Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Warning against Ketogenic diets during pregnancy page 2

activia is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by meatismyfriend View Post
    Chris Kresser talks about this a little in his personal paleo code. Probably good to have more carbs for pregnant women.
    That is who I'm talking about actually But I think every paleo blogger I've read about says that you should eat higher carbs during pregnancy and nursing.. interesting even during the paleo summit the women that hates starches had an except maybe for pregnant women..
    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    well if that's true, then my kids should be skinny little people all their lives!

Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse View Post
    well if that's true, then my kids should be skinny little people all their lives!
    For this you want your blood sugar in that ideal range 61-79....although who knows exactly. Personally what makes sense to me is you would not be in ketosis MOST of the time but still maybe on lower end of the carb range around 100g, maybe at most 1 day a week you would, as well as one day a week being high... but thats just my opinion...I dont think we can know this for sure.
    Primal since March 2011

Misabi is offline Senior Member
    I don't have a reference, but I read something similar last year, on here I think, saying that if women in the were eating lower carb during pregnancy then the child was more likely to grow up overweight.

IIRC One of the questions asked was what kind of diet did the children grow up eating? Were they also eating a lower carb diet, or a sugar, processed grain filled diet?

I guess the point that was being made was that just because women in a study were on a low carb (whatever that means) diet during their pregnancy, it doesn't mean it was a healthy diet and nor does it mean that their children grew up eating a healthy diet but still became overweight. So, are the children of a woman eating a healthy paleo/primal diet (which is generally naturally lower in carbs than SAD, whether we class it as low carb or not), who grow up also eating the same way in any more likely to end up being overweight? I think not.
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

Quote Originally Posted by Misabi View Post
    I don't have a reference, but I read something similar last year, on here I think, saying that if women in the were eating lower carb during pregnancy then the child was more likely to grow up overweight.

IIRC One of the questions asked was what kind of diet did the children grow up eating? Were they also eating a lower carb diet, or a sugar, processed grain filled diet?

I guess the point that was being made was that just because women in a study were on a low carb (whatever that means) diet during their pregnancy, it doesn't mean it was a healthy diet and nor does it mean that their children grew up eating a healthy diet but still became overweight. So, are the children of a woman eating a healthy paleo/primal diet (which is generally naturally lower in carbs than SAD, whether we class it as low carb or not), who grow up also eating the same way in any more likely to end up being overweight? I think not.
    We are not talking about a low carb diet we are talking about a ketogenic very low carb diet. Which the Primal diet really isn't in its main template, but can be practiced as such.
    Primal since March 2011

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Your analysis seems spot on to me activia.

Misabi has a good point IMO ...

So I would say eat moderate carb not low carb when you conceive.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Quote Originally Posted by paleo-bunny View Post
    So I would say eat moderate carb not low carb when you conceive.
    And during gestation/breast feeding. I would also have the child on a moderate carb diet once they eat all solid foods. This all can be done within the primal blueprint philosphies.
    Primal since March 2011

Quote Originally Posted by activia View Post
    And during gestation/breast feeding. I would also have the child on a moderate carb diet once they eat all solid foods. This all can be done within the primal blueprint philosphies.
    Yes, even creep into the insidious weight gain zone during gestation and feeding. 150 g + carbs a day is certainly not excessive in those circumstances.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

mike_h is offline Senior Member
    There was an awful event in World War II known as the Dutch Hunger Winter which as a combination of a German embargo on food imports and a brutal winter. A lot of people starved. Women who were pregnant at the time did give birth to children with altered gene expressions, who much later in their own lives are far more likely to be overweight. The foetus gets signals about what sort of a place the world is like to try and survive in, and when the mother is starving the baby will have a tendency to store every bit of fat it can during later life, even when food is available.

Now full on starvation is certainly not the same as Ketosis, but it seems plausible that there's is some overlap there. An adult body copes fine with moderate Ketosis, but I think a foetus may well see that as a sign that food is scarce.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by mike_h View Post
    There was an awful event in World War II known as the Dutch Hunger Winter which as a combination of a German embargo on food imports and a brutal winter. A lot of people starved. Women who were pregnant at the time did give birth to children with altered gene expressions, who much later in their own lives are far more likely to be overweight. The foetus gets signals about what sort of a place the world is like to try and survive in, and when the mother is starving the baby will have a tendency to store every bit of fat it can during later life, even when food is available.

Now full on starvation is certainly not the same as Ketosis, but it seems plausible that there's is some overlap there. An adult body copes fine with moderate Ketosis, but I think a foetus may well see that as a sign that food is scarce.
    +1. Epigenetics can act against one's best intentions.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast