Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ealachan Resets Her Leptin And Talks Too Much page

Ealachan is offline Member

Ealachan Resets Her Leptin And Talks Too Much

Primal Fuel
    So, here's the thing. I'm an avid MDA reader, and a forum-lurker, but I'd never bothered to join the forums and start my own journal thread because, frankly, I was pretty half-assed on the Primal stuff up until a couple weeks ago. I'd been mostly Primal with constant tests to my resolve until I started reading about Dr. Kruse's Leptin Reset protocol. The more I read (waded through? Dude's smart, but SO hard to read), the more it made sense to me. I figured I had nothing but ass-fat to lose, so why not give it a try?

I should probably do the customary "here's a little bit about me" section, but I talk WAY too much, so here goes:

I live in (and grew up in) Vermont with my husband and dog. No kids, no desire for them. Hubs is not doing the Leptin reset with me, but he manages to stay Primal or at least lowish-carb a lot of the time. He basically eats what I put in front of him, and with the exception of Brussels sprouts, is happy about it.

I have always, always been fat. Even as a little kid, I wasn't just chubby...I was fat. I loved to run around and play, and Nintendo hadn't been invented yet, so I can't really blame inactivity for it. I think it was a combination of genetics and less-than-ideal food choices. My continued poor choices (food and otherwise...) over the course of many years led me to weigh over 400lbs by my early 20's. I remember going to the doctor when I was 20 or so - I had an ear infection. I have weird tonsils and have gotten ear infections all my life, so I knew what it felt like and when I needed antibiotics. I sat there in the doctor's office and he was like "yeah, you need antibiotics, but let me show you this BMI chart. You're OFF IT. You're going to drop dead of UTTER FATNESS." Nice approach, bro. That, of course, made me never want to go back to the doctor again, and I didn't...not for years. I dieted here and there, lost weight here, gained it back there.

I went through a bout of costochondritis (swelling of the cartiledge in the sternum - can feel like anything from a mild ache to literally something wrenching your ribs apart) starting in January 2005 that caused me to pretty much constantly feel like I was having a heart attack unless I took 800mg of ibuprofen every 6 hours religiously. The pain was all on the left side, it wrapped up around my shoulder at times, into my breast, around my back. Even though the doctors told me that there was nothing wrong with my heart, I was terrified that I was about to drop dead. I went through a period of extreme anxiety and depression, and eventually set off on the lovely (sarcasm, Batman) roller coaster of antidepressant drugs. I won't bore you with that whole saga, but suffice it to say that I lost 90lbs on one med, I gained 100lbs on the next med, I went back on the first med and lost about 75lbs, had to have my gall bladder out, got married and started cooking lots of yummy carby stuff for my husband and started slowly gaining weight again. The medicine I was on started giving me increasingly bad heart palpitations, so I weaned off of it last summer and upped my Omega-3 consumption and added a D3 supplement this fall. EUREKA! In the last 6 months, I have felt better mentally and emotionally than I have felt since my first foray into pharmaceuticals back in 2005. Seven years, man! If I didn't know that regret was a big waste of energy, I'd be regretting the shit out of losing those seven years...but that's not how I roll.

The TL; DR version of all that is: here I am, at 32 years old, weighing about 375lbs, 5'10" tall. I was heavier early in the winter, but I've backed down off the 400lb ledge some since re-adopting primal.

I don't even really care what I actually weigh anymore, though. For me, it's about what I can DO. Last fall, we took a trip to Ireland to see friends, and on the flight back, we were in seats where the armrest didn't go up. My ass literally did not fit into the seat with the armrest down. Like, not even uncomfortably. So I had to take the flight attendant aside and tell her this, then stand around in the airplane galley, totally in the way of everyone, while she got everyone else boarded and then scurried around trying to find me somewhere to sit. The only seat she could find me was half the plane's length away from my husband, and he was not allowed to come with me. I spent 6 hours trying desperately not to touch the lady in the aisle seat with my fat, and watching the back of my husband's head, wondering what he was watching on TV. It was a pretty profound experience. We like to travel - both by car and by plane, and I don't want to have to start buying two plane seats just for me, or telling my husband I can't go places with him because I won't fit. Fuck that shit. I don't want to be a supermodel. I just want to be a size that allows me to wring every last drop of goodness out of this life, because it's the only one I'm getting.

Exactly a week ago, I started the Leptin Reset with a 6oz steak, two eggs, and coffee with coconut milk for breakfast, and I haven't looked back. The first couple days were kind of rough, but I was shocked at just how quickly and easily I've been able to slide into the routine. The only problem I still have is with sleep, as my husband doesn't drive yet so I have to give him rides to and from work. He works three shifts that end at 12:30am a week, and the other two start at 4.30am. Thus, I'm getting woken up at odd hours 5 days a week, but never for more than half an hour or so at a time. I've already lost an inch off my waist, an inch off my hips, and an inch around my ribs. I know it's water that my body is letting go of, but an inch is an inch, and I'm fucking ecstatic about it.

Here are my stats in a more readable form, and a list of supps I take, etc.

32 y/o
    5'10"
    375lbs as of 2/22/12

Daily supps:

Fish Oil - 1200mg
    Antioxidant Blend - 1 pill
    Vit D3 - 6000mg
    Vit K2 - 45 MCG
    Magnesium - 250mg (before bed)
    Multivitamin

I also take 25mg of HCTZ (hydrochlorothiazide) to help control my blood pressure.

ETA: I'll post measurements later on tonight, because I think it's important to be able to look back and see how far one has come.

namelesswonder is online now Senior Member
    Hey props for kicking the anti-depressants to the curb. I wish my depression had been as simple as fish oil, I'm struggling with a whole slew of supplements to sort myself out, but it's getting better. You've reminded me that I should probably take that fish oil more regularly, I was doing daily for about a week after none at all for some time, and have recently kind of slacked off. It couldn't hurt, right?

Welcome aboard to journal land!
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Hiya - thanks for the welcome! I feel all official now.

I should mention that I also did a stint in therapy and learned a lot about mindfulness and meditation, all of which has also contributed to my being able to deal with things better mentally. I still have bad days and good days...but having gotten through this winter with no meds and a minimum of teeth-gnashing and hand-wringing has felt like a real victory to me.

The fish oil can't hurt! Set yourself a reminder on your cellphone or iPod, maybe? I have to keep all my supps out on the kitchen counter where they're right in plain view in the morning, otherwise I'll definitely forget!

Gay Panda is online now Senior Member
    Hello, Ealachan!!! I do the same thing, supplements on the counter so I can't miss them.

Quote Originally Posted by Gay Panda View Post
    Hello, Ealachan!!! I do the same thing, supplements on the counter so I can't miss them.
    It's always funny to see the look on our doctor friend's face when he comes over and sees my collection on the counter. He's an endocrinologist, but I haven't decided if he's hardcore CW or if he's more open-minded. Judging by the raised eyebrows, I'm leaning toward him being CW.

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    Hi, Ealachan. Welcome to the group. I'm new here too (on day 3). I'm interested in this leptin reset everyone seems to be talking about but right now I'm trying to get accustomed to the whole Primal thing. It's easier than I expected it to be. I look forward to following your journey. Congratulations on making the change and best of luck to you (ps, my husband is being a butt about Primal and likely won't join me).

Tuffers is offline Junior Member
    Hi,
    I enjoyed your introductory post. I will be following your journal. You give off vibes of someone who will be very successful. Your breakfast sounded awesome!

Alright, here are my "official" measurements, for all to wince at - and keep in mind that this is not the biggest I've been. I was able to wear a shirt this morning that I haven't been able to wear since pretty much this time LAST year. Here we go:

Bust: didn't actually measure this, but it's around 54". My rack tends to be the last thing to shrink when I lose weight (much to my husband's relief...haha)
    Ribs under bust: 48"
    Belly above waist: 55"
    Waist: 49" (I was up to 52 earlier in the winter, which was a huge psychological OMG for me. So happy to be back down below 50!)
    Hips / spare tire: 65". Again...not as big as it used to be. Pop your eyes back in their sockets, kthanks.
    Thighs: 33"
    Calves: 22"
    Ankles: 11.5"
    Upper Arms: 22"
    Neck: 15.5"

I'm tall - 5'10" - but I'm also...broad, for lack of a better word, so even doctors often don't believe how much I weigh until I step on a scale. Everyone in my family is broad like this, even the non-overweight ones. My mom is the shortest person in our family at 5'7". We're seriously a bunch of Amazons. I don't know if that means anything from an evolutionary standpoint or not. I just felt like putting it out there.

So, Leptin Reset Day 7 (yesterday) went like this:

Breakfast (around 8am): 5oz cooked ground beef, two eggs cooked in coconut oil, decaf coffee with coconut milk (canned, not the carton kind)
    No Lunch - started getting a little hungry around 4:30pm.
    Dinner (around 6pm): Pork chop (did not weigh), half a bunch of asparagus (probably about a cup and a half) with a tablespoon of coconut oil, 2 cups of home-made beef broth.
    Bed @ 11pm, which was kind of a fail, but I got wound up in Carl Sagan's "Cosmos" on Netflix and couldn't shut it off.

I'm finding it a lot easier to not eat lunch, now. I don't even bother to pack a "just in case" lunch anymore. I have some whey protein powder in my desk drawer for a situation in which I become so hungry that peoples' lives are in danger, though. Boy Scout motto and all that. Even though I'm not a boy. I don't think the Girl Scouts had a cool motto though, did they? I kind of failed at Girl Scouts. Well, except the cookie-selling part. I was a cookie-selling (and eating!) MACHINE.

Anywho...

Leptin Reset Day 8:

Breakfast: 1 ground turkey patty (label reckons 25g of protein) and two eggs cooked in coconut oil, coffee w/ coconut milk and a tablespoon of unsweetened cocoa powder (just for extra added fanciness. It was gooood.)

No Lunch, unless something goes terribly awry (it's only 10:15 now)

Dinner: We're going to be out playing nerdy card games tonight so I won't be home to eat. I'm going to go to the pizza joint near where we play cards and get a big chef salad or something similar. Bread holds little appeal to me anymore, so I'm not worried about slipping and falling face-first into a pizza or a sub, which is a nice feeling.
    --
    Half-assed Primal on and off for a couple years. Started back in earnest in January 2012.
    Leptin Reset started 2/29/12
    5'11" - Female - 32 Y/O
    HW: 410+ SW: 375 CW: 340-ish
    goals acheived thus far: Have ditched high-blood pressure medicine, was able to comfortably fit into a plane seat for my vacation in August 2012.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Heh...you know how I said "No lunch today unless something goes terribly awry"?

Yeah. Awry-ville. We went there. Former co-worker I haven't seen in ages stopped in and wanted to go to lunch to catch up, so I went. The place we went didn't have anything good for salads, so I got a reuben sandwich...and ate the bread. I already have heartburn. Awesome. *grumble*

Oh, well. Pick myself up, dust myself off, move the fuck on. Beating myself up over it isn't going to change anything.
    --
    Half-assed Primal on and off for a couple years. Started back in earnest in January 2012.
    Leptin Reset started 2/29/12
    5'11" - Female - 32 Y/O
    HW: 410+ SW: 375 CW: 340-ish
    goals acheived thus far: Have ditched high-blood pressure medicine, was able to comfortably fit into a plane seat for my vacation in August 2012.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast