Thread: Dietary Changes for Rheumatoid Arthritis? + what is the weird supplement? page

gshinkle is offline Junior Member

Dietary Changes for Rheumatoid Arthritis? + what is the weird supplement?

Primal Fuel
    Hello all!

A while back, I made a post about some aches and pains I'd been having - mostly joint pain. After finding it intolerable, I gave in and went to the doctor. Ta-Da! Rheumatoid Arthritis. It affects my left ankle, left elbow, neck, both sides of my jaw, and my right ring and pinky finger. For about a week, I was eating 99.9% vegetables which completed eliminated my finger pain and reduced my ankle inflammation/pain to a point that I couldn't feel it at all unless I twisted my ankle the wrong way. It also helped my elbow quite a bit. Neck pain seems pretty persistent regardless of what I do. I got moody and binged on some chocolate over the weekend and fried fish and everything flared up again instantly. Note that I also take 4g of Curcumin with Biopiperine (this is very helpful), pharmaceutical grade fish oil and 10,000 IUs of D3 daily (I intend to reduce this in a month or so).

Now, that part that confuses me the most - I developed this "disease" in the midst of eating a fairly pristine primal diet. The only exception is that I'd add organic cream to my coffee in the morning.

Personally, I have a very difficult time believing that auto-immune disorders just happen out of the blue for no damn reason. I also have a hard time believing they're always impossible to get rid of. So, in my quest for answers, I've found lots of things that seemingly just make sense.

First off, diet clearly impacts auto-immunity. If you're eating something your body is unable to tolerate, it's going to cause inflammation. For me, I think this was dairy. I've been trying to eat more anti-inflammatory foods but everything I'm finding is telling me to reduce meat intake, and that a "vegetarian diet" has been shown to help RA patients. Is it really possible to conquer RA while consuming organic, grass fed meats? Perhaps I should limit them to once a day? They do seem to be a bit inflammatory. However, cutting down on meats leaves me slightly concerned that I won't be getting enough calories. Is salt inflammatory? Are there any other dietary things I can do to help fight this obnoxious inflammation?

Also, I'm not entirely certain if diet alone is the cause/cure of the rising cases of auto-immune disease.

I've been reading up a lot about the stuff and found that these diseases *might* be somehow linked to all of the toxic chemicals and heavy metals we're constantly inhaling, consuming and absorbing through our skin. Because I'm desperately convinced I can somehow eliminate or at least drastically reduce my symptoms, I started looking into heavy metal detoxes. I found this stuff: Zeotrex - Heavy Metal Cleansing Supplement

It's called Zeotrex and supposedly binds with heavy metals and chemicals and helps remove them from your body. But I can't find anything else online about it, really. This makes me nervous about using it. Then again, I wasn't having much luck finding any well-known heavy metal detox systems or supplements.

Any thoughts on this? Would it be safe to attempt it - even if it doesn't really do the trick?

Anyone completely put RA (or other auto-immune issues) into remission with the paleo diet?

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Some primal foods may not be great for people with autoimmune diseases. I use a low lectin version of primal to keep my RA under control (I am not in remission, but I went from having severe completely disabling disease to being fully functional).

For me that means no nightshades, eggs, nuts, or dairy. Nightshades are the biggest one for my joints - tomatoes, potatoes, peppers, paprika (hidden in everything), tomatillos, eggplant.

I did 60 days with none of the high lectin groups and found my inflammation dropped way, way down. There are a couple of autoimmune threads around here.

I'm not sure I put much stock in the detox stuff. I did see a alternative health practitioner for some time who had really helped a friend of mine with RA. They did a lot of the heavy metal detox stuff - none of it helped me at all. Cost me a fortune though.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Also, make sure you test your vitamin D3 levels and supplement with a good quality D3 in oil until you are in the upper 1/3 of the normal range.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

me2
    me2 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Go on the GAPS diet. Your gut is compromised, leading to autoimmunity.

(don't be scared of the source of this article. GAPS is not associated with any religion, it was created by a neurosurgeon)
    GAPS (Gut and Psychology Syndrome)

Healing Rheumatoid Arthritis on GAPS Diet: Elli Sparks 01/11 by BethWiles | Blog Talk Radio
    Last edited by me2; 06-29-2012 at 08:22 AM.
    Notebook of a Nutrition Nerd

‘THE FOOD YOU EAT CAN BE THE SAFEST AND MOST POWERFUL FORM OF MEDICINE OR THE SLOWEST RELEASING POISON' - Dr Ann Wigmore.