Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ghee making question page

L8F
    L8F is offline Senior Member

Ghee making question

Shop Now
    Just wondering, have my pan of melted butter simmering at a low heat, and white proteins are bubbling up nicely. My issue is whether or not I have to skim as I go, or just let it all come up to the top, then skim in one pass. Standing over the stove is tedious, and I get barely any white stuff off as I skim continuously, even though it will make lovely ghee.
    Also, if it bubbles up and breaks the surface (scary!) is this heat too high?
    THANK YOU ghee experts!!!
    Started Whole30 December 31, 2011
    Integrated Leptin Reset/Jack Kruse plan Jan 13, 2012
    Starting Weight: 174.8
    CW:160.0 lbs

EvansMom is offline Senior Member
    I don't get that fussy. I turn it on medium, throw in butter and ignore it for 5-10 minutes. Then I skim off top but not too fussy about it. I have some dairy/lactose/casein intolerance and still just can't get too overly picky about mine. It seems to work well for me. Then I pour it into a container and try not to get too much of the leftover protein into my ghee that is in the bottom of the pan. I think it is okay either way. Bubbles are okay by me, but maybe someone else will nit pick that

L8F

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by EvansMom View Post
    I don't get that fussy. I turn it on medium, throw in butter and ignore it for 5-10 minutes. Then I skim off top but not too fussy about it. I have some dairy/lactose/casein intolerance and still just can't get too overly picky about mine. It seems to work well for me. Then I pour it into a container and try not to get too much of the leftover protein into my ghee that is in the bottom of the pan. I think it is okay either way. Bubbles are okay by me, but maybe someone else will nit pick that
    Thank you for replying.
    I turned mine off cause it was taking longer than anticipated, and now that I am home again, it is torture--so slow. I messed it up. White stuff isn't rising well any longer. Knew I should have kept it going, but I was not feeling that that was safest idea. Next time I will try a little higher heat and keep my face far away! (I am trying to be strict with the milk proteins, so I will go for the cheesecloth method and hope it turns out well)

touchdowntodd is offline Senior Member
    i REALLY need to try and learn this process .. would love to have some at home
    started at 310 July 23rd 2011 ... workin and workin!

my journal - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread34980.html

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by L8F View Post
    Thank you for replying.
    I turned mine off cause it was taking longer than anticipated, and now that I am home again, it is torture--so slow. I messed it up. White stuff isn't rising well any longer. Knew I should have kept it going, but I was not feeling that that was safest idea. Next time I will try a little higher heat and keep my face far away! (I am trying to be strict with the milk proteins, so I will go for the cheesecloth method and hope it turns out well)
    I cook my ghee on medium heat until the milk solids turn dark golden brown - it gives the ghee a lovely carmel taste. Then I strain through a paper towel lined filter. Yummy!!
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

L8F
    Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    I cook my ghee on medium heat until the milk solids turn dark golden brown - it gives the ghee a lovely carmel taste. Then I strain through a paper towel lined filter. Yummy!!
    YES!! Did this by mistake, and it is so nutty smelling. Can't wait to try it with breakfast!!!!
    I used a couple of cheesecloth layers, and a fine strainer. It looks crystal clear. But it was a pain in the...waiting for it to fully finish bubbling up.

Next I will go medium and not look at it for at least 20 minutes. Should be easier. But this batch of one hunk Kerry Gold and 6 other sticks of butter is going to last me for a while...

L8F
    Quote Originally Posted by touchdowntodd View Post
    i REALLY need to try and learn this process .. would love to have some at home
    It is fairly simple, but needs patience. Throw some unsalted butter (Kerry Gold for nutrients) in a pan, heat over low (or medium some advise) until melted, and then more. For low heat and a lot of butter it takes one hour plus. Then you will see clear ghee separate out from the white proteins etc. The white will sink to the bottom, then as it cooks, will bubble up to the top. Then it should be skimmed. I skim as I go but this is a PITA. I am still too much of a hovering novice to let it simmer and then walk away for 30 min. SO...skim as much white stuff off as you can, I use a large spoon, and save the tasty white stuff (for those who can eat milk products). Then when no more white bubbles up, and the pan is mostly clear ghee, you pour it thru several layers of cheese cloth held up by a fine strainer (or paper towel some use). I did not find success with a coffee filter round one. Also, if the white stuff browns as mentioned above, it gives the whole batch this AMAZING nutty flavor. Fantastic, I could drown in it.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    THIS... Browned butter Ghee.

Strain through a single layer of paper towel or coffee filter, or an ultra fine mesh strainer (one of those gold mesh coffee baskets is great for this IMO). Clear and Delish!
    Last edited by cori93437; 03-08-2012 at 12:05 PM.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    I'm curious, I tried to make clarified butter once and I don't know if it was the butter I used or I didn't heat it long enough, but it was very HARD even at room temperature. How malleable is your ghee? I couldn't refrigerate it because it was too hard to chip away at! It was still fairly buttery looking, maybe just a lighter yellow, so I think I didn't heat it long enough.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    I don't skim at all. I feel like I'm going to end up skimping some of that precious butterfat.

What I do after simmering for 5-10 min is just leave it to cool and let all the proteins coagulate. Then I take out the really large chunks of coagulated protein, and then pour through a mesh strainer. All the residual non-chunked protein collects nicely at this point. I love how the fat can stay liquid at cooler temperatures than the protein

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast