Page 12 of 590 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262112512 ... LastLast

Thread: My Journey from Sugar Burner to Fat Burner - jenn26point2's Primal Journal page 12

longing2bfit is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Good going Jenn. when is you usual weigh-in? Do you wiehg-in everyday or one time per week/month? You should be doing great whenever it comes around!

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    I weigh in daily b/c otherwise I find myself getting off track.

I really need to tighten up the diet though. I had a major sugar attack last night and ended up eating too much dark chocolate. My grocery store was out of strawberries and raspberries (something about a drought killing the crop??) so I couldn't have my usual berries and cream. *sad face* So, to ease the craving, I had some dark chocolate chips with coconut and whipped cream. It worked and satisfied the craving.

I could have easily been in bed by 9 last night, but I chose to do some online Facebook gaming, and then ran another load of dishes through the dishwasher (one of my stress relief goals). Then I laid in bed reading some material for class (I'm in grad school) until 10:30 or so.

DH came home from work and had to take DS to his own bed. He'd made the trek into our bed already and I didn't even notice. Then at midnight or so, I took him back again. Then DD started crying every like 20 minutes. Sent DH to take care of her since he's on 2nd shift and can sleep a touch later than me to make up for it. Besides, he's her dad... there's no reason he can't tend to her at night too. Before long, she was in our bed... then DS came back again, and started fighting with DD about how much room she was taking. It was ridiculous! So, crappy sleep last night, but surprisingly I feel ok this morning. There were 4 of us in the bed when I got up this morning - my 330 lb husband, me in my 212 lbs of glory, a 35 lb DD and a 65 lb DS. That's a lot of weight for that poor bed to hold up! lol

I think I'm going to have to pull on the big girl panties and admit that my foot is injured and I need to stop running. I ran sprints yesterday (1 min sprint at 7 mph, 1 min walk at 3.3-3.5 mph for 2 miles - about 23 minutes) and today my foot is hurting like a bitch. Wore jeans to work so I could wear my runners to keep my foot happy. Foot just would NOT be happy in dress shoes today, flat or not. Hopefully I can correct it without having to have a physical therapist intervene. It's odd to me that I'm not training for races anymore, and now my foot is acting up. Seems backwards, really.

I have to skip class tonight since I have no one to watch my kidlets for me. With DH on 2nd, MIL would normally watch them, but she's at the Mayo Clinic this week being evaluated for fibromyalgia. She's been diagnosed but none of the treatments the University of Iowa provided were accomplishing what she wanted. She actually turned to using marijuana to ease her pain and anxiety - which totally pisses me off and affected my respect for her - like took it to nearly a zero... I am 100% anti-illegal narcotics for ANY reason, and feel that she could have done more research to discover there are LEGAL methods to get the same substance as what can be found in marijuana. I found a prescription drug that is available in the US that is based on THC (the active ingredient in marijuana in case you're not up on drugs), and sent her the information, but as usual she didn't act on it. She never takes my suggestions seriously so I completely stopped making suggestions, giving ideas, etc. I told her to try eating clean and she said that there were mixed reviews on whether or not that actually worked for fibro pain, so she didn't even try it. Now she's gaining weight b/c she and FIL eat out at least 50% of the time. The rest of the time their food comes from a box - whether it be spaghetti, Fiber One bars, or cereal. She finally participated in a dialog with me when I mentioned the no wheat thing. She read somewhere that coconut oil is good for Alzheimer's patients and that's about the extent of our conversation. Her job stresses her to no end (she's a head cook at an elementary school with a boss who would drive anyone mad) and FIL has asked her to quit and find something else b/c when she's stressed, she hurts more. I guess they got into the fight of the century over it, but she won't quit. It drives me nuts that she knows stress causes her body to flare up but she won't do what is needed to prevent the stress. So, y'all aren't the only ones with MILs that drive you nuts. I'm hoping the Mayo Clinic tells her to clean up her diet, ditch grains, increase fat, etc, etc, etc and to quit her job to eliminate her chronic pain. I used to think we had a really good relationship, but now I find myself withdrawing (and likewise with her) since this Fibro thing came along.

OH! NSV!!! I discovered a tricep today! It makes me want to go to the gym and do an upper body workout, but I know that would be bad since I did one yesterday. I'm so excited about that dang muscle! I might take measurements today to see where I'm at b/c I have noticed changes in the mirror and would like to know how they translate in inches. In fact, I think I might go do that now... I'll report back.

I hope everyone is having a great day. I am so far.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Changes in measurement (since March 14):

Waist: +0.75
    Hips at butt: -.075
    Hips at pelvis: -1.5
    Belly: -0.25
    Thigh: NC
    Neck: -0.25
    Forearm: NC
    Wrist: NC
    Bicep: +0.25

Total change in 2 weeks: -1.75 inches.

Total change since January 3: -5.5 inches.

Weight change since January 3: 5 lbs

Body fat change in 2 weeks: -0.42%

Just under half a percent lost in 2 weeks is pretty good! Between Jan 3 and now, body fat went up depsite weight and measurements going down, but considering it only measures 4 body parts, I don't take much stock in the measurement.

I can say I'm pretty happy with these numbers. Wish it was more, but it's better than no change at all, so it's definitely something to be happy about.
    Last edited by jenn26point2; 04-03-2012 at 07:33 AM.

I promised goals for the month of April. These are not WEIGHT LOSS goals, but could result in weight loss.

1. do dishes every night
    2. move every day
    3. eat primally every day
    4. review checkbook 5x per week
    5. take a moment to enjoy nature
    6. do a little something every day that will make my home something to be proud of

1 and 6 pertain to the fact that I have an overwhelming clutter problem in my home. There is paper clutter on just about every surface, toys scattered everywhere, dishes piled up in the sink, and a floor that needs swept. I need to get it in check before I end up on the next episode of Hoarders: Buried Alive (ok, it's not anywhere NEAR that bad, but it is messy and needs some attention).

2, 3, and 5 are primal things that will help me to feel better both mentally and physically and there's no getting around them. I need them because they make me feel better. Bottom line.

4 is to help with financial stress. Every payday I stress out b/c we overspent the week before and I can prevent this by simply reviewing our checkbook every day. I can't commit to every day b/c sometimes I simply forget about it, but if I am pretty sure I can handle 5x per week.

Ok, those are my goals for April. Let the destressing begin!

Candy in Wonderland is offline Senior Member
    Hi Jenn, those are nice goals!
    About your MIL, I have/had fibro myself (never been officially diagnosed, but it was 'mentioned' as cause of my pain) and last year was on 1800mg gabapentin/day (it's actually an epilepsy medication, but has pain relief as side effect). Since ditching the grains the pain has gone down sooo much I was able to cut down to 600mg/day until last week and I'm now on 300mg/day since 3 days. I feel great! I didn't have a pain-free day (or even a pain-free hour) since many years, but now I do! I can still hardly believe it. So if your MIL needs a convincing story, here it is!!!
    Last edited by Candy in Wonderland; 04-04-2012 at 10:27 AM. Reason: hmm, next instead of last, fair-haired moment :p
    My Journal: Candy in Primal Wonderland
    My Blog: Candy in Wonderland
    Goal for 2012: keep weight steady (+/- 74 kg): check
    Goal for 2013: lose 10 kg and keep new weight (+/- 65 kg)

Thanks for the story, Candy, but I don't think she'll listen. DH got a text from her yesterday that said her diagnosis was confirmed by the Mayo doctors and that she and FIL sat in classes all day and learned a lot. I don't know what she learned b/c she didn't say, but I'm hoping she learned that diet makes a HUGE difference in how she'll feel.

That being said, my stepmom, whom I love like my own mother, is being tested (maybe evaluated is a better word) for multiple sclerosis. I had already talked to her about the implications of wheat and how gluten intolerance/celiac can masquerade as other illnesses b/c celiac symptoms are so wide-scale. After she told me what they were looking for, I asked her if they had started a treatment plan with her (just in case, you know) and she said no. I shared with her the excerpt out of Wheat Belly (on page 82) where it mentions that in the last 50 years the cases of celiac have multiplied 4-fold and doubled in the last 20 years, and the cases of auto immune diseases like MS have also multiplied. She wants to read Wheat Belly now. I'm glad she's willing to read the book and look into alternative treatment options that don't just include drugs and a wheelchair. She's not usually so open-minded, but I think she is trying to be since she's learning about MS. I really hope her MRI yesterday will produce some answers and we learn more today.

That wheat really is a nasty, nasty little bastard!! And it makes me so mad that the USDA is turning a blind eye to it. Ignorance does not equal innocence!!

Anyhow... didn't walk with the sister-in-law last night. Her little boy (almost 3) was having a tantrum and she said "he doesn't deserve to go for a walk after that fit". I explained to her that since he sits in the stroller the whole time, the walk isn't FOR him, it's FOR HER and SHE DOES deserve to do something good for her health. She said she'd do yoga or go for a walk after his dad got home or something. I hope she did.

I spoke with a mom from the daycare who I know well from our running hobbies. I followed her on facebook while she was training for the Boston Marathon, and our kids play together. Anyhow, her son had been developing all of these crazy fevers and colds so they were treating him as best they could to ease his symptoms. They learned recently that his fevers are caused by an allergic reaction to milk - more specifically caseins. She said they'd come in waves and she discovered the correlation - she gets groceries every two weeks or so and would buy him "kids'" yogurt and he'd scarf it all down in a matter of a couple of days, then a few days later he'd get sick. So she said no more dairy for him and forced the daycare to cooperate. She's bringing in almond milk and other snacks for him so he is able to eat with the other students. She said they have to comply and urged me to do the same with our kids and wheat products. Thing is, I don't know if I'm to that point yet. I'm dragging my feet, that's for sure. It's a preference I have to avoid wheat - not a medical necessity at this point. I'm just experimenting to see how things work for me. I haven't forced it on my family yet... I guess I'm on the fence... taking the lazy man's way and not forcing it on the family... and that makes me feel guilty...

I made chicken strips with almond flour and coconut flour last night, fried them in coconut oil and then baked them to doneness last night. I am not impressed with how well the flours hold up in oil. They brown nicely, but any residual flour that remains in the oil burns and turns the oil black, affecting the appearance (and taste) of any later fried items. I think next time I'll do it differently, but I don't know how yet. And the flours soak up sooo much oil that they probably should have been placed on a broiler pan before put in the oven b/c the oil that drained off of them during baking just made the flour crust soggy. Will have to try that one again in the future with a different technique, I think... I did however figure out how to make the nut flours STICK to the meat... egg wash. It worked well.

On to the next great adventure... oh, wait... there aren't any... hmmm... ok, I'll read journals. Have a great one, everybody!
    Last edited by jenn26point2; 04-04-2012 at 06:37 AM.

I am finding myself becoming preoccupied with calories and accuracy again. Or rather more likely preoccupied with the pace at which I'm losing. I need to stop this thinking. The weight is coming off. The two inches of fat loss around my middle is proof of that.

But maybe i will tighten the diet up a bit just to ease my mind. And it's weird that I am worried about this as breakfast was perfectly portioned. I am letting things in that shouldn't be in - i.e. ranch dressing.

Maybe I'll stop tracking calories for a while. I know my carbs are low. Fat is right and protein is a bit low. Having a hard time getting the protein to match the fats for some reason. Maybe instead of tracking my calories, I'll just write things down here. I think calories (both consumed and burned) is stressing me out.

For the rest of the week, I am not going to track calories. I will eat primal foods. Eat til I'm full. Move frequently, yet slowly. I will LHT. But I will NOT go back to CW stupidity and obsess over calories and crap.

Today:
    B: 8:30 am
    3 hard-boiled eggs
    2 sausage patties

L: 1:30 pm
    Field greens
    Shredded cheese
    lemon juice
    Diced Coconut Chicken Strips
    Hard-boiled egg

D:
    Grilled Chicken Breast
    Steamed Carrots
    Steamed broccoli
    Butter

Evening Snack:
    Strawberries
    Heavy Whipping Cream with vanilla and touch of honey
    Shredded coconut
    Last edited by jenn26point2; 04-04-2012 at 11:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jenn26point2 View Post
    For the rest of the week, I am not going to track calories. I will eat primal foods. Eat til I'm full. Move frequently, yet slowly. I will LHT. But I will NOT go back to CW stupidity and obsess over calories and crap.
    Yes Jenn, you can do this! No stress, no worries! (hmm, whenever I read or write 'no worries' in my mind I can hear it with Australian accent ).

I really hope your step mom reads the book and is willing to give it a try.

You hear Australian, I hear Jamaican! lol

Stepmom does not have MS. Neurologist called and told her and said her brain is pristine... I asked her if he was sure he was looking at the correct brain. lol He wants to see her again in 3 months, and until then she's to just put up with the tingling and numbness in her extremities...

I hope she's willing to give it a try too. Dad could use it too. He looks like he's 9 months pregnant, and his belly feels like it too. It's hard as a freaking ROCK! I was nosing through their cupboards the other day looking for a snack for my daughter and all they had were granola bars, fiber one bars, crackers, and cereal/cereal bars. It's no wonder they can't lose weight!! I don't think it would be too hard for them. They grow a garden every year and have a freezer full of meat. They could easily adapt to this lifestyle if they took the opportunity. Now I just have to figure out how to "lend" a Kindle version of Wheat Belly to her... I think my dad would be game to try it out b/c he subscribed to the whole Body for Life thing so the next logical step for him is to eliminate grains!

Wow, good news for your stepmom, but let's hope she gets the warning message...