Thread: Sense of Smell page

MichaelA is offline Senior Member

Primal Fuel

I started Paleo, then turned a bit PB later, so I am somewhere in between right now. For the last 3 months. I feel incredible!!!

Along with the way I feel I started to experience a much more than before sense of smell. I mean, right now I feel the smell of a guy that smokes while staying in traffic 10 cars in front. I started to differentiate the smell of cars exhaust gases. I smell dogs and cats and alot of new stuff I NEVER smelled before. Human body odors... I differentiate deodorant and actual sweat... on me and others

Anyone experiencing anything close?

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member

Not to that extent, but yes smells and tastes seem a lot stronger to me now...although I've no idea why that would be, apart from not being clogged up by snot and inflammation (niiiiice)....

MichaelA is offline Senior Member

Yes, taste too, but not at that extent as smell.

LX
    LX is offline Senior Member

I've always been what they call a "Supertaster." That means I'm lots of fun to take to wine tastings.

Me: I taste pink peppercorns and plums.

Fiance: I taste wine.

But yes, my sense of taste does seem to be getting stronger. Haven't noticed a change in my sense of smell yet, but since they're closely tied together I'm sure it's getting more acute.

verdilak is offline Member

My sense of smell and my sense of taste seem to both be getting stronger. Though, sometimes my sense of smell seems like it's on the fritz, because I am used to having something smell one way, and now it smells completely different, so I am constantly asking my wife to "here, smell this for me".

Ism's in my opinion are not good. A person should not believe in an -ism, he should believe in himself. I quote John Lennon, "I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me."--Ferris Bueller, 1986
    Check me out @ my blog: Retrospective Caveman
    I set up a Facebook Group for all those who are eating and living Paleo/Primal

Dagny is offline Member

I have also always been a supertaster and smeller (since taste is 80% smell...) And since it is my job to taste and smell things (wine buyer,) I have definately noticed the difference since going primal.

AlanBradin is offline Junior Member

Hey Michael. Congrats on the new discovery. I've seen this in a couple instances. When people quit smoking or another type of toxic habit, many will talk about being able to smell or taste better. This also happens a lot when fasting, intermittently or otherwise.

It's interesting that you've been eating cleanly for 3 months and only had this happen after going primal from paleo. Either way, it's nothing but good news!

ChrisJ is offline Member

Is it possible this is comes with a lack of dairy? Less mucus etc might be relevant.

Apparently I suck at life, so I'm crowd-sourcing my decisions, and sharing what I learn.

My fresh start in London

Minxxa is offline Senior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

I've definitely noticed this, especially in regards to sweet things.

My coworker often has this horrible brown sugar oatmeal in the mornings and the taste literally is so sweet it makes me nauseous. I've had to leave the area before.

Of course I can't say anything because to everybody else it doesn't smell "bad" at all... and I don't need any more hints of craziness than I already have...

M

"Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid