Thread: Ambrosia Salad page

Grok is offline Senior Member

Ambrosia Salad

I'm trying to make some ambrosia salad.

I whipped up some heavy cream into whipped cream and added stevia to sweeten it, and some vanilla extract as well. After that is done, I fold in some sour cream to thicken it up a bit, then I fold in the can of fruit cocktail (drained). Serve chilled.

I picked up some fruit cocktail packed in pear juice in a can, but I'm thinking fresh fruit is probably better.

I saw some recipes which add coconut flakes as well. I'm omitting the marshmallow of course.

This salad is "healthy", right? Because it tastes too good for it to be good for you.

Anyway, anyone else have any good ambrosia salad recipes they would like to share?
    Last edited by Grok; 03-06-2012 at 05:08 PM. Reason: drain pear juice out of fruit cocktail before adding

GrokON is offline Senior Member
    Fresh fruit is better because the canned stuff has juice from concentrate, which usually does contain sugar that the label doesn't have to list. Even if you drain off the juice, which is better (as you indicate you do), the fruit is still cooked to be canned and that's not ideal.

Other than that, sounds yummy! I use vanilla and stevia in my whipped cream all the time (100% organic, unhomogenized cream) and put it over fresh fruit. Yummy!
    5'6" Female, 29 Years Old, 260/195/120

"Discipline is choosing between what you want NOW, and what you want MOST!"

Grok is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GrokON View Post
    Fresh fruit is better because the canned stuff has juice from concentrate, which usually does contain sugar that the label doesn't have to list. Even if you drain off the juice, which is better (as you indicate you do), the fruit is still cooked to be canned and that's not ideal.

Other than that, sounds yummy! I use vanilla and stevia in my whipped cream all the time (100% organic, unhomogenized cream) and put it over fresh fruit. Yummy!
    Yeah, using fruit cocktail is the traditional way of making it, but you could use any fruit. I was thinking about making a version with berries and maybe some mandarin orange and/or pineapple chunks.

I tried it with and without the added sour cream. I like it better with the sour cream, it gives it a better texture and taste IMO.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Ok... I admit,being from the south, when I first saw the title of this thread I thought "IMPOSSIBLE!!!"

But... evidently it's NOT!
    Fresh fruit in a creamy vanilla whip. Nice! Who needs marshmallows anyway? I always hated when the Ambrosia was loaded with them!
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

MrsToon is offline Senior Member
    my fave fruit salad includes supremed oranges, apple chunks, bananas, strawberries, blueberries, and pineapple. mix with whipped cream and top with toasted coconut. I don't usually sweeten the whipped cream as the fruit is plenty sweet enough.

Danielle5690 is offline Senior Member
    I have to admit I clicked this thread out of sheer morbid curiosity, because I've always found ambrosia salad positively disgusting. But the way you made it sounds pretty good! I'll have to try it some time... maybe I can even get my diabetic MIL to eat it that way instead of the sugar-bomb variety.

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    My parents always used madarin oranges, pineapple, and shredded coconut in theirs. I can see that being good with everything being fresh.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Danielle5690 View Post
    I have to admit I clicked this thread out of sheer morbid curiosity, because I've always found ambrosia salad positively disgusting. But the way you made it sounds pretty good! I'll have to try it some time... maybe I can even get my diabetic MIL to eat it that way instead of the sugar-bomb variety.
    I had the exact same thought. I never liked the stuff. My eldest sister is obssessed with it. She has to have it at every family picnic or holiday dinner.

I wonder if I can sneak this in. Maybe if she doesn't know I was the one who made it.

ottercat is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    when I was little my Mom used to make it with yogurt, I think. If you don't want to do dairy there's coconut yogurt.
    Cooking Primal with Otter - Journal
    Otter's (Defunct) Primal Log
    "Not baked goods, Professor, baked bads!" ~ The Tick