Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Chronic Lower Back Pain Solutions??? page 2

patski is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I actually recommend doing CrossFit.

A little over a week ago, I went to my local CrossFit gym. They are familiar with myself and my fiancÚ, as we used to go there back in the day.

After discussing my back injury, what hurts, what I can/cannot do, I had an excellent workout that was tailored to me. The next day, I had NO PAIN WHATSOEVER. So, I went back a few days later, and actually did a WOD! I felt great! I still do, and I'm going back this Thursday.

CrossFit coaches deal with this stuff all the time. They know their stuff. Look into one, and have a good long talk with a trainer. They will set you up with a program that will help your back feel great in no time.
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

cdma is offline Junior Member
    I had five bulging disc's about 8 years ago. I am down to 2. The first time I ran into these when I was unable to get off the floor. I was a big time golfer so getting my back back was very important. Now I am able to play golf pain free. Yes there are those days when I am a little sore but for the most part I am doing great. I do exercises on a exercise ball and I hang from my inversion machine for 3 minutes a day. Someone spoke of the McKenzie back pain exercises. A lot of those I do. They key is to build up your core and DO YOUR EXERCISES EVERY DAY.

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    I need to do better about not hurting my back. I initially hurt it in high-school doing deadlift, when I didn't lift weights at all and had no idea of proper form. It hurt for about a week and has "flared-up" intermittently ever since (I'm 26 now).

Four weeks ago I acutely hurt my back. It had been hurting on and off for the previous two weeks but that day I think I had an acute disc rupture. It actually happened when I was trying to do dumbbell split squats. The skin on my lower leg went partially numb and it still is now, though it's greatly diminished.

I had an MRI done and it showed a large disc bulge between L4-L5 and a smaller one at L5-S1. I'm going to a physical therapist tomorrow and will see the doc in 5 more weeks.

I guess I'm just adding my experience and asking if anyone has had a similar experience. At first I was really scared that the numbness was not going to go away. Now I'm hopeful that it will. Even if it doesn't, I feel like my muscles are finally all firing correctly again.

I've also heard that disc-related pain can get better over the long term, since eventually the nucleus pulposis is basically all gone and can't bulge anymore.

catholicchick is offline Senior Member
    I have been primal for about 3 years now. I have been suffering from lower back pain for over a year and unfortunately started eating poorly due to emotional eating with the back pain. I have a bulging disc at L5-S1 with numbness in my right foot (toes to mid shin). Just this past week I had an epidural to try to cure the bulging on my nerves to see if I can get some feeling back in my toes. The doc said that most people need two to three shots for relief. I am hopeful that permanent damage has not been done to the nerves and that I can get some feeling back in my toes.

I am looking for a kick in the butt to get back primal again and trying to figure out the best exercises to do to strengthen my core without aggravating my back. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by catholicchick View Post
    I have been primal for about 3 years now. I have been suffering from lower back pain for over a year and unfortunately started eating poorly due to emotional eating with the back pain. I have a bulging disc at L5-S1 with numbness in my right foot (toes to mid shin). Just this past week I had an epidural to try to cure the bulging on my nerves to see if I can get some feeling back in my toes. The doc said that most people need two to three shots for relief. I am hopeful that permanent damage has not been done to the nerves and that I can get some feeling back in my toes.

I am looking for a kick in the butt to get back primal again and trying to figure out the best exercises to do to strengthen my core without aggravating my back. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
    I feel your pain (literally). I still have numbness on my medial shin, extending down to my ankle. The first week after the initial injury I actually ate a lot less and was kinda depressed. But I've since gone back to upper body lifting (and some lower body, I'm sure the doc and PT would be pissed if they knew about that) and eating like I normally do. I don't think the lifting has done any harm, but I might be wrong.

I heard about Regenokine earlier today. Not sure if it is just woo or not. It basically sounds like injecting your own platelets into an injury site, but it's another option to try before surgery.

WildGrok is offline Junior Member
    Hi,my 10 cents here:
    Ten years ago I had a slipped disk L4-L5, with 95% blocking of the area of the nerve. I learned that from MRI done after months of pain that no therapy could fix (avid pilates and yoga at that time). Disectomy arthroscopic surgery fixed it 100%: I did my google homework (extensive), read about the article that says: when you follow 2 group of cases of slipped disks cases for 10 years, one with surgery and another without, they end up cured after 10 years.
    Yes but this is the question:

HOW DID YOU SPEND THOSE 10 YEARS IF YOU DID NOT HAVE THE SURGERY?

I chose the surgery. It was magic,like turning the pain switch off. I have a strong and flexible back now.
    And now that my workouts are primal, with lots of movement, my range of motion is much better, better than most (I would say all) the thirty years old that train in the gym (I turned 60 this year)

If the protruding disk is not that bad (as it was my case) you can fix it with exercise (the right ones):BUY THIS BOOK:"8 steps for a pain free back". It changed my life

Quote Originally Posted by WildGrok View Post
    Hi,my 10 cents here:
    Ten years ago I had a slipped disk L4-L5, with 95% blocking of the area of the nerve. I learned that from MRI done after months of pain that no therapy could fix (avid pilates and yoga at that time). Disectomy arthroscopic surgery fixed it 100%: I did my google homework (extensive), read about the article that says: when you follow 2 group of cases of slipped disks cases for 10 years, one with surgery and another without, they end up cured after 10 years.
    Yes but this is the question:

HOW DID YOU SPEND THOSE 10 YEARS IF YOU DID NOT HAVE THE SURGERY?

I chose the surgery. It was magic,like turning the pain switch off. I have a strong and flexible back now.
    And now that my workouts are primal, with lots of movement, my range of motion is much better, better than most (I would say all) the thirty years old that train in the gym (I turned 60 this year)

If the protruding disk is not that bad (as it was my case) you can fix it with exercise (the right ones):BUY THIS BOOK:"8 steps for a pain free back". It changed my life
    Thanks very much for sharing your experience.

Glockin Grok is offline Senior Member
    +1000 to all of the above...

But let me recommend picking up a rumble roller... it does WONDERS for tight back muscles

Rebbeca A. Qualls is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Martha View Post
    This book is wonderful. There is a short set of exercises to do before you even get out of bed. When i do them, the whole day goes better.

Amazon.com: Breathworks for Your Back (9780380790449): Nancy Swayzee: Books
    I agree with you.... Good reply...

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Glockin Grok View Post
    +1000 to all of the above...

But let me recommend picking up a rumble roller... it does WONDERS for tight back muscles
    Interesting that you say this, because I just got a rumble roller last week. While it does feel great on the tight muscles in my mid and lower back, it has really aggravated my lower back. I have a flare of pain in my iliosacral joint that is really bothering me now too. I am planning to return it. Did you have any issues with that?
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast