Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How many times can you use bones when making bone broth? page

livewire516 is offline Junior Member

How many times can you use bones when making bone broth?

Shop Now
    I've been saving all my bones from my shoulder roasts and I've just made a batch of bone broth from them. Can I store that bone broth and make another batch with the same bones at a later point?

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

L8F
    L8F is offline Senior Member
    I've heard: Yes, you can, but the strength of taste etc weakens with each batch. Eventually they crumble from the acid in the vinegar (which is good, means your minerals are leaching into your broth)
    Started Whole30 December 31, 2011
    Integrated Leptin Reset/Jack Kruse plan Jan 13, 2012
    Starting Weight: 174.8
    CW:160.0 lbs

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Use them till they're gone.

EvansMom is offline Senior Member
    Use them until they are:
    a) gone
    b) you are tired of making stock/broth!!!!

Put into crockpot on low and reset a few times a day and it works wonders. Talk about a timesaver!

livewire516 is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for the tips. Can I rebrown them in the oven? Or I guess the question is should I rebrown them?

deepglades is offline Senior Member
    I went two rounds with about 3 pounds of bones (first try). By the time the second batch was done, I was pretty sick and tired of smelling bone broth.

Rosemary 231 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by L8F View Post
    I've heard: Yes, you can, but the strength of taste etc weakens with each batch. Eventually they crumble from the acid in the vinegar (which is good, means your minerals are leaching into your broth)
    Would the amount of vitamins, minerals and collagen also diminish with each batch?

Winterbike is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by L8F View Post
    I think it's just the effect of cooking them for a long time, not the vinegar. From my experience, after 36+ hours on the stove the bones start crumbling, vinegar or no vinegar.

Mutton is offline Senior Member
    What can do you do with the crumbly bones? I just made some bone broth (3 days simmering bones in water with some diced vegies). I've strained it all to make soup and have a big plate of bone crumble left over; is making another batch the only suggestion?

Misabi is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutton View Post
    What can do you do with the crumbly bones? I just made some bone broth (3 days simmering bones in water with some diced vegies). I've strained it all to make soup and have a big plate of bone crumble left over; is making another batch the only suggestion?
    I like munching on em :-)
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast