Page 2 of 247 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Monday Is The Day!/ NoSaladWithoutMeat page 2

Iceskater is offline Junior Member

Shop Now

Thanks for your post, its really inspiring! Some interesting styles of eating you have experimented with, Im really glad you found PB, and are now trying to embrace the lifestyle.

Achieving health (and secondly, ideal body composition), is an ongoing journey, and it seems like you've learned a lot through your experiences. Ive gone through similar frustrating times dealing with rapid weight loss (through the wrong methods), gain, bingeing, and the emotional stuff that comes with it. But it feels good to finally take control.

Jealous of all the game/meat you have in quebec! Im heading by there this summer for school, maybe we could have a primal lunch!

Keep at it, itll be worth the efforts.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

Wow, you have such a wonderful selection of foods. My local grocery is pretty good, but we can't get horse here. I've been wanting to try it.

Sharon C. is offline Junior Member

Hi-

I'm new here, too. Good luck with your PB adventure.

I was bad- very bad. 2 years ago, I hit over 150 pounds. I'm just under 5'9" (and also an hourglass) so for a while I got away with extra weight- but I'll tell you what- once I got over the 150 mark there was no getting away with it anymore- I was really starting to show it.

I swore off alcohol and joined a gym. Along the way I discovered South Beach Diet, and within 6 weeks brought my body fat from 37% down to 28% and hit 125. I went from outgrowing my size 10's to needing a 6 (in Gap Long and Leans.) I was thrilled with that, actually- very happy.

Once I took off that weight, I began dabbling again in the "bad foods". At first it was only occasionally, having ice cream or cake, or baking brownies. No sooner had I began dabbling in junk food when I began to see my weight creep up again. At first it was just 2 pounds, then 3, then 4, then 5.

I was great for a year and a half, but, the second half of last year was the worst. When I saw the weight coming back on, I just couldn't stop it. The holidays were around and from Halloween to New Years, I just went on a binge and ate all the stuff I had managed to avoid. And I noticed something. Especially once it was reintroduced.

I think the biggest mistake I made was reintroducing sugar into my diet. It seemed like I was fine when it was gone, and once I brought it back, it was uncontrollable. I believed I was a sugar addict.

So I tried South Beaching it again and it just didn't seem to work like the first time. I kept having cravings, I kept overdoing the carb portion of the meals because I was HUNGRY.

I googled "sugar addiction" and stumbled onto Mark's blog. After a few days of reading, I ordered the book and planned to start New Year's Day.

Well, I did that. I quit the sugar once again, and am about 95% primal. I eat no soy or peanut, but I occasionally have beans, in small amount, and rarely. I also eat 72% or 86% dark chocolate when I can't help it and need a bite of something. I avoid dried fruits because they trigger a craving.

I went all through January, doing great. I lost the 11 pounds I gained back, and then some. My 6's were seeming stretched out and not looking so great, so I went to Gap to get new jeans. But when I put on the 6's those seemed stretched out, too. That's when I realized they weren't stretched out. They were TOO BIG. So I went for the 4's. And they were roomy as well. So then I went for a 2- and OMG, they fit. You know when I've been a size 2? NEVER!!!

And I am NOT looking anorexic, either. I have plenty of meat still on my bones, and my curves REALLY show, now! My husband can't believe how great my body responded to the PB diet and of course I still work out, but only now it's more fun and not a chronic thing that I "push" on myself. Oh, and I'm 39- I'll be 40 this August and you know what? I do not look my age. I went from actually looking my age to (friends told me) I look no more than 28. I cannot believe how my body looked then and how it looks now.

I plan to NOT go back to sugar and grains, ever. I know I am a sugar addict- it is not good for me. I can't control that in my life. So, right now, while I am off it (even the dark 86% chocolate only has 5 grams of sugar- it doesn't spark the powerful cravings I get from the really sweet stuff)- but while I am here- at this great place in my life- I don't want that old life back. I do not want those cravings and that addicted feeling.

I wish you success.

NoSaladWithoutMeat is online now Senior Member

Iceskater, I'd love to have a primal lunch! Oh Gosh, it'd be awesome to eat in peace without having to explain why I'm putting so much butter on my steak and how come I'm not dead from doing that every day!

Let me know when you do, I'll cook you rabbit

Gee, Diana, I'm not surprised after I've read your posts at the "Bug Eating Forum"

But is it just me? I'd try anything but horse. I don't even mind frying up the little bunnies, but horses! They're such noble, beautiful creatures. Not to mention very muscular, shouldn't their meat be extra tough?

P.S My milk fed veal ribs stew (a mouthful) was a raging success.

I don't pretend to be much of a cook, but here's what I did.

I soaked the graded cabbage and carrot in lime and red wine vinegar with salt and pepper. Fried the ribs (just a bit), then the tomatoes with the onion, then the cabbage a little. Then I let it simmer in a pot for a while. I added a glass of water, but maybe I shouldn't have because the vegetables and meat gave so much juice on their own.

It had a tangy taste, and the ribs were so tender! Yum!

There comes a time when you become so fat and sick that you're suddenly willing to listen.

Unsolicited Advice Is Welcome Here.

New Objective: get rid of water retention! My face looks puffy all the time and it makes me feel uglier than I already feel! ><

There comes a time when you become so fat and sick that you're suddenly willing to listen.

Legerity is offline Junior Member

Good luck with your goals, we all deserve to feel happy and healthy. I look forward to seeing your progress! I&#39;m also just starting with this lifestyle so I&#39;m curious to see how things turn out. Keep us updated

Shine is offline Member

Welcome, NoSalad! I often end up in a similar situation as yours, with an hourglass figures that disguises early weight gain until suddenly none of my pants fit. Actually, I just had this happen last fall and I still have not been able to really get that number on the scale to go back down (or squeeze into my skinny jeans again).

Water retention is a problem for me, too; I usually have to be super careful about how much salt I consume or I get puffy very easily. (Or at least I *feel* puffy, which is just as bad as actually being puffy in my opinion, lol.)

Cheers on embarking on a quest for health, maybe I will get reinspired to get back on my own healthy plan.

Kryz is offline Junior Member

I&#39;ll be scheduling an appointment with my gynecologist soon. I&#39;ve been on birth control since I was 15 or 16 (now 21) so that I could have periods (I was never told 100% if I had PCOS or not). Since you have personal experience with this, do you think I should bring up going off of birth control when I meet with him? How would I explain it? I haven&#39;t noticed any bizarro effects of birth control on me, but if I can get my period without taking a pill every day, it&#39;d be kind of nice. I absolutely want to have kids some day and I don&#39;t want to mess with my fertility.

thanks for reading ^_^

you should make one too to track your progress!

PiBdate (my version of Update):

Did I mention my stew was awesome? &#39;Cause it was. I just ate a pound of ribs with cabbage for breakfast.

Today, I&#39;m gonna make a Bison steak and I&#39;m really nervous about screwing it up

I&#39;m gonna go with the pan-oven method and watch a ton of videos on how to make steak tender.

Wish me luck, friends! <3

Kryz, I would go off birth control ASAP! Are you sexually active? Make him wear a condom, you&#39;re letting him touch you- it should be privilege enough, he should bow down and do as he&#39;s told ><

Anyways, haha.

My near-death experience was my first (and last time) at the gynaecologist&#39;s and she put me on a birth control that reacted badly with my acne antibiotics (tetracycline; antibiotics another bad call, because while back then I only had acne, now I have PCOS, allergies, weakened immune system just because of the antibiotics).

I started bleeding, and I didn&#39;t stop. I&#39;m talking not even for a minute, I would bleed and bleed and (you got the picture) until I got pale, could barely move and lost 4 pounds (I take it was blood weight). I had to wear diapers and couldn&#39;t move, I wanted to go to the hospital but from my experience doctors have done nothing for me.

Enter: the internet (*chorus music*)!

First I found out that A) it is very clear and known to all that my specific acne medication VOIDS the birth control and can have (a very long list of) side effects if taken together (not to mention I could have gotten knocked up as well). What was that stupid doctor thinking, I do not know, but I&#39;m sure she failed the "how to not kill your patient" class in med school.

B) I found this ancient book of homeopathy that told me in very casual terms, eat nothing but vegetables and high-fat milk and it&#39;ll stop in three days.

And you know what? Day three, like clockwork - it stopped.

The point of the story is: be your own doctor, and let your food be your medicine. I can tell so many horror stories about these Gods in the white coats (because that&#39;s how society sees doctors) but beside treating the symptoms or making things worse they&#39;ve done nothing for me. Every single ache or pain was either &#39;cured&#39; by my own body or with the help of my family.

I would advise you to go to a naturopath instead, if you really need the help, but when it comes to making a decision regarding your health - trust your body, listen to it, it will always tell you what it likes and what it doesn&#39;t!

Tell him you want off, you don&#39;t need to explain yourself. Tell him you just want to see how you feel off of it for a while. Doctors get paid &#39;royalties&#39; for pushing a certain drug, so yes he might object, but the decision is yours.

Seek other options! Go to a naturopath, I am positive he/she can offer an alternative that isn&#39;t as damaging to your body as birth control!

(even if you didn&#39;t get any side effects, your natural body&#39;s rhythm shouldn&#39;t be interrupted with an inhibiting drug! Try PB!)

Hope I could help ^_^

Page 2 of 247 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast