Page 13 of 247 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113 ... LastLast

Thread: Monday Is The Day!/ NoSaladWithoutMeat page 13

ChrisJ is offline Member

Primal Fuel

I see where we differ here. I think Rage's lyrics are pretty powerful, but I like my lyrics to be sung, rather than shouted, and I find it hard to listen to Zack's vocals. I've also never really enjoyed Morello's style of guitar playing either, though I liked his audioslave stuff better. Haven't really taken the time to compare the two much before.

There are definitely some common threads in the two bands, but when I compare Rage to SOAD's songs like Soldier Side, I really cannot see these two being as similar as you say. But that's just my take.

I am right with you not listening to albums on shuffle. In my opinion the best albums are those that flow together and form a whole. (Another reason you'll like Rishloo's Eidolon.)

Apparently I suck at life, so I'm crowd-sourcing my decisions, and sharing what I learn.

My fresh start in London

DarthFriendly is offline Banned

Nah, NSwoM I'm cool because I listen to the Fugs. And remember Tool, Rage Against the Machine, Jane's Addiction, and all the rest from 20 years ago. Along with 1000 other bands you've never heard of.

Mostly though I'm into Metal.

Damn I'm cool. (And old.)

ChrisJ is offline Member

Darth, I want to be as cool as you when I'm old.

Apparently I suck at life, so I'm crowd-sourcing my decisions, and sharing what I learn.

My fresh start in London

NoSaladWithoutMeat is offline Senior Member

Darth, sweety, I probably haven't heard of them for the same reasons you have: 1) I'm not 80. 2) They suck.

But if you wanna play it like that, I'm sure I know of a thousand bands you've never heard of :P And so does my 12 year old cousin who listens to Miley Cyrus and a thousand other bands I would rather not know about.

Chris, I've listened to Rishloo's Scissorclips. At first I thought they sounded like Blind Guardian but at the end of the song I totally got the Tool vibe :]

A lot of melodies coming together with a similar rhythm while the lead singer's voice breaking through this musical mess :] Very Tool-like!

Aaron, our hip-hop talk on facebook got me thinking of Atmosphere and the Flobots. Do you know of them? Atmosphere is an incredible underground rapper and his lyrics are pure poetry. My ex is an aspiring rapper so he would drag me to underground shows of Eyedea and Abilities, Brother Ali and Atmosphere. I've never considered hip-hop as anything more than recycled music, spreading sexist nonsense but I suppose that's limited to some mainstream rappers.

All the hip-hop artists I mentioned above have a unique political message, they talk about love and life and they do is so brilliantly that it redefines your life's philosophy. Check'em out!

Yes! Yes! Billy Howerdel! I would pretend I'm in the moshpit section of the stage and yell "Billy, make me a baby!"; Of course I never got to go to any concerts

One question still remains though... who the fuck is Brian?!

And I have to agree with Aaron. RatM is an acquired taste (kinda like the Pumpkins; I needed to get used to Corgan's nasal voice. Now it sends shivers down my spine). I wouldn't spends hours listening to them while on a subway, but when I'm in my room and feel like kicking the ass of an imaginary evil societal force, then I'll definitely be listening to Zacky :] Or that 'Click Click Boom' song by Saliva (don't judge me!)

I think what makes SOAD so 'accessible' to a variety of listeners (and that's probably Serj's point) is the simplicity of the lyrics and rhythm. All their songs follow the same pattern: insanely fast and heavy riffs, a repetitive slightly funny lyrical phrase (usually with a hidden message of peace or something) and then a quiet, melodic part ("so you want to see the show... you really don't have to be a ho" ) etc.

While RatM really don't give a shit whether they appeal to the mainstream or not. Nor do they care about tearing your eardrum :P

Speaking of spine tingling voices... remember O Type Negative? Dang, Peter Steele would get me hot and bothered with "Black No. 1"! aaargg!

Deftones' Chino Moreno also has a sexy voice... mmm...

Fuck, I can't believe I didn't mention that one of my all time favourite bands is Jefferson Airplane! Fuck me! Grace Slick is a goddeeeessss. I'm perfectly comfortable with my sexuality, but if I've met her on one of JA's tours I'd be a converted lesbian then and there! She's my role model, in spite of her self-proclaimed vegetarianism.

Iceskater, I can't wait! And I'd loooooove to go backpacking but I'm afraid we'd have to survive solely on our people skills and the fact that we're BABES

Maybe some cute American boys would attend to our needs along the way, what do you say, lads? :]

"The penis is the male animal-flower, a soft-firm dildo, a warm dream."
    -Raymond Peat, PhD

Double-A is offline Junior Member

I'm game

Just a heads up, a bunch of us (including Danish) are planning a backpacking-type trip on the Appalachian trail sometime probably this summer. If you were seriously considering a vacation, we could divulge our plans to you.

One thing I really love about SoaD are the harmonies. I'm a BIG fan of harmony... why I love the Eagles so much. I also like how they can go from being extremely deep to being completely ridiculous, sometimes in the span of one song.

And definitely a good point about Rage - one of the things I love about 'em

Jefferson Airplane is pretty freakin great. 'Classic rock' is a big chunk of my musical interest - I've seen Rush, Deep Purple, the Scorpions, Kansas, Yes and Tom Petty in concert (as well as Motley Crue, Skid Row and Poison.. so silly, but so awesome )

Corgan is awesome. I wish he wasn't such a tool, and I wish his music hadn't gone to shit, but Siamese Dream is pure genius. Voices like theirs are def. an acquired taste - lot of the people I know can't stand the Cranberries, for instance, but I adore Dolores' voice... And then there's Joanna Newsome. First time I heard Peach, Plum, Pear I decided it was the worst song I ever heard in my life. A week later, it was my favorite.

I have heard and like Atmosphere. I'm a big fan of hip-hop if it has intelligent lyrics and/or meaning behind it. Del tha Funkee Homosapien is pretty amazing, as is his project Deltron 3030. As far as mainstream goes, Lupe Fiasco is pretty damn good, too - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GQjYPWDcmg is pretty awesome.

Murs is another great 'underground' artist. I think he is - not that well known AFAIK.

And of course there's Busta. Fairly well written, extremely fast and vocally talented, and he doesn't take himself seriously at all. That's probably what I respect most about him. Watching his videos always amuses me - he has so much fun doing what he does, it makes me happy.

What I like most about So

ChrisJ is offline Member

Hmmm, maybe I'll acquire a taste for ratm some day. Smashing pumpkins was one of my favourite bands in school. When I say in school I mean to say that I spent many an afternoon, when I should have been in class, smoking joints in my friend's car and listening to smashing pumpkins, ACDC, Metallica, Black Sabbath, Pink Floyd, lynyrd skynyrd... I particularly remember enjoying zoning out to Shadowlands by Ryan Adams.

I'm now listening to Disarm by Smashing Pumpkins. Awesome.

*goes back to cleaning*

My fresh start in London

DarthFriendly is offline Banned

Chris- Sabbath Bloody Sabbath! \m/ hahaha.

NSwoM babe, there are hundreds of thousands of bands I'd rather not know about, yet with 6billion+ people on the planet, and more arriving everyday, it isn't likely that suck ass music is going to stop anytime soon.

Aaron, please stop!!! You've mentioned the Cranberries, The Scorpions, Yes, and SKID ROW (I was nearly obsessed with Sebastian Bach in high-school. "Forever we stand... just you and me..." Oh, that song is so inspirational I feel like I can fly while it's on! And I don't give a shit that he's a homophobic dick :P) *drools*, next time you identify with my musical obsessions I will tear your clothes off and rape you (virtually).

So hush!

Darth, pumpkin, crabcake, oreo... :] finally, something we agree on. It's why I don't have a tv, why I don't listen to new radio and why I couldn't care less about youtube.

I live entirely in the 70s where all the good music is! (and some 80s and 90s)

Chrissy, I was doing my laundry heh... *shoots herself in the head*

*brain leaks out of head*

I don't own a tv, but I'd like a laundry machine...

I've got the bluuuuuueeees.........

Damn you people got me into some old and good times...

I'm going to go listen to some cock-rock

*puts Whitesnake on*

Oh and ZZ-Top is next. Bad to the bone, baby (I think I'm one of the very few women who love ACDC and ZZTop, not to mention Great White, songs with all their euphemisms for sex and women's breast. I'm definitely the only feminist who has all their albums... )

Heh, "When she's in the mood, she grooves with Mr. Bone..." when I was younger I wasn't entirely sure who Mr. Bone was! But now I know Y_Y

Oh God OH GOD. I remember at a talent show I was gonna do "TNT" and get some hot dancer girls when I sing "women to the left of me... and women to the right", IN BIKINIS! But that didn't fly in school They wanted me to do something more appropriate like a Mandy Moore song (Ryan Adam's wife btw). I was like "fuck no" and stormed off.

HOW RUDE!

*Good thing I don't have any feminist friends because after hearing this they would burn me on a stake, and throw steaks on me.

mmm steaks.

-Raymond Peat, PhD

P.S am I the only one here who's not an Ozzy fan?

*docks from a rock flying my way*

If someone's tone deaf it's dear, drugged up Ozzy.... :P

I did like Limp Bizkit for a while! hahaha! My friends wouldn't talk to me

-Raymond Peat, PhD

Tara tootie is offline Senior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

I would like to tell you Im a member of a group on FB titled "I bet this pickle can get more fans than Nickelback"

LOL

Life on Earth may be punishing, but it includes an annual free trip around the sun!