Thread: My primal journey with CML. page

ma22girls is offline Junior Member

My primal journey with CML.

Primal Fuel
    This journal is not so much of a challenge to eat paleo but a journal to chronicle my paleo journey with leukemia.

In July 2011 I was diagnosed with chronic myeloid leukemia (CML). I was a runner then. Following a mostly paleo diet at the time. At the time of my diagnosis I weighed 124lbs and had about 20% body fat. Now I weigh about 144 lbs. I take a cancer drug for my CML. One of the side effects I have from my meds is water retention. Most of the 20 lbs I have gained is from water. Some of the weight gain could be from stress and not being able to exercise while I had to wait for my spleen to shrink back to normal.

Starting the new year I decided to cut back on my running and focus more on overall health. I use the book NROL for women for my weight workouts. I lift 3 times a week and run twice, very easy runs, and do sprints once a week.

At diagnosis my PCR, number of leukemic cells in a sample of blood, was 24.695% My last PCR, 6 month mark, was 0.151% The ultimate goal is to get to 0.0000% which is called PCRU, undetectable.

GoozerGrok is offline Junior Member
    ma22girls,

I just wanted to drop a line and find out how you were doing? It sounds like your 6 month numbers were amazing! I don't know you but I am proud of you and your determination to take charge of your body and fight for all it's worth!

Congratulations and keep us posted!

Thanks GoozerGrok!

It's been awhile since I started this. One nasty allergy attack that knocked me out for two weeks. Then two girls keeping me busy I almost forgot about this log.

Durning those two months I completed two more stages in my NROLFW book. I'm still increasing weights quite a bit. I can see myself getting stronger. I like looking at my shoulders in the mirror I also did two crossfit fundraising WODS with my husband and his gym. They were absolutely fun and hard! I could see myself starting crossfit in the near future.

I had my 9 month PCR done in April. There was very little change. It went from 0.151 to 0.120. I am still in complete cytogenic repsonse ( the goal for 12 months) so I am not worried about this. A lot of people stall before going down again. I was frustrated though. My regular blood work was all in the normal range again! My hemoglobin even went up a little too!

Still doing great eating paleo. I did have a cheat day on Sunday and felt horrible not too soon afterwards! Lesson learned! It did not hurt my performance on Monday, so all was good!

I am going to ask my onc about getting my cholesterol checked with my regular blood work at my 1 year appt. I'd like to see how one year of paleo is on my body.

So for todays workout I walked two miles at the park today. I need to get back into the habit of walking on my off days. I was good about it for awhile but kinda of quit.

I did a 12 hour fast from last night till this morning. I can't do much longer fasts as I have to take iron pills and those require food. I am supposed to take them three times a day but I usually do 2. So I can have coffee and fast. Luckily I can take my CML drug with or without food.

Had a good weights workout yesterday. I am doing the NROL4W program. I am on stage 5 out of 7. I also did 15 minutes of intervals on the treadmill. 1 minute on 2 minutes off. (speed 8.4 to 3.4)

Today I did a very easy 2.12 mile run followed by a 28 minute walk. It was a beautiful morning, sunny 70* with a slight breeze.

So after one year of being diagnosed with CML I have put on 24lbs. I have quit running and am more focused on strength training. I eat 90% paleo. I have recently decreased my carb intake to 50 to 70 grams, to see if that helps with weight loss. Right now I am 149 lbs. I am 5'3.5" I have a medium bone build. I can get down to 148.5 pounds but nothing further.

In January I started the New Rules of Lifting For Women program. I finished in July. I saw lots of strength gains. But the scale went up and my measurements went up about 0.5 inches. After taking a little break I started on a 6 week strength program. I have finished 3 weeks now. When my girls went back to school I added walking into my daily routines. Yesterday I added some sprints in. Not sure if that was a good idea after squats! But I am not too sore today as long as I don't walk up stairs!

Here is my problem. The cancer drug I take makes me retain water. I take a diuretic for that and have to watch my sodium intake. My weight gain comes in spurts, every three or 4 months. I don't know if my body is not getting rid of water and storing it or I am just gaining weight. It is very frustrating to me. 6.5 years ago I used to be 200lbs. I got myself down to 125 lbs and kept it there until I got CML. I don't want to get that heavy again.

So I am here to blog about my life with CML.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Today is my eldest daughters 12th birthday. Boy they sure grow up fast! I have some errands to run today. Hoping to get a lot of walking in while doing them. The dogs and I walked my youngest to school today. It is something we do every day as long as its not raining or she took to long getting ready!

Breakfast:
    "greeK" burger topped with an egg
    broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots 1.5 serving
    2 cups of coffee with 1 tbsp each of coconut milk creamer vanilla flavored