/Wisconsin border. Nothing special, but we love the drive and enjoy your time up there. It's only selling point, really, is Cabela's, a sporting goods store we don't have around here.

Remember the people on facebook who asked for my "in progress" success story? They sent me the preliminary edit of my submission. It is below. I wish I'd thought of it at the time, but Tomi, your story would be perfect for the book! I mentioned you to him last night and he said it's too late to contact you at this point because their deadline is fast approaching, but if you get contacted by a Joe Salama, he's the one writing the book. Anyhow, my (professionally edited) submission:

"Before paleo, my diet consisted mostly of pasta with creamy sauces, boneless/skinless chicken breasts, lots of sugary treats, fast food, and pizza.

I suffered from piriformis syndrome and posterior tibial tendonitis, and went to see a chiropractor who specialized in athletes. The piriformis syndrome was pinching my sciatic nerve and causing a lot of pain in my foot and hip. The chiropractor performed Active Release Techniques (ART) on me twice a week in an attempt to reduce the inflammation in my pirforimis to release my sciatic nerve. She was also treating my posterior tibial tendonitis with ART. It felt like we weren’t getting anywhere with it, which was very frustrating.

I also had depression and anxiety disorder, and I was seeing a psychiatrist for meds every 1-3 months and seeing a psychologist for “talk therapy” monthly.

I discovered the paleo lifestyle in early 2011 at the age of 31, while I was training for numerous half marathons. My chiropractor looked at me one day after about 5 or 6 months of ART Treatment and said “There is nothing else I can do for you. You need to change your diet to see anymore relief” for the running injuries. She suggested I start following a more paleo diet. She explained what paleo was. I said that I didn’t think I could do that – it felt too extreme to me. She then recommended that I at least remove gluten, sugar, and dairy from my diet for two weeks and see how I felt. She even guaranteed I'd lose 10 pounds. So, I gave it a shot. I got gluten-free this, gluten-free that. I followed her rules for 6 days, and already had lost 8 pounds, and started to feel some pain relief with my piriformis syndrome and tibial tendonitis. But I didn't stick with it, and my weight loss didn't stick around either. And my piriformis syndrome and tibial tendonitis pain returned.

I limped through all 6 of my half marathons that year, and called it a season. I went about trying to lose weight the Conscious Wellness route, and was getting nowhere. I studied many different diets and worked hard to make them work, but it didn’t get me anywhere. It was quire frustrating. I had a few friends who were doing paleo, but I thought there was NO WAY I could give up my pasta – I mean, I'm a runner! Runners need pasta!

On March 5, 2012 I decided to take the full paleo plunge. I was going to go full throttle into Mark Sisson’s book, The Primal Blueprint, and see what could happen. After reading The Primal Blueprint, I was intrigued. I wanted to continue reading, so I also read Dr. Davis’ Wheat Belly and decided wheat was just all around bad and there was no going back. I was not going to eat wheat again because I was fearful of the damage it could do. I also read Melissa and Dallas Hartwig’s It Starts with Food.

These days I am paleo and my breakfast consists of eggs and bacon! Imagine that! BACON! I used to avoid bacon because of the high calorie content. Now I relish it because of the high fat content! Being paleo, I know that I don’t have to stress about calories if I don’t want to. My dinner looks like a juicy ribeye steak with fresh steamed veggies or a baked sweet potato. Lunch is usually leftovers from dinner.

The hardest part about making the switch was seeing my family eat old favorites – pizza, lasagna, etc. – and I overcame this by converting my family as well. My husband, 5-year old son and 2 year old daughter now eat the same dinners I do. The kids sometimes complain and ask for their old favorites, like chicken nuggets and pizza, and sometimes we compromise and let them enjoy them, but those days are fewer and further between as they are adjusting to the new way of eating and seeing great results.

After making the change to Primal, I've never looked back. Don’t get me wrong, I have slipped a couple of times and ate a cupcake at my niece’s 4th birthday, have eaten a Tombstone with my family, and have gone out to eat and have eaten non-paleo things… but, I recognize my slip and get back on track. I know that eating paleo makes me feel SO much better both physically and mentally and that always brings me back.

Since March, I've lost a total of 35 pounds! I have taken 26.5 inches off of my body. I have gone from a tight size 16 to a size 12 that fits comfortably. I am now wearing jeans I haven't worn since before I got pregnant with my son 6 years ago!

Even more important than the weight loss is that I was finally able to stop taking antidepressants. I was taking three different medications to help control my moods. Since going paleo, I have not needed them and the doctor discontinued my prescriptions. My depression is gone as long as I stay the course and remain true to paleo eating. My piriformis syndrome still gets fired up when I run, but it no longer sidelines me because my body recovers more quickly. My posterior tibial tendonitis is completely gone.

One of the more surprising things is that my exercise has been cut back dramatically! Instead of running 5 or more miles 3x per week, all I do now is walk for 45 minutes 5x per week over lunch. I am starting to gear up for another half marathon season, but I expect this time around to be MUCH different. For starters, I’m much lighter which will be less stress on my body. Running is SO much easier now. I’ve even ventured into barefoot running which is much more comfortable than running in shoes.

The turning point for me was when I went from being skeptical and started seeing the results that were possible with this paleo lifestyle. Once I saw results I hadn’t seen with all my other failed attempts, I was sold. I am fully committed to this lifestyle! As I was reading Mark Sisson’s book, I kept thinking “Yeah right! Effortless weight loss?!?”, but it’s absolutely true! And the change has been so easy! I love the foods I am eating! And no one is missing anything that we used to have before because we all have new favorites that we ask for regularly instead of asking for pizza or fast food!

I love my new lifestyle and I am currently reading Primal Body Primal Mind by Nora T. Gedgaudas and learning so much more. Reading and learning has been paramount to my transformation."
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Nice. Very nice. Congrats!
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    Well-written and very inspiring, Jenn. The thing I love about writing something so positive about oneself is that re-reading it makes one feel re-inspired to stay on track and keep getting results. That's how I felt when proof-reading mine for MDA, anyway
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Now, since this is being published in a book, would it be considered plagarism to "reuse" it for like an MDA success story someday?

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    They had you sign a waiver, right? Might want to see what that says. They're your words, but the use of it in book may preclude you from using it anywhere else.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Sabine is online now Senior Member
    Cool.

You want to look for the phrase 'first-rights'. That is them asking for permission to use your story in the book, for the first time, but you can still use it subsequently. Although, you should always note, 'first published in x, author, date, publishing co'.

hmmm... I'll have to look. I read it, and I think all it said was that this gives them permission to publish my name and likeness, photos and words, stuff like that. I'll read through it again and see if there's anything about "ownership" being transfered to them. Having talked to the guy and gal who are doing this and knowing their cause, I think they'd be ok with me using my own story. I'll read through the release again, though.

KimT is offline Senior Member
    YAY! That about sums it up.

I have my 90 day journal in front of me. This thing is pretty cool! It's made with high quality paper so I don't see myself being able to write in it with a pencil... too glossy for that. Will have to use ball point or felt tip. There's a pretty substantial introduction section, so I'm going to read through that and start thinking about my goals and experiments.