Thread: Brooks PureGrit/Minimal shoe line page

Invictus14 is offline Member

Brooks PureGrit/Minimal shoe line

Has any one tried out the Brooks PureGrit or any of their new minimal running shoes launched in October 2011? I am looking into new trail running shoes, have both Merrell Trail Glove and NB Minimus Trail and am interested in trying another minimal trail shoe.
    I have looked at the Brooks website and read some good reviews, however, my question left unanswered by researching the site is: "What is the heel to toe differential?"
    After using both the NB's and Merrell's I have preference toward the Merrell because of the zero diff. I am in the Army and want to wear them for PT, so VFF's are not an option. Thanks.
    "Most men stop when they begin to tire. Good men go until they think they will collapse. But the VERY BEST men know that the mind tires before the body and push themselves beyond all limits. Only when all of these limits have been shattered can the unattainable be reached." ~Dan Gable

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    i haven't. i have severe brand loyalty so i stick with vibram and merrell. but, it's good to see that brooks is getting on board with a barefoot shoe; i remember them being really anti barefoot a couple of years ago.

a lot of good running stores will let you take them out for a test run, so you can try them yourself. brooks makes really good shoes, so you can expect them to be pretty good...but i wouldn't expect them to have zero drop.

fishin-frog is offline Member
    According to the Pure Grit Spec sheet on Brooks web site the "offset" is 4mm. I assume that means the heel to toe drop. From what I understand that is about in line with the New Balance minimus. Looks like they have a much more padded sole than the other brnads you mentioned. You should look into Altra Adams as well. I now have vivo barefoot (old model), merrel true glove, vff (many models), and the altra adams. I now run primarily in the altras. The only draw-back I've found is they tend to develop a funk even faster than the VFFs even with the mesh panels.

Busphan is offline Junior Member
    Just an FYI, New Balance just released the minimus zero in trail and road shoes. I have not tried them but they are zero drop.

primalrob, thank you for the insight, I wore a pair of Brooks Cascadia for about 6-8 months and was a big fan of them for trails until I transitioned to minimal/barefoot running. I would love to go to a running store, unfortunately I am in Afhanistan right now, so a test run is not much of an option. I will likely hold off as long as I can with my NB Trails and Merrells, but I have already put about a good 8 months on each.

fishin-frog, Thanks for finding those specs, I couldn't for the life of me. They do look like they are more padded than the NB's and Merrells. Thank you also for recommending the Altra's, I am going to look them up for sure.

Busphan, Saw the NB's "0" and will consider them in the future due to my fondness of the original NB's, thank you.
    "Most men stop when they begin to tire. Good men go until they think they will collapse. But the VERY BEST men know that the mind tires before the body and push themselves beyond all limits. Only when all of these limits have been shattered can the unattainable be reached." ~Dan Gable

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hey fishin-frog, how do thos altras run in size compared to the merrells? I wear like a 9-9.5 (w/socks, Army rules). I am thinking about putting in a order for the Samson while I am over here. Thanks again for the good info.