Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Permanent ketosis leads to kidney/liver damage? page

Timothy is offline Senior Member

Shop Now

I recently told my friend, a professor of medicine at a large university, about my six-week-old PB eating habits (now largely carnivorous). He advised me that it's not good to keep your body "carb-starved" and in ketosis all the time, and that eating so much protein strains the liver's ability to produce urea and the kidneys' ability to process and excrete it. The long-term effects can include liver and kidney damage, he said.

I've heard something like this before, but it seems to run counter to the research on MDA as well as the experiences of real-life carnivores.

Do you know anyone who has sustained kidney/liver damage from eating too much protein? Is Tarlach on course for renal failure? Or is this just CW run amok again?

Athena is offline Senior Member

Ive heard it from bodybuilders who eat ungodly amounts of protein (mostly from powders) that they have kidney problems. I always heard as long as you keep hydrated your kidneys shouldnt have an issue, especially if u get your protein from meat sources. Although I can't back that up with anything other than broscience. Im interested to see some evidence though

Prowler Guest

Absolute bull.

1. What is the incidence of liver or kidney damage among the Inuit practicing their traditional diet?

2. What is the incidence of liver or kidney damage among the Masai practicing their traditional diet?

3. The venerable Dr. Atkins himself used ketosis to treat thousands of patients at his clinic over the course of several decades, and he challenged anyone to show one case where ketosis caused kidney damage. Not one case has ever been documented.

Case closed. Ketosis is a safe and natural state, and any speculation about potential harm is just that: pure unfounded speculation.

EGYnutrition is offline Senior Member

The body naturally has a few feedback loops that prevent from ketoacidosis, which is what most people fear from ketosis such as:

-decreasing glucose requirements in body

-decreased nitrogen excretion via kidney

-decreased protein synthesis because of lower thyroid function

There are others but they haven't been definitively confirmed.

Now there are really no long term studies done on ketosis and its' affects on humans. Most of the studies are done on epileptic children, but there protocols are quite different from what the average primal person might do.

I do know that uric acid (waste product of protein) competes with the same transport mechanism in the kidney's as ketones do... do Im not one for recommending longterm ketosis.

When clients/friends ask I usually give them a cyclical ketosis diet, if they are more geared towards fat loss, it's one re-feed every 7-10 days. More towards muscle building it's once every 3-5 days.

On a related note, type 1 diabetics and mixing alcohol with ketosis is very dangerous and will most likely result in ketoacidosis.

In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

Very interesting... thanks for the informed responses, Athena, Prowler, A.S.

This is pretty much what I suspected (living off protein powder will blow out your kidneys, bacon not so much) and I have no problem following a carnivorous diet for 20 years just to prove my friend wrong -- at which point I expect he would dismiss me as a stastical outlier, so confirmed is he in his views.

That's very interesting about Dr. Atkins defying anyone to produce a case of kidney damage from ketosis. That's kind of what I was wondering -- where are the casualties behind these grim warnings? I will look into Dr. Atkins' challenge further.

BTW, did I ever mention I love the MDA community?? I've never seen a question asked here that didn't get an intelligent response (and usually many).

Prowler Guest

I love this community too. And I love the PB. It's not just a diet, but a great holistic approach to diet, exercise, and a healthy attitude that just clicks for me. There's nothing else like it.

But yeah, living off protein powder is a bad idea. The reason is because of the lack of fats.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabbit_starvation

When Vijhalmur Stefansson underwent his one-year meat-only diet to satisfy the doubters among the medical community, they tried a diet of lean meat only for a short time, in which time he suffered poor health. When they added fats back in to the diet, he regained perfect health which carried on to the end of the experiment.

Similarly, some fad diets in the past have advocated liquid protein shakes, and were low in fat and in total calories. Without fat to burn for fuel, the body turns to excessive muscle catabolism, and several people on this regime died from heart failure.

Similar things have happened with the so-called Kimkins diet, a scam which was basically a low-fat, low-calorie version of Atkins.

Low-carb should never be low-fat. When you remove carbs from the equation, or minimize them, fat becomes your body's primary fuel source, as nature intended it to be.

Anecdotal evidence tells me that in the old days, people ate the fatty meats and organs first and threw the lean muscles to the dogs.

The fact that people pay a premium in this country for boneless, skinless chicken breasts is a laughable tragedy. And the fact that I went to Trader Joe's the other day and couldn't find a single piece of chicken with the bone and skin included makes me very sad, indeed.

Great stuff, Prowler, thanks a ton! I had never read the story of Vilhjalmur Stefansson before. Very compelling. I wonder how much of the criticism of excess protein should really be aimed at lack of fat. Now I am well armed with counterarguments to the "ketosis is bad" theory.

I can't resist mentioning that my friend, who is roughly my same age and height, has been trying to lose weight for the last six months and plateaued at 180 (the same place I plateaued before discovering the PB). He hasn't seen me in a few months, but I'm now 158 and stacked. I am really going to give him the business when next we meet.

StoneAgeQueen is offline Senior Member

I know people (yes, PEOPLE) that have cured themselves of advanced kidney and liver disease by long periods of fasting. The doctors told them there was nothing they could do, of course. I have kidney damage that I'm working on by doing periods of vegetable juice fasting. I'm positive that starches and sugars are definitely more likely to harm kidneys than ketosis or high protein intake. If I eat a large amount of sugar or starch my kidneys ache the next day. Look at how cats have high rates of kidney disease. My bet is that if starches weren't added to cat food, this wouldn't be the case.

Type 1 diabetic for 25 years.
    Low carb for 7 years, LC Primal for 2.5 of those.
    Fruit and starch free.
    Total weight loss- 3 stone/42 pounds. Current weight = 121 pounds. Height 5'5
    I take Zymessence systemic enzymes.

periquin is offline Senior Member

Hi, Prowler-----Atkins diet of late 60's and early 70's---you can lose a lot of weight in a short time. The diet leads to excessive ketones in the system. Not all that bad if you drink a lot of water. Dr. Atkins gave instructions that no one should follow his diet more than two weeks without spending a few weeks on a more conventional diet. He also recommended drinking over 96 ounces of water a day while on the diet. The diet lost favor around 1972-73 after there were reports of people dying while on the diet. Probably didn't drink the water and/or kept at it too long. Around that time I just came out of the service and entered college. Transition from exrtreme activity to sitting at a desk all day. I gained over 70 pounds in that school year. I used the Atkins diet to drop that weight in a little over three months. Yea--I went too long, but I was desperate and besides, if I couldn't die in Vietnam, I couldn't die anywhere. I did develop some harsh kidney pain. Hot pads on my flanks almost all the time. I won't use that diet again if I go top heavy.

Stay hydrated if you want to be a total carnivore.

Note that nature's carnivores--lions,tigers, and bears---often eat their kill's stomach first--where all of the predigested plants are.

Tayatha om bekandze

Bekandze maha bekandze

Randza samu gate soha

Stabby is offline Senior Member

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/179311.php

Considering that after 10 years these people are very healthy, I'm just wondering HOW LONG is it supposed to take for this horrible, scary ketosis to harm someone? Just wonderin'

Too much protein can strain the liver, this is true. Ketogenic diets should be maximum 30% protein in my opinion and the rest fat (and carbs if it won't break ketosis).

Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast