Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Warning against Ketogenic diets during pregnancy page

activia is offline Senior Member

Warning against Ketogenic diets during pregnancy

Primal Fuel
    There are studies done that found that if women are on a ketogenic diet during pregnancy the gene expression on the baby is changed as the baby thinks it is going into a starvation environment and changes their metabolism permanently to store fat. Ketogenic diets over long periods of time can also cause your t3/t4 ratio out of whack which screws up your thyroid.

Final Note: Primal/Paleo does not have to be ketogenic
    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

Nady is offline Senior Member
    I suppose if Grok's mate was PG and only ate meat, it would account for the *thrifty gene* we keep hearing about?

Quote Originally Posted by Nady View Post
    I suppose if Grok's mate was PG and only ate meat, it would account for the *thrifty gene* we keep hearing about?
    Seems very plausible. I'm glad I found that out before hand because I'll certainly make a point to eat a lot more carbs then I do now when I'm pregnant (since now I only eat >100g a couple days a week, with some days <50)
    Primal since March 2011

Jen AlcesAlces is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by activia View Post
    There are studies done that found that if women are on a ketogenic diet during pregnancy the gene expression on the baby is changed as the baby thinks it is going into a starvation environment and changes their metabolism permanently to store fat. Ketogenic diets over long periods of time can also cause your t3/t4 ratio out of whack which screws up your thyroid.

Final Note: Primal/Paleo does not have to be ketogenic
    Hi, do you have any links for the studies? When I googled I didn't have much luck. I do keep my carbs above100 anyway (due to an already-screwed-up thyroid) and have increased it to be over 150 now. So it's not a concern for me, but I'm pregnant and am curious about it. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Jen AlcesAlces View Post
    Hi, do you have any links for the studies? When I googled I didn't have much luck. I do keep my carbs above100 anyway (due to an already-screwed-up thyroid) and have increased it to be over 150 now. So it's not a concern for me, but I'm pregnant and am curious about it. Thanks!
    Sorry Chris said it during a podcast. I'd have to listen to it again to catch the exact details enabling me to find the study. It's possible it wasnt done on humans? He's just starting to get transcripts and links to the studies in his podcasts.. and this is an older one that hasnt yet been transcribed, hopefully soon. After I'm done listening to this one I'll get back to that one and see if I can find out more details for ya. Or you can listen yourself and add to this thread

Low cholesterol is associated with higher risk of death in women
    Primal since March 2011

paleo pika is offline Member
    Yeah, where are you getting that info from?

maybe this is it?
    http://ep.physoc.org/content/55/2/83.full.pdf

I'm still working on it.. I am running it now, its about mid way so it will probably be about 20 min
    Primal since March 2011

aussiesue is offline Member
    Hi,
    I just googled, and found this page Ketogenic Diet For Pregnancy | LIVESTRONG.COM
    It only mentions diabetic ketoacidosis, and says "No studies have specifically tested the effects of ketosis during pregnancy" This article was dated July 14, 2011

It's specifically to do with blood sugar levels during pregnancy...
    Ideal: 63-79

So its good to test your blood sugar during pregnancy..a lot even.

I think this is what he is talking about: Diabetes Update: Normal Blood Sugars in Pregnancy which was published in October 2011..here they found that too high blood sugar can cause high birth weight and that their genes were different, so he is saying that the inverse is true as well.

So very low carb diets will cause you to have very low blood sugar, which is what is causing what I said before. So he is saying that its key to keep your blood sugar at a "middle" ground. So you want at least 50-100g during pregnancy. To keep you out of ketosis.
    Last edited by activia; 03-06-2012 at 02:18 PM.
    Primal since March 2011

meatismyfriend is offline Junior Member
    Chris Kresser talks about this a little in his personal paleo code. Probably good to have more carbs for pregnant women.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast